The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:26:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  A Brazilian pick up line!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Brazilian pick up line!  (Read 3646 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« on: May 09, 2007, 19:33:00 pm »

Ups, meant pick up TUBE Roll Eyes, Im basing my trusty 2176 around a new Brazilian case this time over. But I had read about people swapping out the "thin" Brazilian pick up to the slightly larger german one. Has anyone tried this on here? Is it a straight forward switch?

And how about the stock "hat" on the end, with a deep sump, do we really need it, and if we do, how about moving it down to the "new" floor?
I have seen some one remove it to get a easier "return" for the oil.
Any thoughts?
Come on we need some engine talk on here!  Cool   

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 21:16:01 pm »

hey i personally would the 'hat' in place. maybe the oil will get back quicker, but it also will get away faster when you corner and so there will be no oil to pick up. maybe with an extra sump the problem does not occur, but i don't think it is better to remove it. maybe someone has a different theory...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 16:46:08 pm »

Switch it out to the one from the aluminium cases. BIG difference.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:40 am »

Zach, big difference you say, how? I'd like to use a tube the same size as the inlet on my pump, and the stock one is a bit smaller than the pump inlet.

Nicolas, I do agree with you in theory, but since its far from the end of the tube, I don't think it makes any difference... other than being in the "way".

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 16:48:42 pm »

They have a different design, and flow ALOT more. Howard Washington and my friend spent a day testing them on a flow bench, and no doubt the ones from the AL cases are better. To improve the one youve got, you can "bell" the end where it picks up the oil. Kinda like an upside down velocity stack.

Roman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 19:38:54 pm »

On my new engine I am using the Auto Craft suction kit. It looks good but I havent tested it yet.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=237137
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 23:40:26 pm »

They have a different design, and flow ALOT more. Howard Washington and my friend spent a day testing them on a flow bench, and no doubt the ones from the AL cases are better. To improve the one youve got, you can "bell" the end where it picks up the oil. Kinda like an upside down velocity stack.

Thanks thats a good tip, that bell shape will happen.
About the flow, the brazilian is just a bent tube, while the german piece is a complex part, I guess a pipe would flow better than the german thing, if it was the right size?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:17:03 am by JHU » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 03:58:09 am »

hanks good tip, that bell shape will happen.
About the flow, the brazilian is just a bent tube, while the german piece is a complex part, I guess a pipe would flow better than the german thing, if it was the right size?

Righto Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: