The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:05:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BUG IN PICTURES &PICTURES OF OLD CARS IVE HAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: BUG IN PICTURES &PICTURES OF OLD CARS IVE HAD  (Read 30104 times)
Bryan67

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007, 15:04:54 pm »

That brown car with the 13" 8 spokes... I parked next to one just like that back in the 80`s at the Pleasonton Bug Bash. Was that the same car?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 22:47:20 pm »

Cool AWESOME THREAD!

gibber!

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2007, 17:38:32 pm »

Fantastic pictures...!!!
Thanks Scott!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
sqaukinbakken

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 20:25:13 pm »

a 57 euoropean model @fremont drags calif 1988? before they closed scott bakken
sqaukinbakken

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 20:43:52 pm »

glass buggy &72 914
Liou

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 21:13:42 pm »

fantastic this bug med fly with brm's in action  Cool Cool
next.....

My 62 ragtop cal look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 21:44:50 pm »

awesome picture scott  Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Matt H

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 14:28:02 pm »

Awesome photos. Wheres the time machine Grin
Sarge

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 16:11:17 pm »

Nice pic's, Scott!  The only one missing is the one of you and me slumped in our chairs at the Classic, beers in hand, commenting on the passing "scenery." Grin

DKP III
deano

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 17:31:04 pm »

Love the Hang Ten shorts there, Scott!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 17:50:33 pm »

Sweet pics! Lets see more pics from back in the day!

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
sqaukinbakken

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 06:05:44 am »

Hello everyone. Im having my daughter type this because im not so good at typing as fast as she is. Plus shes 16 and wants to drive  VW powderpuff. We will see what happens. Anyway my first car, at 15 years old, my dad had a 1964 volkswagen he bought brand new and he went to have it serviced at an independent shop. So when i was 15 my buddy and I started hanging out at this volkswagen shop. After about two weeks, the boss said " one of you gotta go." My buddy left and I stayed. Worked all summer for the exce. At the end of the summer, the boss gave me my first car that cost $150. A customer brought it in with a rodnock, so it was given to me as a thank you for working all summer. I saved my money, painted it rootbeer metallic brown which cost $128 ( a fortune at the time). About  3 months later, I replaced the master cylinder, did not pull tab over push rod, pulled in to the parents house when it was raining in a circle drive way, the push rod fell off peddle assembly, yanked emergency brake, slid the car into the parents house! Smacked rear end. Goes to body shop. Made 2 friends named Larry Rick and Steve Walker, car goes the way of the cal look. Going to the beach with my buddies on the 5 frwy in Califonria, all of a sudden i saw lots of VWs on the frwy all fixed up . I decided to follow them and ended up at my first bug in. Ever since then ive been hooked in a big way ! Then i painted it Sepia Brown 1964, just got 1700 CC motor put together at 3 a.m. Saturday night (this is comming from a big bore 40 HP ) go to bug in 17 the next morning. Never raced before. Car ran bitchen!! Took top bracket eliminator and over all eliminator against Craigs toy. BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE!! Ive been hooked ever since . Still have the trophy. A few months later, the night before new years, my buddy and I  in our cars where hanging out at Bobs Big Boy, eating dinner, lookin out the window at the   jerks sliding sideways at the enter section in the rain. We finished our dinner and left Bobs. Went 2 blocks up and a drunk pulls out of a bar coming into oncoming traffic right infront of me. Had no time to react and hits me head on. Pictures that i have posted reflect this. So about 2 weeks later, Gary Shbrook (shebee) found me a 1967 for $150. Started body work and painted it Roman Red. (p.s- Sepia brown car totalled 1976). Went to a bug in or two ,had Larry Rick do the body and paint for $600 in his dads drive way and that was the car that was in the issue in Hot VWs called California Killers with Chris Klingaman. Ive got more sotries to follow, but im sharing not gloting. If you like to hear more , let me know as i will have to get my daughter to type it if it is not past her bedtime . Take care fellow VW enthusiasts. Thanks. Scott Bakken
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 07:26:42 am »

Scott I always enjoy your stories either when I talk to you or you post them online.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:58 am »

Cool pics and stories Scott, thanks for sharing them with us loungers!!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 13:56:20 pm »

Hello everyone. Im having my daughter type this because im not so good at typing as fast as she is. Plus shes 16 and wants to drive  VW powderpuff. We will see what happens. Anyway my first car, at 15 years old, my dad had a 1964 volkswagen he bought brand new and he went to have it serviced at an independent shop. So when i was 15 my buddy and I started hanging out at this volkswagen shop. After about two weeks, the boss said " one of you gotta go." My buddy left and I stayed. Worked all summer for the exce. At the end of the summer, the boss gave me my first car that cost $150. A customer brought it in with a rodnock, so it was given to me as a thank you for working all summer. I saved my money, painted it rootbeer metallic brown which cost $128 ( a fortune at the time). About  3 months later, I replaced the master cylinder, did not pull tab over push rod, pulled in to the parents house when it was raining in a circle drive way, the push rod fell off peddle assembly, yanked emergency brake, slid the car into the parents house! Smacked rear end. Goes to body shop. Made 2 friends named Larry Rick and Steve Walker, car goes the way of the cal look. Going to the beach with my buddies on the 5 frwy in Califonria, all of a sudden i saw lots of VWs on the frwy all fixed up . I decided to follow them and ended up at my first bug in. Ever since then ive been hooked in a big way ! Then i painted it Sepia Brown 1964, just got 1700 CC motor put together at 3 a.m. Saturday night (this is comming from a big bore 40 HP ) go to bug in 17 the next morning. Never raced before. Car ran bitchen!! Took top bracket eliminator and over all eliminator against Craigs toy. BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE!! Ive been hooked ever since . Still have the trophy. A few months later, the night before new years, my buddy and I  in our cars where hanging out at Bobs Big Boy, eating dinner, lookin out the window at the   jerks sliding sideways at the enter section in the rain. We finished our dinner and left Bobs. Went 2 blocks up and a drunk pulls out of a bar coming into oncoming traffic right infront of me. Had no time to react and hits me head on. Pictures that i have posted reflect this. So about 2 weeks later, Gary Shbrook (shebee) found me a 1967 for $150. Started body work and painted it Roman Red. (p.s- Sepia brown car totalled 1976). Went to a bug in or two ,had Larry Rick do the body and paint for $600 in his dads drive way and that was the car that was in the issue in Hot VWs called California Killers with Chris Klingaman. Ive got more sotries to follow, but im sharing not gloting. If you like to hear more , let me know as i will have to get my daughter to type it if it is not past her bedtime . Take care fellow VW enthusiasts. Thanks. Scott Bakken
Come on Scott Get it Right!!!!  it's Gary Shubrook  (SHUBEE)   LOL  It's Funny I found you the 67 you Built it got it in Hot VW's then I Got it From You Re Did The Car And Motor The Things I Changed were the Wheels went from 8 spokes to Alloys, Changed the Interior to a Full Interior with Back Seat, Changed Dash adding VDO gauges,And Last But Not Least Made It Faster Changed some things that really Woke up the Motor, Not to Say It was Already A Killer to begin with.... I Really liked everything about that 67, I should have never Sold It..  I Have To Say DSK (DER SELTEN KAFERS) Had Some Nice and Fast Cal Looks Back in The Day!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 13:59:00 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 13:57:55 pm »

Great story, keep them coming. How about a few from the other old timers I see on here.

--louis

Louis Brooks

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2007, 16:22:26 pm »

cool story guys  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
tinman

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2007, 02:20:14 am »

Scott,
 My goodness you have quite a collection of photos! And I thought I had boxes worth from those days long gone.
Want to share thanks for mentioning Larry Rick and myself..we both know you too as one of our best friends!!

I laughed when I saw that photo of your '53 sunroof...Oh, to look so young again. I still remember when we primed in in my dad's driveway. That was such a good car..to find something like it today, good luck.
All your racin pictures bring back some great memories of events we all shared. Thanks for digging them out for the world to enjoy.
Steve Walker
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2007, 02:47:31 am »

I Really liked everything about that 67, I should have never Sold It

Ya you should have taken more pics of it!   Wink  I'd love to see the whole car with the alloys, etc.  Then I could Photoshop the color to see if my 67 should look that way.   Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2007, 02:50:15 am »

I Know I will have to Scan Them

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2007, 03:28:33 am »

That pic with the "FOR SALE", the car looks spot-on! 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
sqaukinbakken

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2007, 03:48:39 am »

steve how are ya buddy had some time on my hads nice to see ya on here. also sarge bring your ice chest and red cups well be spectating soon @the classic gary i remember that red car   lol  those were the days when you didnt get in a lot of trouble for street racin. wuold be nice to have some of those cars back now  bummer huh?. worst ticket i ever got was after a dvb rally 1977 after the pizza parlor and beer drinkin,we all headed off to the nabisco factory industrial area with 1/4 mi marked off  2 too 3 hundred people if i had to guess. tons of cars i raced a guy in dvb harvey whuo?? he beet me first pass rejeted leaned it out to beat him blue his doors off plus my car could stop i had 4 wheel disc brakes my red 67 he keep on gion as soon as i almost stoped the lites on the cop car came on a the end he got me on radar , said he was waiting to lock it in @100 mph but when he lock it he got me for 72 in a 35mph zone exabition of speed, speed contest,driving with out lights during darkness ,and driving on the wrong side off the road, i was craping my pants the only reasion i didnt go to jail was because the was a girl a the start line that told the officers she was my girl freind which see was i, and i was her only way home, plus as soon as the cop lites went on everybody scaderd like cocroaches when the lites go on   what a nite got home safe but wow   ps ticket was about 500.00 and my club DVB paid for part of the ticket that was way cool .  scott bakken those were good times huh steve ??
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 13:30:38 pm »

I love that plaid interior.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2007, 13:59:31 pm »

I love that plaid interior.

--louis
Heres a few more pictures of the Interior when I owned the Car
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 14:07:57 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Dave Galassi

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2007, 14:14:00 pm »

Scott,
 My goodness you have quite a collection of photos! And I thought I had boxes worth from those days long gone.
Want to share thanks for mentioning Larry Rick and myself..we both know you too as one of our best friends!!

I laughed when I saw that photo of your '53 sunroof...Oh, to look so young again. I still remember when we primed in in my dad's driveway. That was such a good car..to find something like it today, good luck.
All your racin pictures bring back some great memories of events we all shared. Thanks for digging them out for the world to enjoy.
Steve Walker

Hello Steve!  Would love to see you at the classic if you are going.  I'll call Larry, too.  Heading out Shubee?

Dave Galassi
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 14:27:29 pm »

Scott,

Steve Walker
I am Going to Try to Make It I was in Calif for my sisters wedding on the 5th so we will see how the cash flow goes  I might be picking up my new find a 55 Oval Window Sunroof it belongs to my sisters Girlfriend she just had her 60th Birthday and has had the Oval since High School It has been Parked inside a building at the Company they own for the Last 42 years Talk about a Barn Find!!!  LOL without the Barn  I went And Saw The Car When I was There Two Weeks Ago Just Waiting To Get All The Paper Work Done And for Them To Dig Out the Extra Parts Her Husband had Bought A Bunch Of Stuff From Bob Scott Years Ago And Everything  is Just Packed Up in boxes In there Warehouse and the Best Part is the Price $$   LOL I am getting it for a SONG!!!!!   LMAO

Hello Steve!  Would love to see you at the classic if you are going.  I'll call Larry, too.  Heading out Shubee?

Dave Galassi

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2007, 14:31:08 pm »

Hello Dave
I am Going to Try to Make It I was in Calif for my sisters wedding on the 5th so we will see how the cash flow goes  I might be picking up my new find a 55 Oval Window Sunroof it belongs to my sisters Girlfriend she just had her 60th Birthday and has had the Oval since High School It has been Parked inside a building at the Company they own for the Last 42 years Talk about a Barn Find!!!  LOL without the Barn  I went And Saw The Car When I was There Two Weeks Ago Just Waiting To Get All The Paper Work Done And for Them To Dig Out the Extra Parts Her Husband had Bought A Bunch Of Stuff From Bob Scott Years Ago And Everything  is Just Packed Up in boxes In there Warehouse and the Best Part is the Price $$   LOL I am getting it for a SONG!!!!!   LMAO   When I Get This Car it Will Make my 49th VW    And It Will Be Another OLD SCHOOL CAL LOOK!!!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 14:33:42 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Dave Galassi

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2007, 16:10:06 pm »

Some things never change Shubee................congratulations!

Thanks for the pictures Scott, lots of memories there.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: