The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 22:57:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SOME EARLY ADVENTURES OF JIM & JOHN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: SOME EARLY ADVENTURES OF JIM & JOHN  (Read 22444 times)
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 07:28:40 am »

My family had many weekend picnics at Irvine Park in the 60s, spent hours hiking , playing hide&seek , riding bikes, etc. lots of good times and memories. On my last trip to O.C. I drove through the Canyon, and didn't recognize much of it, it has indeed changed so much.   Thanks for the pics John   Smiley
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 07:42:07 am »

My family had many weekend picnics at Irvine Park in the 60s, spent hours hiking , playing hide&seek , riding bikes, etc. lots of good times and memories. On my last trip to O.C. I drove through the Canyon, and didn't recognize much of it, it has indeed changed so much.   Thanks for the pics John   Smiley

A lot of the roads have been "moved."

Used to be that Chapman Ave. ended at Irvine Park and Santiago Blvd. crossed it.
Now Chapman has been moved south and meets the east leg of Santiago.

On a side note... does any one remember Bob & Jeans Place not to far from the park?
Had a few beers and rounds of pool at that place!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 17:09:35 pm »

Great pics John!

Georg/DFL

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 01:39:09 am »

As always: Thanks for sharing, John! So much fun to look at all those old photos and read your stories!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 16:15:07 pm »

John your a true historian! I guess I was blessed getting into VW's back in 72 and still going strong!

Thanks for the pictures & stories!!
johnl

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 17:03:19 pm »

John your a true historian! I guess I was blessed getting into VW's back in 72 and still going strong!

Thanks for the pictures & stories!!

Dominick,  Don't know about the "historian" part.  Back in the day I took photos of what was important to me at the time but had no intention on the photos being appreciated so much 40+  years later.  As I've stated a few times before I guess I've been blessed with a good memory for events and details.  I must get that from my 93 year old mother who still makes me look like an amature department..

The only reason this stuff has become "public" is because of my renewed interest in VWs and those times.  Over the past few years I've had a great time finding this stuff and sharing it and don't forget it is people like you that light the fire to inspire me.  Thank you for your kind words....   Smiley Smiley

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Tony M

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 18:43:59 pm »

Bob and Jeans was the place, best chili burger in so-cal. Not much to look at, but every body was invited. How about the steak house out Santiago Cyn. just cant remember the name, cut your tie off and hang it from the roof. Yea good times in so-cal in the 60/70's.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
johnl

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 19:06:02 pm »

Bob and Jeans was the place, best chili burger in so-cal. Not much to look at, but every body was invited. How about the steak house out Santiago Cyn. just cant remember the name, cut your tie off and hang it from the roof. Yea good times in so-cal in the 60/70's.

There was a place that cut ties off at Garden Grove Blvd. and Beach Blvd.  It was Pinnacle Peak and was torn down some years ago.  I don't know if they had other locations but this might be the place you are talking about.  Here is a link:  [http://www.pinnaclepeaksteakhouse.com//color]

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fritter

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 19:47:47 pm »

John, thanks for devoting the time to scan and post these old pics.  They are very inspiring to me to drive and work on my '64 cal looker.  Your posts are kind of like added chapters to Keith's two Cal Look books in my mind.  I look forward to future posts from you!

It's been too quiet around here lately!! 

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 19:59:45 pm »

Trabuco Oaks! It's still there.
Just told my wife that we needed to go out there.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Silas

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:21 am »

outstanding pics john! thanks for sharing!

i love the looks of the late 60's/early 70's lookers ...

Zündfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
Drù

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 00:05:44 am »

John, thanks for sharing this wondeful memories and pics ...  Cool

kaferdave

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:21 am »

There was a Pinnacle Peaks in the San Diego area, as late as the mid-1980's, I didn't know any better and lost a perfectly good tie there.
John, thanks for the photos of Sarge, they are going to  come in handy... Cool

Seems to me, you could get either a Ford Falcon, or a Chevy II  Nova, out of either the S&H Green Stamps, or Blue Chip, catalog..it was something like 8,000 books of stamps or something...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 08:46:07 am »

Trabuco Oaks! It's still there.
Just told my wife that we needed to go out there.
Been there a couple of times with Doug Mische. Great place!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: