The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 17:49:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  oil pressure valves in the case...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: oil pressure valves in the case...  (Read 40805 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2011, 17:29:05 pm »

Yup, if I have to ever stop for a cattle drive, I might get into trouble. Grin  Lol.  This car will at best be tooling around town on occasion or else primarily hitting our 1/8 mile strip, so I'm prepared to run what I gots for now. 

I figure I'll try the other oil pump for giggles since it's not that hard to swap out, and I have the parts... figure can't hurt anything.

You haven't put the bigger pump in yet?! Do it already!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2011, 18:01:38 pm »

Yup, if I have to ever stop for a cattle drive, I might get into trouble. Grin  Lol.  This car will at best be tooling around town on occasion or else primarily hitting our 1/8 mile strip, so I'm prepared to run what I gots for now. 

I figure I'll try the other oil pump for giggles since it's not that hard to swap out, and I have the parts... figure can't hurt anything.

You haven't put the bigger pump in yet?! Do it already!

Well, not exactly... I installed  30mm Schadeck pump to find no change... next step is the cast iron one Jason L from VW Paradise sent my way.  I woulda done it last night but had to work! Dang evening meetings...Grin  Likely heading out there again this evening.  I considered Wednesday night's session with the better mechanical gauge a success, as I at least know my oil pressure isn't starvingly low, so the engine is indeed operable.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2011, 18:21:14 pm »

Put that new pump and start having fun!  Grin

bugnut68

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2011, 18:23:17 pm »

I'm more than ready for that last part! Grin  Lol. 
Speed-Randy

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2011, 00:35:28 am »

Dude, just drive the thing. Worm has had the same problem since he bought the car. As long as the oil's moving you'll be alright, put an external cooler with a fan on it. It might runner a few degrees hotter than another engine, but whose to say the next one wont do the same thing.

bugnut68

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2011, 00:46:16 am »

That's where I'm at, pretty much.  It's not like I really built this thing to be a highway hauler or 100K motor by any stretch.  My goal is to fix a few leaks this weekend and finalize a few other details on the car before starting to put some miles on it.
bugnut68

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:05 am »

Annnnnnnnnd....... seized.  Apparently.  Awesome.

Swapped out the Schadeck 30mm pump for a Melling/cast iron pump (snug ass fit compared to the Schadecks, let me tell you what) today, and took the time to helicoil the four pump stud holes in the case as at least two were stripped.  I wound up helicoiling them all for the hell of it since I was in there.  Put everything back together, tried to fire it up and the starter clicks dully like one that cannot turn over a locked up sumbitching engine.  Tried to turn it over by hand and only the crank pulley bolt turns; it ain't going anywhere.  Tried to push it to see if the starter was locked up (before trying to turn it over by hand) and no dice.  the car bounced but it would kick the engine over.

Must be a spun bearing in there, somehow, someway... don't know how it would have happened since the mains were all properly indexed (I'm very meticulous with these details during assembly, knowing I don't want to go back in there anytime soon after).  Everything was fine in short block stage, still fine as the top end came together... but this would explain the low oil pressure if a bearing twisted somehow and blocked off oil flow.

Great weekend so far, all in all.  Prior to working on the car I got word that my grandfather's health is rapidly declining (Alzheimers and lung cancer), so I'm heading over there tomorrow after covering a Sept. 11 memorial put on early in the morning by our local Veterans of Foreign Wars office.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:07 am »

Since you changed the pump I'd be willing to bet you have zero pump to cam bolt clearance and that's why the engine isn't turning over.

Bruce

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:57 am »

Must be a spun bearing in there, somehow, someway...
No way.  A bearing spins when the engine is running, and the engine loudly tells you it happens.
Something is wrong with the pump like Zach said.
bugnut68

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2011, 17:20:47 pm »

I'm sure you guys are right... my head's in two other places right now, in family crisis mode and all, so I'm not necessarily thinking terribly logically.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2011, 20:01:59 pm »

Hang in there buddy.

bugnut68

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2011, 16:31:39 pm »

Hang in there buddy.

Yeah, it's hard but I'm trying... my grandfather's not doing so well right now, hospice is now involved and things are getting pretty bad.  Went to go visit him yesterday, and I'm glad I did as it's hard to say how much time he's got left, but I sure hope he doesn't suffer. 
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2011, 20:48:43 pm »

Hang in there buddy.

x2  Wink

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2011, 10:05:55 am »

X3    family is priority #1       KG
bugnut68

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2011, 16:47:26 pm »

Just got a  call from my mom last night, sounds like my grandfather is rapidly deteriorating.... hospice guesstimates 1 to 4 weeks left at this point. As strong as my grandfather was a for most of his life, I'm floored that this is what it's all come down to, ultimately.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2011, 18:17:05 pm »

It gets us all... when I go I hope hospice has nothing to do with it! I hope he's without pain. I lost my grand dad last October, I was thinking the same thing.

bugnut68

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2011, 18:33:54 pm »

There's always been a VW in my family one way or the other... my grandfolks had a '55 Oval with semaphores they bought from my Dad way back when...lol.

It isn't easy either way... last night's foray into the shop was unsuccessful. Broke a pulley puller trying to get my pulley off and the rest of the night was spent trying to fix the tool.
bugnut68

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2011, 17:13:05 pm »

Some progress being made... managed to get the pulley off and the cast iron pump is starting to come out after last night's efforts in the shop.  I've all but killed my poor three engine builds-old oil pump puller in trying to get the pump out... she's a stubborn one.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:51 am »

Try loosening the case bolts above and below the oil pump opening, this eases the clamping force of the case on the oil pump , making the removal and installation of the oil pump easier....   just my experience         KG
bugnut68

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2011, 16:47:52 pm »

Try loosening the case bolts above and below the oil pump opening, this eases the clamping force of the case on the oil pump , making the removal and installation of the oil pump easier....   just my experience         KG

Already did that... grandpa passed this weekend so it'll likely be a bit before I can get to it again.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2011, 17:51:57 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that Sad

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2011, 17:52:44 pm »

Sorry to hear that too Ryan.

bugnut68

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2011, 21:52:26 pm »

Yeah, it's rough.  Funeral service is on Wednesday, I may try to head out to the shop tonight for a little bit, see if I can get the pump all the way out... it's my buddy's shop and I don't want the car to be in his way.  The loss in the family is all the more realized when you get together and visit with other relatives, as I did this past weekend.  I can only imagine how my grandma must feel after nearly 65 years of living with the same person.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2011, 00:41:08 am »

I'm sorry for you and you're family's loss, working on your car at a time like this is a healthy distraction from everything else going on, it has always worked for me.   Ask you're grandma how shes feeling , coming from her grandson, I'm sure she will take it as a sign of interest and love, I'm sure.             
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2011, 00:53:32 am »

Already did that... grandpa passed this weekend so it'll likely be a bit before I can get to it again.

Sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
bugnut68

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2011, 01:18:40 am »

Thanks, all, it's truly appreciated.  My grandma has plenty of family around her right now.  I was over there for the weekend visiting and will be going back for the funeral this week.  I anticipate it will be a crowded house; he was a good man for sure.

I'll likely get out to the shop this week sometime... think I'm going to have to order a new puller tool, as my old one is all "taco'd" out... the pump is about 1/3 or 1/2 way out, but its a real tight fit, so I just have to keep at it.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:41 am »

Thanks, all, it's truly appreciated.  My grandma has plenty of family around her right now.  I was over there for the weekend visiting and will be going back for the funeral this week.  I anticipate it will be a crowded house; he was a good man for sure.

I'll likely get out to the shop this week sometime... think I'm going to have to order a new puller tool, as my old one is all "taco'd" out... the pump is about 1/3 or 1/2 way out, but its a real tight fit, so I just have to keep at it.
pm your address, I'll send one up

stealth67vw

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2011, 05:19:58 am »

Sorry to hear about your grandpa Ryan.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Bruce

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2011, 08:39:42 am »

. think I'm going to have to order a new puller tool, as my old one is all "taco'd" out... the pump is about 1/3 or 1/2 way out, but its a real tight fit,
Warm up the case around the pump with a heat gun.  The iron pump won't expand as much as the case, allowing you to simply pull it out with your hand (in a glove).
bugnut68

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2011, 18:53:25 pm »

. think I'm going to have to order a new puller tool, as my old one is all "taco'd" out... the pump is about 1/3 or 1/2 way out, but its a real tight fit,
Warm up the case around the pump with a heat gun.  The iron pump won't expand as much as the case, allowing you to simply pull it out with your hand (in a glove).

Thanks, Bruce, I'll give it a whirl.  I know Harbor Freight sells heat guns, but I'm guessing a hair dryer would do the trick as well?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: