The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:39:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  My NOS and old school part score!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My NOS and old school part score!!  (Read 4458 times)
brian e

« on: August 06, 2011, 00:04:16 am »

Hello,
 Just thought I would share some pics of some stuff I bought from a retired local VW engine builder/tech.  Cool older guy.  He worked in dealerships or the local repair shop from 1971 till 1994 here in Rapid City, SD.  During that time the shop built a little drag car called the Lil' Skunk.  It was a black early car w/white stripes over the top to mock another guy in his black w/ white striped chevelle.  It is somewhat of a legend with the older hot rod guys in town.  Everybody talks about the wheelie's shifting into second.  Anyways, this guy used to build the engines for the race car and the local vw crowd.  During his time, he slowly collected parts he thought were cool to one day build what he thought was his ultimate engine.  He used to have a '57 oval, so some of the other parts were for that.  I think he said he sold the oval in the mid 90's, but kept all the parts.  He is now into older BMW motorcycles.  He had pretty much all the parts to build a 74x88 mini stroker.  He saved only the good stuff for the 1800cc engine parts, and also just about enough stuff for a hot 36hp.  Here are some pics.  I will be selling most of the extra, and building the engine to put in my '68 Looker I am about to get painted.  Not in the pics are an early Empi Mag. sump, and a early Empi filter pump i still need to pick up.   Sorry the pics are little large.  I don't have any editing programs on the work computer.

AS21 case, never align bored, but cut for 88's, NIB Speed Unlimited 74mm full circle crank, Truhaft 0123???  cam, 3 lightened flywheels, 40mm DCNF's on berg maniflods, OG Empi 1.4 rockers, NIB Truhaft aluminum retainers, 7- Empi orange springs, etc....

NPR/Deano and Whitfield pumps

Empi/Mahle Aluminum Biral 88mm P&C from the old racecar.  It dropped a valve, so there is only 3  Sad

Empi 40hp 69mm stroker crank

Extra stuff.  Drager and dehne fuel gauges, 6 volt vdo oil temp, '67 backup lights, etc.

I just thought you guys might like to see some more old school stuff.

Thanks, Brian
Cornpanzer

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 00:16:34 am »

Ohhh, nice score.  Those carbs look like they might be Berg Specials.  Cool!  The fuel gauge in the blue dash panel is a nice piece. 

Did he happen to have any early Porsche 911 parts, race seats or Momo steering wheels?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
brian e

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 00:24:11 am »

Ohhh, nice score.  Those carbs look like they might be Berg Specials.  Cool!  The fuel gauge in the blue dash panel is a nice piece. 

Did he happen to have any early Porsche 911 parts, race seats or Momo steering wheels?

From the little bit of research I did, I don't think they are berg specials.  They still have the choke stuff, normal mix screws and none of the passage plugs have been messed with. 

No porsche stuff in these parts.  Not even many VW's up here.  But if you want rusty old tractor's we got plenty!!!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:12:03 am »

I have fond memories of Rapid City, it was the first rest stop on a mad cross-country dash from PA to WA I made with some friends about seven years ago. Cool to see some hot VW stuff happening there.

Nice score, by the way!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:50:25 am »

My grandmother is from Rapid City, originally... those farm towns can be a treasure trove of VW stuff since there's few people around that know much about them.
j-dub

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:52:49 am »

Nice score! Shocked
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:57:37 am »

Wow cool score , be interested to see the empi Mag , the early msd is very cool as are the dizzy's  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
iowa mark

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:15:56 am »

My grandmother is from Rapid City, originally... those farm towns can be a treasure trove of VW stuff since there's few people around that know much about them.

You might be very surprised at the knowledge that is possible in a small farming town. Not all "hicks in the sticks" any more!
bugnut68

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:20:40 am »

You might be very surprised at the knowledge that is possible in a small farming town. Not all "hicks in the sticks" any more!

Oh I'm sure I would, lol.  I wasn't insinuating or implying hicks or anything like that... just limited VWs can be found and therefore usually little interest, is what I meant.  I live in one of these towns, myself, at the moment. Grin
brian e

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 04:45:19 am »

Here was my other lucky score from the small town of sturgis a few miles north.  Found this one on craigslist.  Not really into buses, but you cant pass up a screaming deal when it falls into your lap.  I will sit on this one for a while, then sell it to help fund a garage addition.

29,000 miles.  been parked since 1969.  It lost a rod in the bastard 40hp.  Every part of the engine and tin are still in the back.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 01:15:43 am »

Nice finds  Shocked Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: