The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 12:28:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What crap looks like.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What crap looks like.  (Read 13280 times)
edcraig

« on: August 14, 2011, 04:29:30 am »

Many of you already know this, but the fuel regulator shown here is a piece of crap.  While making a parts run in my Ghia today, another driver flagged me down to tell me I was leaking something.  I pulled over and found the my fuel regulator was dumping gas.  Fortunately, the only loss was about 5 gallons of gas. It was a easy fix and I went on my way after.  I already planned on replacing it with a Holley Regulator, but have not had the time to do so.  I guess I'm pretty lucky I didn't loose the car.  The regulator is maybe 6 months old and has about 200 miles on it at best.  Fun stuff!

...Ed

Legendary DRA
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:36:30 am »

Thank God you didn't have a fire!

I also park at Nick's.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:41:18 am »

Thank God you didn't have a fire!
X2

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
kingsburgphil

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:42:22 am »

You're correct the regulator is crap....but its that fuel line that looks scary. It appears to have had an internal failure.
IMFXO, I wouldn't jeopardize a car as nice as yours with questionable rubber hose.  
tonybone

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:47:58 am »

100% crap!!!!
They not only leak, but the dial in pressure desired is way off what it actually delivers to the carbs.
We found this out years ago.

The Holley unit is good as is a filter king unit.

Fuels leaks destroy our pride and joy.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 15:06:37 pm »

Wow, Ed... very stoked that nothing happened to you or your car. That could have been obviously much worse. One of the main reasons I personally don't trust anything other than factory fuel pumps on a street car. VW engineers practiced greatness when they built these cars.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 15:19:58 pm »

The fuel line is in good shape.  You are probably seeing the silicone wrap I use on the clamps.  It's been pulled away when I cut off the regulator.

Ed
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 15:28:54 pm »

I'm also glad there was no fire! A few weeks ago Maize and I were coming back from the track and he lost the hinge/pin/screw thingy out of one IDA. Lots of gas there, luckily no fire!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Russell

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 16:32:32 pm »

Ed

That car sounds like bad luck for you, maybe you should off load it...... Im sure i can find some space for a Ghia  Grin Grin Grin

Best Regards

Russell
mr horsepower

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 17:11:48 pm »

So you think a holley is better MMMMMM
I would do my home work if i was you .

gr henri
RobtheManx

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 18:22:12 pm »

I have one of those on NED Bug , thanks for the Heads up , I'll get rid ASAP .

Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Larry S

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 19:01:04 pm »

I went through two of them in one day before I gave up on getting one that works, first one wouldn't let any gas through ( I guess it was factory set at zero pressure) and wouldn't adjust and the second leaking like crazy out of the adjuster top. We used ones that looked like it in the 70's and 80's but I guess they were built better, not China junk.

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 19:12:51 pm »

I'd go with a Filter King / Malpassi hands down !
If you do some searching, they also came in magnesium !
 Shocked
LuftsickTero

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 19:43:16 pm »

Many of you already know this, but the fuel regulator shown here is a piece of crap. 

Purolator?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
glenn

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 20:04:14 pm »

Consider yourself lucky. Last week a good friend a set of dual Kadrons and used one of those cheap regulators. A few days later he smelled gas but say nothing. One mile later it burst into flames.

Here's some daylight pictures.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
edcraig

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 00:23:27 am »

I did some research on regulators a while ago and it looked like the Holley would be a good choice.  However, now I'm hearing some other opinions.   Any other brand suggestions?  Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Holley?

Really sad to see what happened to that yellowVW Thing.  What a way to loose a car.  That could have been mine in another mile or so.  All is good now.  Dumped the craptaculor regulator and just running without one for the time being.  The motor has been cleaned up and ready for the VW Jamboree next weekend.

Russell...not quite ready to sell yet.  Actually, no plans ever, but I also learned to never say never!

Speed-Randy

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:24 am »

Very lucky Ed, I've run one of those for 5 years trouble free, Maybe I'm lucky as well. I'm headed out to get a lottery ticket Wink

glenn

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:09:30 am »

Why not just shim the mechanical fuel pump to se the pressure, that's what i did.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
edcraig

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 04:12:34 am »

Glenn,

Good point.  I think I'll give that a shot.  Thanks!

...Ed

The legendary DRA
Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 05:49:53 am »

Why not just shim the mechanical fuel pump to se the pressure, that's what i did.

Quoted for truth.

~Sarge
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:57 am »

Mounting fuel regulators in engine compartment , not a good idea, mounting up to date fire extinguishers in passenger compartment, good idea... 
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 15:11:21 pm »

Hello.
While I do agree on the less desireable function of the above leaking crome pressure regulator¨, I must say that over time I have installed aty least 20 of those to overcome too much fuel pressure with especially Kadrons the fast and easy way. - I have never experienced one leaking. My favourite is also Filterking/Malpasi. After that Mallory.
T
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 15:51:17 pm »

Another leaky fuel part to look out for, the glass (now made of plastic) fuel filters. The last time I drove my car the EMPI glass filter sprung a leak, left a stream of fuel on the ground as I backed out of the drive. Glad I caught it before any damage was done. Needless to say, it's not going back on the rebuilt engine.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
edcraig

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 04:46:47 am »

Zack,

Good point on the filter.  I'm using a glass version right now.  It is glass, and not the plastic version, but now I'm a little nervous about it so its coming off. The old original Filters and Regulators of this design were always good quality, but that was 25 plus years ago. 

I just got some trim rings for the stock wheels on my daughter's 66.  I figured...how bad could a trim ring be.  Well...the slice on my finger from the razor sharp edges told me how bad.

I know there is still some good quality reproductions out there, but some of this stuff is real craptactular.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 05:30:36 am »

Hence why it's best to locate fuel filters away from engine compartments and exhaust areas.

~Sarge
glenn

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 11:43:40 am »

Do you really need a clear filter?

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 13:56:53 pm »

Glenn's right... on later VWs, fuel filters were just like the one shown. Great location, too... exactly where I installed mine. Worse scenario during a hose or filter malfunction; you lose fuel. NOT your car.

Besides, I like my engine compartment devoid of fuel filter clutter.

~Sarge
Speed-Randy

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 14:11:45 pm »

After talking with a few friends who work on these cars foe a living, they're telling me it's not so much the parts as it is the fuel we are running thru them. It's eating the fuel hoses prematurely, as well as related rubber parts, pumps, seals, etc. Just food for thought

glenn

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 14:22:51 pm »

After talking with a few friends who work on these cars foe a living, they're telling me it's not so much the parts as it is the fuel we are running thru them. It's eating the fuel hoses prematurely, as well as related rubber parts, pumps, seals, etc. Just food for thought
That is true, the E10 sold in the US is attacking the German rubber hose and seals in the carbs. After speaking to Art Thraen about it he told me IDAs have the least about of rubber seals while Dellortos have the most. Some shops are not longer using German woven hose and have switched to a alcohol safe hose. I set up my 2180 with hardline running to and from the fuel pump and between the carbs. There's only a few inches of hose and I change it every 3 years. Also using a fuel stabilizer when storing the vehicle will help.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 15:45:52 pm »

Yeah, even though I replaced the filter element and the seals on my old glass filter, I think the fuel ate away at the seals, and caused the end caps to loosen up. It was on there for less than a year.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: