The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:44:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  YELLOW BRAKE DRUMS, a history
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: YELLOW BRAKE DRUMS, a history  (Read 6678 times)
johnl

« on: August 15, 2011, 22:47:19 pm »

I was going to save this for photos, but honestly I don't think they are necessary.  Over the weekend I was watching a DVD of the European Bug-In gifted to me via Gregg Bunch.  Much of this was devoted to Mark & Paul Schley and there was early footage of their black ’63 fresh air sedan with red interior.  This is basically the twin car I've owned for 30 years and drive to all events.  In fact, when I drove it to the DKP reunion at Schley’s home they both commented about buying it from me to recreate their original car.

What immediately caught my eye were the front brake drums on the slalom course which was a bright yellow.  I didn't notice this in the rear, but it made me think back to possibly how this look came to be.

When I met Rich Kugel in late 1963 I soon learned that his dad owned and operated the Dutch Boy Paint store in the center located on the north east corner of Lincoln and Knott Ave. in Buena Park.  One day when we were there Rich went over and took a pint can of bright yellow off the shelf.

To the back of the store we went and after mixing the stuff up out the back door we went.  Each one of us jacked up the rear of our cars, removed a wheel and yes, applied a liberal coat of the yellow stuff.  It took a while for the stuff to dry before we could mount the wheel and hit the road.

Neither of us was running rear caps but had VW chrome wheels.  To clarify these had no slots and were ˝” positive offset which was ultra cool back in the day.  Our wheels came from 101 Chrome and Speed which was located on the southwest corner of Harbor and Commonwealth in Fullerton.  Yes Mr. Schwimmer, that is just around the corner from your digs !!  Today this is a fine china store I think, but over the years has been many things including a Pawn Shop.

Later I had Porsche caps on the front and painted the black around the crest the same yellow.  Mike Johnston, DKP I, recently reminded me that I sold him the two chrome wheels and the custom yellow caps for $40.  He also informed me that he had to borrow the $$ to make it happen.

I think Rich always retained the yellow drums, but over time I moved to different rims with a new look.  Ah, but that is another story……………………

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
beatnik beetle

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:37:36 am »

Thats a cool story..thank you.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 14:49:38 pm »

like this  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 15:31:42 pm »

like this  Wink

That would be the "look" except we used VW chrome rims instead of Porsche style slotted.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 18:47:49 pm »

again a much appreciated story from yesteryear. thanks!
volksnut

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »

funny you should bring that up.....it must have been some universal thing because in 77' I was into Pontiac's and I felt the need to paint my rear brake drums yellow too, well at least the center you could see through the chrome reverse rims  Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 20:35:22 pm »

Or like this  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
johnl

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 21:55:18 pm »

The only difference I see is that we also painted the "nut" yellow.  When the header brand name was painted on the fender there was no mention of "equal length".  Beyond those two items this is exactly as it was back in the day....

Oh and in reading my original post I mention my black '63 which was like Schley's.  Drove that car today to Cars & Coffee and joined up with a bunch of the old DKP guys.  We went to breakfast after the event and as always had a great time.  I'm glad all of these years later these guys are still in my life.............

Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 22:03:11 pm »

Yeah I know about the logo John...... Its kind of a mix of several versions of the logo I have seen in different pic's, The "star" comes from Don Crane's Red 67  Smiley

Also I need to "touch-up" the yellow on the rear drums so I'll probably do the nuts then..... I might even do my porsche crests on the front hubcaps too  Wink

At the moment I have taken off the front hubcaps & the bumper and its given the car a kinda "Street-Racer" look..... I am soo please I painted the drums  Grin

johnl

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 22:16:20 pm »

There is certainly nothing wrong with what you did by adding the statement and I personally like it.  I remember back many moons ago taking my car down to Chestnut St. in Anaheim just a few doors from where the DKP Club House would be a few years later and having a sign painter apply "Fourtuned Headers" to my fenders.  I'm sure the guy thought I was nuts but he cheerfully took my $$.  When I drove away from him I'm sure the car went much faster and I thought I was about the coolest thing on the road but my Dad just shook his head when he saw what I'd done.

I think in some previous post I'd mention that the first time I'd ever seen a brand name of a header painted on a VW fender was Rich Kugel's gold '58.  He ran Jardine Headers on his 36hp and he should be the guy credited for the idea.

Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 22:54:13 pm »

Hehehehe I was actually going to go with the "Fourtuned Headers" logo but I didn't think enough people would "Get" it  Wink Smiley

But I sure the 65 went 10kph faster WITH the logo...... maybe 15kph  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

peejke

Keep it simple...

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 21:58:56 pm »

just found a NOS fourtuned dual quiet pack on a local swap-meet, don't no the age ...

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: