The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:57:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Who use LAT in their gearbox?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who use LAT in their gearbox?  (Read 2917 times)
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« on: August 31, 2011, 13:42:32 pm »

LAT is apparantly THE hype on the oil front the last two years or so. I have heard that lots of the racers over there use LAT in both their engines and their gearboxes and it seems like everyone is happy.

My question is: do you use LAT in your T1 gearbox? If so, which one? I recently bought their top-of-the line 75W-140:

LAT High Performance Synthetic Gear Oils are formulated for maximum protection under extreme loads and high temperatures. Provides superior shock load and wear protection. LAT’s Synthetic Gear Oil gives you the security of ultimate protection in extreme conditions. Minimum power loss and a reduction in operating temperatures. Blended from the highest quality synthetic Group IV and V base oils with extreme pressure additives and LAT’s exclusive LFR additive.

Features
• Heavy shock load
• High load carrying capability
• Very high VI
• Extreme wear protection
• Reduces operating temperatures.

Nice reading until I found on this on the Rancho page:

Specialty synthetic oil FOR USE IN MENDEOLA, ALBINS, PBS and FORTIN transmissions. NOT FOR USE IN VW transaxles. This is a full synthetic high performance gear oil designed to provide superior shock load and wear protection under the most extreme conditions. Specifically developed to reduce friction and wear at sustained high operating temperatures. LAT 75-140 enhances shift selection with smoother more precise shift actuation. The unique lubricant is formulated from the highest quality synthetic base oils fortified with VI improvers, rust inhibitors, foam suppressants and LAT’s exclusive LFR extreme pressure additive. Exceeds API GL-5. LAT GEAR OIL. Sold by the quart.

Why should it not be used in T1 gearbox?

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
bang

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 14:00:53 pm »

i use it without proublems.. and will use it agin..
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 15:21:27 pm »

I use LAT Lubricants exclusively, call Rancho Performance Transmissions for what weight to use. (714) 680-6737 ask for Mike or Sam.
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 16:51:49 pm »

LAT products are made by racers for racers and high performance street cars.
Superior products in my opinion. 

I'm the European dealer for LAT lubricants and have both engine and transmission oil in stock.

Rolf(at)boxerservice.dk

/Rolf

RMS Boxer Service
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 16:59:33 pm »

Thanks Rolf and Dom,

I called Mike at Rancho and he advised me not to use the LAT 75w-140 in any gearbox with syncros. Sure, If I already have the oil (which I do) I could just as well use it but I could experience that it would not shift as smoothly as a non syntetic, thicker oil.

Rolf, have you opened a T1 gearbox with syncros that has been using LAT 75w-140?

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 17:43:43 pm »

Kalle,  It was me who sold you the oil at SCC Wink. The only transmission with 70/145 oil I have seen inside did'nt have
syncros but slickshift and I can't really compare that to stock syncros.  If the oil still are unopen I will swap it with the
80W90 oil for VW transmissions.

/Rolf
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: