The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 16:39:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Engine Builder in the UK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engine Builder in the UK  (Read 3441 times)
71CALRIPPER

« on: October 27, 2011, 08:49:11 am »

After selling all the dubs due to not having space to keep them for a good 2 years, I decided I still like a good parts hunt so are there any recomended engine builders in the uk that are willing to allow the customer to assemble the parts under there guidance...

Not looking to build it myself but I would like to assemble the parts..

Thank you
leec

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 14:04:04 pm »

Hi Rob,

Matt Keene built my 2276cc from parts I purchased myself (a lot came from serranos as I'm sure you remember)
He was more than happy to do this but he made some recomendations on parts upgrading.

Fantastic level of pride/detail in his work, and the results speak for themselves.
11 second 1/4 mile and NO issues with the motor. Matt has always answered the phone when I've had silly questions to ask!

Lee
Steve Wright

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 14:41:12 pm »

For me there's only one man for the job: Ian Clark of WPS. What he doesn't know about putting together the very best VW engine isn't worth writing on the back of a postage stamp. Ian built the engine for my Razor 5 years ago and it's performed flawlessly: Scat wedge-mated crank, Carrillo rods, J&E pistons & Mahle barrels, 46 IDA's, Vertex mag, CSP exhaust, etc, etc. Pulls like a train, gives 14 sec quarter miles in a HEAVY fully road based T34, has seen 135mph down the back straight at Goodwood and is verifiably quicker than a 911 2.4S.  Give him a call on 01932 701521.

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 17:06:24 pm »

Hi Rob,

Matt Keene built my 2276cc from parts I purchased myself (a lot came from serranos as I'm sure you remember)
He was more than happy to do this but he made some recomendations on parts upgrading.

Fantastic level of pride/detail in his work, and the results speak for themselves.
11 second 1/4 mile and NO issues with the motor. Matt has always answered the phone when I've had silly questions to ask!

Lee

Cheers dude I was hoping you would chip in, I will drop him a PM and see what he says

Thank you
Rob
leec

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 20:47:54 pm »

So what you up to Rob?!! Grin

please don't keep Matt too busy though, I have another motor going to him next year

Lee
streetvw

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 23:57:51 pm »

John Maher did this with me and my bro when he was in Manchester many years ago he did all the machine work and handed out loads and loads of advice and tea  Wink and we did the trial and fianl assembly, then had John run the Cam inand set up the carbs then after they had a few miles under their belts John dyno'd them.

John's a super helpful guy what he does'nt know about VW motors ain't worth knowing
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:58:17 am »

So what you up to Rob?!! Grin

please don't keep Matt too busy though, I have another motor going to him next year

Lee

No Much Lee busy buying a Flat in london So space and Money is tight hense why I thought just putting the parts together for a motor doesnt take up to much of either..IF I can take my time doing it.

We shall see, I think JMR is a tad to far away these days I would like to spend some time during the build so I understand more..

Rob
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:02:52 am »

I did this with JC @ stateside tuning when he was based in Enfield.

If you buy the parts from the guy who is putting the engine together they really should have the time to talk and provide advice.  Just try and decide upon an engine spec and go from there.  I would leave things like cam and heads to the end, that way you won't have to change them every time you have a new idea.  this to me is the only problem with amassing parts over the years. 

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:22 am »

Yeah I Know it needs to be a nice street motor, I know I dont have the mind set or budget for a full on drag motor. I have picked up a very nice set of Denham Heads which will be my starting point. I will have a chat with Matt to see if he is Keane.. Get it haha..
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:49:45 am »

Matt is almost as far away as JMR.

What about mr Webb? or mr mansi (Barnet)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:56:01 am by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
leec

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:37:03 am »

Matt has recently moved, he is now a good 30-40 minutes closer to me and I'm in Bournemouth.

Give him a call, check his Airkraft website out for location/contact details!

Ps, having raced/talked to Ian Clark he certainly knows his stuff too.

Lee
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:49:48 am »

Hmm his website is propper messed up on my browser, dude you can PM his number ill drop him a call

Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: