The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:45:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Taylors '67
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Taylors '67  (Read 27413 times)
Taylor

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 04:53:52 am »

I also got an NOS Delco, Chevy Vega, cap for my Stinger distributor which is pretty sweet!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Plus my SCORE!!!! at Bug-In
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 06:54:23 am »

It's all lookin' good, Taylor. I especially dig your exhaust.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Taylor

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 08:36:36 am »

It's all lookin' good, Taylor. I especially dig your exhaust.
Thanks,  I like the mufflers too but I had it stored standing up, for two years, so it is drooping a bit.  They are rather quiet which I also like.  A little heat and some muscle and ill have them back in shape!
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 18:28:32 pm »

Looking awesome! Savannah beige 67's for the win!!!

I need to re-do my rear valance and wings. I Dzus fastened them on but I hate to say I rushed it because I wanted it on the road and theres a couple of gaps I don't like Sad

Your defiantly motivating me to re do it tho!!!

Aircooled Engineering. Birmingham, England

www.ace-vw.com

Check us out on FB, www.facebook.com/aircooledengineering

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'67 Chevelle PT106mm turbo
'66 Lincoln
Cornpanzer

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 14:42:55 pm »

Taylor - always gots cool cars!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Taylor

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 00:02:41 am »

Thanks Dave!  not as cool as your 911 though.  Did you get your dash pan on your '67 yet??? I love the way the EMPI ones look installed.

Ok, so, "Houston we have a problem!"  My motor is too narrow and I had to cut off about 1/2" from case side of my cylinder head tin, (NOS dual port ones too,)  so the problem is that the shroud wont fit without some modifications as well.  What do you think I should do to fix this problem?  Damn tiny pistons are screwing me but Im sure some of you will have a handy idea to get me going again.

Thank you for any ideas
Taylor
Wunder Wim

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:42 am »

First thing that comes to my mind is to cut some kind of key out of the fanhousing and weld the fanhousing again. Don't know if that is a option but it might solve your problem.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:41 pm »

Cut a curved claw shape up along the side so you get a smooth transition. Seems like a luxury problem Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 13:22:47 pm »

Can you flare the cyl head tin out to meet the shroud? Would you have room for the manifolds?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 14:13:08 pm »

i'd go with Jon's post. Should make for a nice, inconspicuous solution.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Taylor

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 02:54:23 am »

I decided to just build a shroud like I saw on one of the other posts, an OE doghouse with a 36horse face, that way I can pull in the sides at the same time.  Ill post some pictures soon.  Thanks for the Ideas
Taylor
Taylor

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 09:41:29 am »

WOW, over a year since any sort of activity??  Well not quite, but nothing to really get anyone excited.  Last summer was pretty hot here in Vegas and my motivation was literally sucked away by the weather.  I got rolling again when it cooled off but on Thanksgiving day my wife and I found out we would be having a baby.  It's our first and to say we are excited about it is an understatement.  Between then and now I have collected what seems like a million parts, but not everything I am looking for so the search continues.  

As far as the update is concerned I wasn't truly happy with the what I got to test on the last dyno session at Head's Up Performance in Fullerton Ca so I took it back this last weekend.  The last time I ran it I only ran 37's in the 48's and it made really good power at 213.6hp at 7000.  From 5000-6500 it made an average of 195hp and an average of 178ft lbs.

This time I brought along a few things I wanted to test, Including:
40mm vents
42mm vents
large diameter billet velocity stacks
and a set of Italian secondary's with no wings and a small modification (by me) to replace the Spanish "winged" secondary's.

I stopped by the local gas station and pumped a couple of gallons of 100 octane unleaded gas for the dyno on my way out of town.  I also got the same wt. and brand oil to run.  The weather was almost the same as last time so I was confident that the results I would get would be valid.

I made the first pull with the same set up as last time. Timing, vent size and jets.  What I got was a great baseline with the numbers being virtually the same as my last run the last time.  The second pull I changed the secondary's and replaced the stock IDA stacks with some tall, billet, large diameter ones. the result was about 1hp average higher. The third pull I put the stock stacks back on and I found another 2hp average and almost 4lbs of tq average for the range. Now the peak power at 6500 was 215.9hp it was getting better.

Now I decided it was time to pull the 37s out and replace them with some 40s.  After a few pulls to get the jetting sorted out I was happy with what I was seeing.  At 6500 it made 222.4 and from 5000-6500 it made an average of 184.6 ft lbs and 202 hp average.  Next we decided to pull it to 7000 and see if it would run up there now as last time it stopped pulling.  It ran great peaking at 225.8 hp averaging 215.5 from 5500-7000.

I threw the 42s in but wasn't  excited about the results as I'm sure the lower numbers suffered but it peaked at 227.6 hp at 6800 and carried it to 7100 but fell at 7200.
I am pretty sure the 42s would run better with more compression but with the current cam and compression the 40s definitely seem the best.  I'll have to update this a little for often from now on.

Here is a little clip some may have seen.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qBlBMeUhTQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8qBlBMeUhTQ</a>

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:02:04 am by Taylor » Logged
nicolas

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 17:20:09 pm »

i want to know a lot more about that engine and why the choice of parts. the more i look at it the more i like this.
Taylor

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 22:32:35 pm »

What do you want to know about it?
nicolas

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 19:00:17 pm »

What do you want to know about it?

well i don't think a 80mm crank is common, why that size, who makes that.

why honda wrist pins? does it have any advantage? is it just what is available at CE?

and what pulley is this? what does it do?

Grin

hope it helps narrowing it down a bit  Wink
Taylor

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 22:27:32 pm »

The 80 stroke started life as a forged 76mm vw journal crank that I had wedgemated.  It was cheaper to have it offset ground to chevy and re-hardened than it would be to buy an 82 and have it wedged.  80 was as far as the grinder could go when ground from 2.165" to 2".  The pistons are 1" compression height and the reason for the honda pins is they are .787" compared to vw's .866" plus they are only 2" long. By moving the pin up you get a more compact (lighter) piston with a pin that is shorter (lighter) but due to it's length it is also stronger.  The pulley is a Fisher harmonic dampener that helps dampen the sound waves that travel through the crankshaft. Although the exact frequency that is harmful is above my pay grade,  I don't think it hurts  Grin

I built the motor with racing in mind so I have another set of flat top pistons which raise the compression to around 15.5-1 but when I decided to put it in my street car the motor was almost finished.  The flat top pistons are the same overall dimensions as the dished set that are in there now and the machine work was already done so I figured it would be cheaper to have a dished set made that would drop right in, as opposed to buying new, longer cylinders and new head studs.  Also the heads only have 28cc's so the only way to lower the compression was to put a big swimming pool in the piston.

Hope this helps.
nicolas

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 19:21:37 pm »

a lot! thanks.

the more 'exotic' parts really did pay off in horsepower i guess, so my curiosity grew a bit after the dynopulls. have fun with it!

Jim Ratto

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 20:27:07 pm »

nice job all around Taylor. Miss talking to you. Hope to see you around soon. I know, I know I need to climb out from under my rock  Cheesy
Taylor

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:51 am »

Looong time since I updated this thread.  I have a moderately good excuse,  my wife and I had a baby back in July of 2013.  She's awesome and doesn't seem like a baby anymore.

I've been working on the car a little here and there but still haven't got it going.  I got my exhaust done and added the '67 reverse lights to the tbars.  I also had some center caps made and got all of the tin to fit my narrow motor. I had the narrow the breast plate 1/2".

I made these rubber mounted brackets for the exhaust.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:34:57 am by Taylor » Logged
Taylor

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:38 am »

I also had a hub made so I could install a 380 mm Porsche steering wheel, had a 911 tach modified with added VW style warning lights, had the gas gauge blacked out and made a panel for my gauges to take up the hole where a radio was cut in.

Taylor

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:55 am »

But lately along with getting the motor ready to put back together I've been rewiring the whole car using a modified wiring works harness and a ton of German style wire and open barrel brass connectors.  I'm adding a bunch of stuff so I made a separate fuse block.

That's it for now. I'll try and update more often now.
richie

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 09:53:31 am »

Some nice detail stuff there, be good to see it alive again soon, I see they are doing some VW quickest street car thing on Friday nights out their at the Track, go show them what a little motor can do Wink

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:18 am »

I love that exhaust setup!

Taylor

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 19:18:09 pm »

Thanks.  I like the way it came out too.  I like the duel quiet packs but I have a 2 1/4" outlet on my header so regular ones wouldn't work. The mufflers are 1 3/4 x 2 so they're adequate but to connect them I had to use a 2 into 1 collector turned around.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 19:19:49 pm by Taylor » Logged
Chris W

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 02:56:50 am »

Looks great, where did you get the mufflers?
Taylor

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2022, 23:37:29 pm »

I haven’t updated this thread for years. I’ll try and get back on and post some new stuff.  For now, a video David Ruiz shot of my car for fun one day. 
https://youtu.be/2mjndlfvqKY
Brew 66

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 04:25:03 am »

Your car is fantastic! Should have been in GNRS!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: