The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 10:52:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351066 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The key to the metal magic....My English Wheel....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The key to the metal magic....My English Wheel....  (Read 9446 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:59 am »

No one that fabricates should be without an English Wheel.  Here is one that I built for my projects.  Works miracles!  You can see how I built a pretty stout frame.  I welded the whole structure and allowed all the metal to cool before moving to installing the upper and lower wheel mounts.  It kept everything in alignment.  Was a lot of work but works great! I mounted a small flat area on one side of the frame for the 6 wheels I use. 

Tackling a major panel fabricating project without one of these would be difficult if you want to get all your curves right. The shrinker, stretcher and planishing hammer will get some use on this bay window project as well.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 14:50:06 pm »

Two more of my trusted fabricating tools make things go well when you fab your own stuff.  I've had my trusted VICTOR pattern torch for 25+ years.  I've had to rewire it a couple times in that period but it still works like a champ. Also, my portable Hossfeld bender, which I mounted on wheels so I can move it around the shop.  I converted the frames to a hydraulic system years ago with a ram from one of our old Bobcat skip loaders, a 4 way valve from heavy equipment and built my own reservoir and purchased a hydraulic vane pump to power it.  Still working like a charm after 25 years.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Brew 66

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:51:03 am »

Rick,
Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me. Most guys would never begin to figure out how to build one, much less understand how to use it.

Sure is nice in the garage now that things have cooled off (75 today here for the rest of you  Tongue ). My son is now 16 and tomorrow we will spend the day in the garage doing a few things to his first car. It is a Honda SUV, sorry guys  Undecided
rick m

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:32 am »

Thanks Bill.  I think it is nearing time for us to hook up.  I have a few things to finish on the chop, mount the rear fenders, synch the IDAs and get the car back on the road.  Stay in touch. We will have to hook up at one of the cruise nights they are doing on Bell road this fall.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:09:12 am »

Rick, how does the English wheel perform when on wheels? I imagine some energy might be lost with the frame not being 100% stable. Just curious as I was thinking about mounting my old cast iron Ranalagh on wheels to aid manouvreability. Trouble is it weighs about a 1000kg.
Great job on making your own! Hats off to you buddy  Cool

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
rick m

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 14:31:46 pm »

I have lift pads that were not on the original pictures.  You step on them and they raise the frame and set stationary on the rubber covered pads.  The wheels were just to get it moved around.  I will throw up some shots of what they look like when I get a chance>

RM

Rick Mortensen
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 18:32:38 pm »

Rick, how does the English wheel perform when on wheels? I imagine some energy might be lost with the frame not being 100% stable. Just curious as I was thinking about mounting my old cast iron Ranalagh on wheels to aid manouvreability. Trouble is it weighs about a 1000kg.
Great job on making your own! Hats off to you buddy  Cool
Where did you find your Ranalagh? There like the cadillac of wheeling machines !

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 18:51:08 pm »

You guys ever try one made from wood, Made mine from a old harp I found on craigslist

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 20:55:57 pm »

Looks just like my Ranalagh Danny... Nice wood effect   Cool

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
rick m

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 03:58:54 am »

Nice wood treatment. Did you do it Danny?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
rick m

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 22:06:39 pm »

Danny,

Love your red sign in the background of the English wheel.  I have to get me one of those!

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 22:49:58 pm »

Ya, I love signs! A good buddy saw it at the swap meet at hot august nights and figured it needed hanging in the shop. The talent of john rayburn did the wood graining. He is the artist not me! I just hammer and make noise!

rick m

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:16 am »

Wow!  Did not realize Rayburn did this type work.  Very impressive!

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:07:48 am »

Wow!  Did not realize Rayburn did this type work.  Very impressive!

Rick Mortensen

Don't tell him I said so but John is a very talented artist in many different genres and media  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
rick m

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 18:36:39 pm »

Hew Bill (BREWER),

Where is that location on Bell Road that people hold a cruise in at?  My chop is getting very close.  Just picked up some fuel inlets for my IDA's from Jack Sachette, so things are getting closer.  Took 4 tries to get my rear spring plates and ride height set where I wanted it.  Sheesh.... forgot how much time was involved in getting all this stuff set up.  

Hope to have it rolling soon.  Family issues (health) have slowed progress down a little but the wife is now Cancer free and has a great outlook.  Had to put 'First Things First" for awhile.  Celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary this coming week. Wow...how time flies. Attached is a shot of the first cal looker we drove in the mid 70's along with one of my early daily drivers. You can see the RicAnn license plate (barely).  The shot was take in a park in Fair Oaks, California. The picture with my mug in it is of my 63 ragtop "drive to work" car. It had original EMPI 5's on it and a stock 1600 for daily driving.

Can't believe how fast the years have passed.

Rick M
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 18:38:20 pm by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 19:00:52 pm »

Good news Rick! Come out to Speedworld tomorrow!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Brew 66

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:24 am »

Rick,
Happy anniversary, glad everyone is doing well.

Speedworld tomorrow should be fun. I need to grab a fuel pump or I would have driven our bug out there. The crappy Facet died last weekeend driving back from the show at Westgate next to University of Phoenix Stadium. So I finally will buy a rotary CB pump.

The cruise on bell is 67th Ave and Bell Rd (SW corner), Kmart lot. Cars ususually show up around 5:00pm and stay until about 8:00pm

I think mosto f the people that go graba bite at Mextace in the parking lot, although I think Caramba's across the street next to Fry's has some of hte best quick Mexican in the Southwest!

See you soon
Bill
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 04:15:00 am »

Had to put 'First Things First" for awhile.  

Not always easy to do. Glad there is some good news Rick. Take care.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 16:25:26 pm »

Rick, that's GREAT news!!!  And have a very Happy Anniversary too,    KG
rick m

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 00:00:39 am »

Check out the pix of my 66 chop that I posted on the Cal Look section of this forum.  Still have some refinements left but it is on the road!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 05:13:23 am »

Been lurking..... Grin   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: