The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  48 IDA...short or long manifold??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 48 IDA...short or long manifold??  (Read 23924 times)
Bruce

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 19:17:15 pm »

I ran 12s with a stock pump.
Makes you wonder about all those "experts" running ½" fuel lines and big hundred gph pumps.
neil68

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 19:23:35 pm »

while at it...mechanic fuel pump is working well enough for the IDA??or would you recommand electric pump with regulator?it is for a 1776 mild engine...

Same here, high 12's with IDA's and stock fuel lines and OEM mechanical pump.

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 04:24:37 am »

Same here, a" genuine german VW" pump, on my 84X90.5, engle w125, 42X37.5, 48s etc. had no issues. However, when I sold my car to Keith Sueme, I had just reassembled it using an as21 f.i. case, (no pump provision) just to run and drive it I used a facet and found it was not enough to keep up ,   F.Y.I.   Hope this info. helps.           
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 18:17:14 pm »

Same here, a" genuine german VW" pump, on my 84X90.5, engle w125, 42X37.5, 48s etc. had no issues. However, when I sold my car to Keith Sueme, I had just reassembled it using an as21 f.i. case, (no pump provision) just to run and drive it I used a facet and found it was not enough to keep up ,   F.Y.I.   Hope this info. helps.           
keith just for you  Grin Grin Grin Grin..... Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 21:40:00 pm »

Thanks, Fabs, do you know who took the pic? I dont, I do know its bug in 16, as I remember setting it on T.D.C.look closely .Trivia question: do you know what kind of pulley this is? I still have it,  also if you look closely at the linkage end castings, I took a night class on sand casting at Western H.S. in order to make them,  I still have a pair or two someplace, also made the rest of the linkage. The manifolds where some of the first skat traks, witch were less then an inch shorter than the later ones, as you can see in the pic. I did not have to trim #2 velocity stack, it did however just "touch" the deck lid due to road vibration etc. as you can see in the pic. so I eventually just "touched it" to the belt sander. Good memories, good times, thanks Fabs,       
Sarge

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 00:17:48 am »

Thanks, Fabs, do you know who took the pic? I dont, I do know its bug in 16, as I remember setting it on T.D.C.look closely .Trivia question: do you know what kind of pulley this is? I still have it,  also if you look closely at the linkage end castings, I took a night class on sand casting at Western H.S. in order to make them,  I still have a pair or two someplace, also made the rest of the linkage. The manifolds where some of the first skat traks, witch were less then an inch shorter than the later ones, as you can see in the pic. I did not have to trim #2 velocity stack, it did however just "touch" the deck lid due to road vibration etc. as you can see in the pic. so I eventually just "touched it" to the belt sander. Good memories, good times, thanks Fabs, 

Nice story, Keith! Cool

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 16:28:06 pm »

Thanks, Fabs, do you know who took the pic?  thanks Fabs,       
thx keith   Wink , and i don't have any idea about the guy who took the picture

Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Bruce

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 04:42:08 am »

I still have a pair or two someplace,
If you find them, you must post a pic!
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 15:46:32 pm »

Seemed like back in the day (late '60's early '70's), most guys ran short manifolds and they ran them with a Berg linkage no problem. 

Some people are still doing it nowadays. Smiley

DDS manifolds with 48IDA, with a BERG linkage. This reverses the carbs but with a bit of adjustment and messing around with carb arms, it all works fine. I also just like the way it looks. Smiley

I did try a DDS centre linkage with it, but it caught on the MSD dizzy.

Dude  Cool

Jim Ratto

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 16:47:37 pm »

The Russ Welch split runs short manifolds with 48 IDA on it's 2165. From what I know about the engine in the car, it's very similar to the engine in my car, same CC, same camshaft around same compression, heads are different, but probably work in same range. I've driven the car, helping Dave Galassi one day. Though in specification, the engines are similar, there is a night and day difference in how the spit runs vs my '67. The split window is harder edged and much cammier, and comes on later, but when it does, hold on tight. The rumbly, gargly intake growl instantly changes at X rpm to this sonic howl of resonance and you better be ready to shift.
Also, that car runs fuel banjos opposite of fan housing (carb levers open outwards and down) and runs an OLD Gene Berg fan mount linkage and it works very very well. I was impressed with how precisely and crisply the carbs opened.

If I could figure out how to run a Thing shroud with short IDA Weber manifolds, they'd be on my car.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 16:49:24 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Udo

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 07:50:25 am »

No , i think short and thing shroud can not work. They are too short to come out to the side  Smiley

Udo

Bruce

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 04:18:30 am »

If I could figure out how to run a Thing shroud with short IDA Weber manifolds, they'd be on my car.
Did it.
Scat short manifolds that orient the carbs with the fuel inlet to the outside, Bugpack centerpull linkage, stock VW Industrial DH shroud (same as Thing).
IIRC, I had to file a small notch in the seam of the shroud on the right side above #1 spark plug to clear the idle mix screw.
Tourist

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 07:19:33 am »

Did it.
Scat short manifolds that orient the carbs with the fuel inlet to the outside, Bugpack centerpull linkage, stock VW Industrial DH shroud (same as Thing).
IIRC, I had to file a small notch in the seam of the shroud on the right side above #1 spark plug to clear the idle mix screw.

Good morning Bruce Smiley

I don't suppose you have any pictures showing this set up do you? Curious to see how it all fits together.... Cool

Were they Scat DW-2's?

Martin.
Bruce

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:59 am »

Were they Scat DW-2's?
Indeed.

Pics can be arranged. My 48s are attached to the manifolds in a box.  The Dellortos on the engine have to come off, so bolting the 48s on is easy.
neil68

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2016, 19:43:27 pm »

Short manifolds with my 1975 FI shroud and Italian IDAs:

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Tourist

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2016, 20:33:15 pm »

Were they Scat DW-2's?
Indeed.

Pics can be arranged. My 48s are attached to the manifolds in a box.  The Dellortos on the engine have to come off, so bolting the 48s on is easy.

I've got a pair of Scat DW-2's with IDA's and a Deano centre pull linkage with a Puma low profile doghouse freshair shroud, to go on the next version of my engine, trying to picture it all together is making my head go funny.... Cheesy
70slooker

hello

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2018, 03:04:48 am »

Same here, a" genuine german VW" pump, on my 84X90.5, engle w125, 42X37.5, 48s etc. had no issues. However, when I sold my car to Keith Sueme, I had just reassembled it using an as21 f.i. case, (no pump provision) just to run and drive it I used a facet and found it was not enough to keep up ,   F.Y.I.   Hope this info. helps.          
keith just for you  Grin Grin Grin Grin..... Wink
fabs

What kind of plug wires would those be on the distributor side, or is it just a heat shrink over the wires? — sorry the picture didn’t follow the quote, it’s the photo of the goss chop’s engine from the big-in
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:06:40 am by 70slooker » Logged

Zündfolge Car Club
Dave Galassi

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 20:32:17 pm »

Those are original type 4.  Much like the type 3 factory plug wire ends, the type 4's screwed into the wire and stayed short to the distributor cap, not allowing the plug wires/ends to short out on the foil bottom of the engine lid. They were opaque, long and had a black sealing ring.   
70slooker

hello

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2018, 16:10:27 pm »

Those are original type 4.  Much like the type 3 factory plug wire ends, the type 4's screwed into the wire and stayed short to the distributor cap, not allowing the plug wires/ends to short out on the foil bottom of the engine lid. They were opaque, long and had a black sealing ring.   

Thanks Dave, seems like something easy to find haha

Zündfolge Car Club
glenn

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2018, 22:01:58 pm »

Here's my 2¢

I use NGK BPC6ES which have a 5/8 head vs the standard 13/16. Also cut the intake studs short, they just need to be longer than the nut.

I run tall manifolds because I had them...

I also cut, years ago, 1.5" holes in the fender well to access #1 and #3 spark plugs.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: