The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 16:40:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Upgrading drum brakes/braking system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Upgrading drum brakes/braking system  (Read 1738 times)
nightmair nick

« on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:50 am »

How can I upgrade my drum brakes 'wide five' systeme as i dont want to swap them with disc brakes and i will run a 1776 and really want to stick with og cal looker of the 70s?? master cylinder, wheel cylinders, machining the inner of the drums???
let me know your thoughts and tips

cal look fever...for ever
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:12:21 am »

How can I upgrade my drum brakes 'wide five' systeme as i dont want to swap them with disc brakes and i will run a 1776 and really want to stick with og cal looker of the 70s?? master cylinder, wheel cylinders, machining the inner of the drums???
let me know your thoughts and tips

Porsche A/B drums are the ultimate (almost as good as disc) but I have the feeling you'd swallow your tongue at the cost. But that's for you to decide. If you go that route all I can say is do your homework. Thin liners are the least of your worries (heaved liners and worn splines are more common than not). And don't buy anything you can't check in person unless you have reason to trust the seller.

Best thing you can do on stock drums is get good linings, have them arced to the drum ID, and bed them in properly. I recommend ABEX linings. It's tough to find someone local to arc shoes anymore but it's worth every penny. Turn a drum only if it's out of round or grooved heavily (you can scuff a glazed drum). Run 'em hard on bed-in but don't overheat 'em. Buy good fluid that has a high boiling point and change it annually. Strip the paint off your drums and dust 'em lightly with black barbecue paint to keep 'em from rusting too bad. 

A dual-circuit master cylinder is a good idea if you don't have one. You likely won't get any more than bragging rights and a little more life out of teflon lines.  People make a big deal out of Type III rear drums but rear brakes do only about 20 to 30 percent of the braking.

But in the end you will experience wonderfully scary fade if you try to bring down a drum-brake VW from speed. They weren't meant to quickly stop a car from 90mph. It takes more effort but Porsche drums will fade too.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:26:54 pm »

stainless covered brake lines...modern motorbikes use them for a reason.
ALB

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 13:08:05 pm »

On my '72 I used type 3 drums and shoes on the back and with the big/little tire combo (185/70 and 135) so common on Callookers it made a world of difference. I believe the 5 lug type 3 rears are bigger than type 1 as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong); and iIrc you need every thing from the backing plate out (backing plate, wheel cylinder, shoes of course, drum and axle cap). The snout of the drum may need to be cut down 5/8" to fit the axle nut. Hope this helps.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: