The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:05:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Okrasa Special
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Okrasa Special  (Read 189164 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »

It went from perfect to outstanding!! Shocked

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Wout

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »

Superb!!!!

Can I order one of these  Grin?

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 15:52:29 pm »

Everytime I check this thread the car is taken to another level. Love it!

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Dirk / DFL

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 17:03:01 pm »

WoW, what an amazing car!

I love the look, like an italian Porsche..... Shocked
Steve Wright

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2011, 09:29:53 am »

"I love the look, like an italian Porsche....." Cool. that was exactly what we were trying to achieve, with a hint of English special obviously.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2011, 09:35:00 am »

Cool. that was exactly what we were trying to achieve, with a hint of English special obviously.

Smiley yes, with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2011, 10:13:41 am »

The most British feature by far is the Issigonisian angle of the steering wheel  Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
gibber!

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:52 am »

Shocked

May...!?! So what's gone on in the last 5 months!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Steve Wright

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2011, 13:53:35 pm »

One of the only things we WILL be changing is the angle of the steering wheel as it feels like you're driving a truck with it as it is today!

So what's happened since May? I've cleaned up the gearbox and rear subframe as it had 40 years of workshop grime and oil on it. More importantly, we fitted adjusters to the front end as the ride height at the front in particular was going to be skyward. This proved to be a real headache as the front beam is welded to the spaceframe like the Porsche 356 is. It significantly increases stiffness in the front end but meant we had to cut and weld the beam in-situ. Interestingly we found that David Small had already softened the spring rate in anticipation of a car that was significantly lighter than a stock Beetle by cutting the leaves in the beam, but he had cut each side rather than remove leaves wholesale. This will effectively allow us to corner weight the car as we can adjust the top adjuster for the left side and the lower for the right. We also decided to replace the rear Armstrong shocks as the springs were covered in surface rust and only have one type of adjustability. We'll go with some period Koni's that allow for adjusting spring rate, height, and bump/rebound.

As a bit of a footnote on other mechanicals, it's worth highlighting they are a bit of an eclectic mixture. The gearbox is a split case T1 version with synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, while the brakes and clutch are hydraulic and actuated by Ford105E master cylinders. The car originally had VW drum brakes but I’ve always believed in over-braking a car that is going to be driven hard, so newly rebuilt 1961 356B drums have been fitted all round, along with Feb 1961 date stamped Porsche rims which fit precisely with the May 1961 build of the chassis.
Steve Wright

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 13:57:36 pm »

Steve Wright

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2011, 21:48:02 pm »

okay, put the kettle on and your feet up on the desk, here comes the next installation. So we mucked about with paper for a VEEEERY long time trying to get the perfect shape, and Barry finally gave up and mocked it up in ally. He hates me putting these shots online as they were only rough to give us the overall body shape, but I can't resist showing where the car is going. Enjoy.

Steve Wright

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2011, 21:51:39 pm »

You can see how much lower the Okrasa Special is than the 911 in the background, and how much shorter. It's worth pointing out that the rear subframe hanging out the bottom of the Kamm tail will be chopped off to leave just the gearbox and it's mounts.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2011, 09:29:24 am »

Great shape to it over the rear wheel....

folkevogn

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »

First I have to say, what a fantastic project, I admire the amazing craftmanship you guys are showing us. One of my favorite treads at the moment.

I love the front end and the curves on the rear fender, but on the picture where you can see the car in profile next to the porsche my first impression was that the rear end looked shorter compared to the mock up pictures witch is probably isen't. I'm not sure if its the angle from where the picture was taken, but from a design point of view(IMHO) it feels like the "balance" between the front an rear end is a little bit "off". My eyes wants the rear end to be longer so the beautiful curves over the rear wheels can "stretch out" and not be cut off to early. Just a thought and as I said, just my humble opinion.

Regards
Folke Vogn

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Flow

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2011, 13:18:31 pm »

This is my point of view too flokevogn  Wink

But what a fantastic project !!  Cool

Steve Wright

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 10:28:31 am »

Folke Vogn, we thought the same thing, but the moment you lengthen the rear it looks way too heavy. I think it's just the angle the shot is taken at, which is actually not at right-angles to the car. Cheers, Steve
folkevogn

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:02 am »

I get your point, maybe a mild roofchop can counterweight the visual effect? Cool

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Steve Wright

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2011, 18:35:05 pm »

I suggested to Barry that we remake the roof in ally with a Zagato double-bubble but he said no-way! plus the roof was put on by the original owner so it doesn't feel right to be changing it... Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2011, 01:25:23 am »

I suggested to Barry that we remake the roof in ally with a Zagato double-bubble but he said no-way! plus the roof was put on by the original owner so it doesn't feel right to be changing it... Smiley

That is a BRILLIANT idea!! I think the original builder would approve!! Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2011, 13:59:06 pm »

Zagato double-bubble  Cool Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
kafercup

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2011, 07:38:50 am »

Amazing build, this is my new favorite thread!   Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2011, 22:18:22 pm »

Any updates  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Steve Wright

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2011, 14:57:44 pm »

Sorry, been distracted by the purchase of my new race car: '58 A with lots of genuine Carrera GT bits.

So, on with the story! Here's the build up and eventual binning of the one side because Barry wasn't happy with the quality of the work.

Shows the extent of the work that goes into forming a curved panel from a flat piece of ally!

patterning up the wing

coming along nicely...

trying to get the front wing/fender to line up...

And failing, all in the bin while we try to adjust the wireform buck so things flow along the car better!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:34 am »

Sorry, been distracted by the purchase of my new race car: '58 A with lots of genuine Carrera GT bits.

So, on with the story! Here's the build up and eventual binning of the one side because Barry wasn't happy with the quality of the work.

Shows the extent of the work that goes into forming a curved panel from a flat piece of ally!

patterning up the wing

coming along nicely...

trying to get the front wing/fender to line up...

And failing, all in the bin while we try to adjust the wireform buck so things flow along the car better!

Now thats just not fair!  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jesus

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2011, 11:26:51 am »

Hey Steve

Your new toy looks amasing, You'll have to let me know when your running it, would love to come crew / watch.

The special is trully special!!! Hope your well fella.

Cheers

Alex

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2011, 14:41:44 pm »

Beautiful work  Shocked Cool

Steve Wright

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 13:50:46 pm »

hey alex, hope you're well and the bus is running strong. any help with the race car would genuinely be appreciated. I'll let you know when we're racing. cheers steve
Steve Wright

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 14:22:50 pm »

okay, it's been a while....

Firstly, decided to sort the Westy as the tow bus for the 356 race car and Okrasa Special, so Neil at Prosign worked his magic. Just a set of 42 DCNF's and CSP exhaust to fit to make it a better tow vehicle.

On the Okrasa Special Barry has been busy finishing the right hand side so we can finalise on the finished product before he swaps to the other side and replicates it.

Front wing looking good, with 250LM type fog light treatment.

Finalising the treatment of the air inlet, which has proven to be the trickiest part of the design of the side.

And then there's the crappy old magnesium rims I managed to pick up at the local swap meet which I'm planning to add to the car as part of it's development, once the car is finished...

Cheers, Steve
Matty c

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 15:18:31 pm »

Simply stunning, this just gets better & better!

Matt

67heaven
Wout

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 13:04:16 pm »

Looking forward for updates  Wink?

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: