The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:25:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP Bug-In Displays
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DKP Bug-In Displays  (Read 18832 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 19:23:15 pm »

Wink

That would be mine.  Wonder what it would bring on the open market?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 19:30:52 pm »

Great Stuff John... thanks for sharing!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 19:34:10 pm »

Wink

That would be mine.  Wonder what it would bring on the open market?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It would take considerable more of $$$$ to pry it from my hands.    Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 00:06:03 am »

Love this picture, John. Mini-bikes were a staple if you grew up in the seventies. We lived on those things. Check out Art! Super cool cat and I see him at Cars & Coffee a lot with his clean wagon. Can't wait to see his pre-A Porsche when it's on the road, too.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 00:17:58 am »

Fantastic trip down memory lane John !
Thank you for sharing !
 Smiley
Russell

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 01:53:18 am »

John, once again thanks for sharing, sure glad you have these moments captured as I'm sure it must be terrific just thinking back as you develop these photos, a wonderful gesture to share on the lounge, thank you

Best Regards

Russell
johnl

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 02:30:39 am »

John, once again thanks for sharing, sure glad you have these moments captured as I'm sure it must be terrific just thinking back as you develop these photos, a wonderful gesture to share on the lounge, thank you

Russell, Richard and Fred/Rick,  I should be the one thanking you for keeping the VW idea alive.  I'm very pleased that you all are enjoying this stuff and I do promise I have more to share.  If we don't have our "history" to work from then there isn't much of a "future".  You three along with countless others are the present and the future in the VW hobby.

Unfortunately the car hobby no matter what mark one is into tends to suffer today as the youth doesn't have interest and you can only put so many cars in museums.  Cars are a history for the world to appreciate and I'm not so certain that years from now there will be much interests.  We all need to keep fighting the good fight to keep our hobby and all of the dreams that come with it alive.

I'll be parked at Cars & Coffee at 05:30 tomorrow.  Don't pull the covers over your head and go back to sleep.  Get up, get out and do something car related.  You will find it most rewarding.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 02:53:49 am »

If we don't have our "history" to work from then there isn't much of a "future".  You three along with countless others are the present and the future in the VW hobby.

Unfortunately the car hobby no matter what mark one is into tends to suffer today as the youth doesn't have interest and you can only put so many cars in museums.  Cars are a history for the world to appreciate and I'm not so certain that years from now there will be much interests.  We all need to keep fighting the good fight to keep our hobby and all of the dreams that come with it alive.

I'll be parked at Cars & Coffee at 05:30 tomorrow.  Don't pull the covers over your head and go back to sleep.  Get up, get out and do something car related.  You will find it most rewarding.

Good call on all of that, John. I've often wondered how the future of old cars will fare once we're gone. I don't see the youth of today with the same passion for quality cars as we've had. Hopefully, I'm wrong on that and it will be well preserved for upcoming generations to enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:12:31 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
volksnut

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 04:02:54 am »

Great stuff John
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 04:32:43 am »

Hey John , is the body and paint shop in the background of the pic of Butternut on Chestnut st. where you first met Stan Betz ?   I was wondering as per our previous conversation and" talk" down memory lane about our young similar lives in Downtown Anaheim .      Grin Grin Grin      KG
johnl

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 04:51:05 am »

Hey John , is the body and paint shop in the background of the pic of Butternut on Chestnut st. where you first met Stan Betz ?   I was wondering as per our previous conversation and" talk" down memory lane about our young similar lives in Downtown Anaheim .      Grin Grin Grin      KG

Keith,  the answer would be yes.  Betz's shop was just a door or two west of where Butternut is parked at the corner.  This would be on the south side of the street.  As a kid I'd ride my bike (Schwinn Black Phantom) down to the front of the Pickwick Hotel where Tiny's Hobby Shop was.  In making the trip I'd travel east on Chestnut St. directly by Stan Betz's Speed and Color. 

Stan would be out there with his white bib overalls on and the peg leg sticking out in the street as he sat on the curb mixing paint.  He was a young man then and now would have to be in his late 80's I'd think.  I'll bet the paint still covered the curb until the day the bull dozers arrived to destroy the place.

To update the story a bit two years ago this past August I purchased a restored 1952 Schwinn Black Phantom and after picking it up in La Mirada I made it about one block before a Ford F350 van made an abrupt left turn in front of me.  I hit him head on and totaled my Mercury Mountaineer, knocked myself out and did about $700 damage to the bike.

I went through almost 50K in medical treatments and still have continuous discomfort in my back, neck and shoulders.  The bottom line I wanted the bike to recapture some of my youth and I did achieve that, but don't ride it much as I'm not that able to do it comfortably.

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 06:04:50 am »

Russell, Richard and Fred/Rick,  I should be the one thanking you for keeping the VW idea alive.  I'm very pleased that you all are enjoying this stuff and I do promise I have more to share.  If we don't have our "history" to work from then there isn't much of a "future".  You three along with countless others are the present and the future in the VW hobby.

Unfortunately the car hobby no matter what mark one is into tends to suffer today as the youth doesn't have interest and you can only put so many cars in museums.  Cars are a history for the world to appreciate and I'm not so certain that years from now there will be much interests.  We all need to keep fighting the good fight to keep our hobby and all of the dreams that come with it alive.

I'll be parked at Cars & Coffee at 05:30 tomorrow.  Don't pull the covers over your head and go back to sleep.  Get up, get out and do something car related.  You will find it most rewarding.

Thank you John.

The original DKP guys set the path and after you had your turn, DKK followed the path you set. We made Cal-Look ours and put our generations spin on it while keeping it faithful to the original ideas. Zach once said "Cal-Look is walking softly and carrying a big F-ing stick" I would add that besides the "Big F-ing stick" we also have a Big F-U to convention. In my era, the V-8 guys were the Rock and Rollers and the Cal-Look guys were the Punks. We  saw things differently and did things differently and if you didn't like it "FOAD." (Fuck off and Die!)

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 06:08:12 am »

Wow, thanks for remembering that, Rick. Made me smile, I needed that Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 12:10:05 pm »

Fantastic trip down memory lane John !
Thank you for sharing !
 Smiley
x2 ,I love it.(let the pics come)
 Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 16:48:11 pm »

Great John! Thanks once again  Cool

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 14:16:00 pm »

Wow, thanks for remembering that, Rick. Made me smile, I needed that Smiley

That's one of my favorite quotes too. 

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
johnl

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 17:44:01 pm »

Here is a photo of Doug Gordon's Underdog on the trailer at OCIR.  This would have been the second body before painting.  Note the front and rear fenders are cut short.  The original orange tail lights are attached along with real BRM wheels

The tow vehicle I think is Doug's first bus.  Later there was a 1972 with a 411 motor.  Many stories about riding with the "MASS" in both of those vehicles.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 17:48:11 pm »

Here is a photo of Doug Gordon's Underdog on the trailer at OCIR.  This would have been the second body before painting.  Note the front and rear fenders are cut short.  The original orange tail lights are attached along with real BRM wheels

The tow vehicle I think is Doug's first bus.  Later there was a 1972 with a 411 motor.  Many stories about riding with the "MASS" in both of those vehicles.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: