The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:13:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP Bug-In Displays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DKP Bug-In Displays  (Read 18619 times)
johnl

« on: October 28, 2011, 17:10:21 pm »

These are shots I've discovered in my slide conversions project.  As you will see there are DKP Club Displays and some other selected shots taken at the time.  I'll try to identify people as I can, but would appreciate assistance from others who were there at the time.

First shot is Mike Bonnea (aka Banna) with Rick Meisner's bus in the background.
Second is DKP trophies with many club jackets.  Note the Underdog door to the left.
Next, club members car photos on the large display board.
Last, Ron Bremlow's bus, more photos of club cars, the Underdog door and trophies.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 17:15:27 pm »

Display board showing DKP cars at Carlsbad Raceway.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 17:22:42 pm »

The red bus I think belonged to Trip Walk and I think that is him to the far left.  DKP Top Ten Board in front of what I believe to be Ron Fleming's black oval.  The person at the far right standing sideways is Whit Haydon.

johnl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 17:25:31 pm »

Unknown club member riding the "custom" bike in the parking lot.  Note the grand stands in the background.

johnl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 17:28:55 pm »

To the left Top Ten Board, Whit Haydon standing at left, Christie Lazenby at right with Jim Edmiston behind her looking down.  Possibly the guy Jim is talking to is Banana.  Others unknown.

johnl

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 17:31:51 pm »

Club's trophies and cars in background.  Far left with the copper colored front wheel is Whit Haydon's.

Sarge

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 17:34:22 pm »

Great pics, John!!  Gotta love that pic of Bananna.  I remember well the burnout he laid down out in front of the church when Sharon and I were married and hearing an old lady say to her husband "I don't EVER recall seeing a VW do THAT!!" Shocked  I think that red bus belonged to Bob Stepp.  Seems like Trip had passed away while I was in the Army.  Looks like Meisner on the bike.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 17:37:17 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 17:34:52 pm »

Here is one for the books.  Ron and Lisa Fleming.  Ron is leaning against my car (pre Butternut) and Lisa is smiling, something you almost never saw.

johnl

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 17:40:25 pm »

The DKP Top Ten Board
1.  Mike Mahaffey
2.  Don Crane
3.  Greg Aronson
4.  Ron Fleming
5.  Stan Davis
6.  John Lazenby
7.  Jim Edmiston
8.  Tom Hoy
9.  Mike Johnston
10. Mike Boniea (Banana)

johnl

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 17:44:02 pm »

Lunch time.  Christie Lazenby on left, Craig (Champie) Foster, center, and unknown girl on right.  Possibly one of the Sisters Ugly, but we'd have to verify that with Jim Brooks.     Shocked Shocked Shocked

Catbox

Slave to internal combustion.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 17:45:55 pm »

Cool pictures from the past!

Thanks for sharing them with us who weren't there.

Grin
johnl

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 17:54:50 pm »

Greg Aronson's original Cal-look car, Mark Thurber on mini bike, Art Alvarez looking on.  Jim Brooks and Rick Winter to far right.

johnl

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 17:58:48 pm »

Something happened with the last one, so you all got three copies....  Grin Grin Grin

This car may belong to Steve (Mr. Music) Leikus.  Okay, all together now, flip your hair.  Sorry, inside joke and you would have had to have been there.   Wink Wink Wink Wink

johnl

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 18:05:27 pm »

This is a build shot of the displays and is the alley (Bus Depot) behind the Pickwick Hotel where our club house was located.  Left to right, Bill (I want to punch you out Doug Haydon) McMillan, Art Alvarez, Kip (Da Kipper) Ralston and last but certainly not least the one and only Jim (Baby Maker) Brooks.

While this was being done there was another shot which included about five or six of the guys doing a "B-A".  I put this slide in a safe place years ago, infact it was so safe I can't find it.  What I do remember is that Stan Davis was in it and he was easy to spot as his pants were on the ground.....   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Should I come across it I'll be happy to share...   Wink Wink Wink Wink

johnl

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 18:08:55 pm »

Another shot of DKP Club's display with a 48 IDA Weber motor as the center piece.  Club members cars on the walls and many trophies.

johnl

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 18:15:38 pm »

Craig (Champie) Foster's Square (Panel) with Mike Lar-Lar Larsen with the beard behind the center pole.  At the rear of the car in striped shirt is Steve (Mr. Music) Leikus.  Far right is Art Alvarez and myself trying to hang something up.  Once again note the burgundy cord pants many of us wore.

johnl

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 18:19:16 pm »

Here is a shot of the DKP Club House on Chestnut St. in the Pickwick Hotel.  Looks like we are bringing out the trophies to transport to the Bug-In.  That is me straight on and Steve Liekus to my right.  The Butternut car is on the street to the far right.

Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 18:22:51 pm »

John

Looking at these pictures they look to be at OCIR I recognize the tower in the back ground and the bleachers including the pit area and where the car show use to be held. Great shots

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
johnl

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 18:30:11 pm »

Another shot of the Butternut car on Chestnut St. next to the alley (Bus Depot).  I'm thinking this was when we were building the displays.  This is what downtown Anaheim looked like before they tore it down and rebuilt it.  I really miss those times and occasionally drive in the area and reminisce.

johnl

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 18:40:13 pm »

Here is yet another shot of the build taken looking east on Chestnut St.  That is Los Angeles St., now Anaheim Blvd. straight ahead.  People, left to right, Bill McMillan, Stan Davis, Unknown, but might be Mark Thurber, Arnie Mohlman, Mike Lar-Lar Larsen and Greg Aronson doing the actual work.  Reminds me of a typical shot of County or Federal works.  One guy doing something and the rest overseeing.

Sarge

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 18:47:31 pm »

Man, what a show!!! Cool Cool Cool  I don't think that's Greg doing the sawing... looks more like Mike Bennett maybe.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 18:50:08 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 18:49:21 pm »

I'll close with this shot for the moment.  A bit of history here, the original Aronson Cal-look car on the left, Craig Foster's Panel center and my Butternut on the right.

Those were GREAT times and for us that were lucky enough to live them and get to see these I hope you enjoy the memories.  For those that were not yet born or not involved at the time I hope it gives you an idea of what we were about.  Looking back on those times and seeing that DKP is still a force in the VW world makes me happy and very proud that I was a small part of it along with other great friends.

Last I'd like to thank my wife Christe for having the smarts to shoot most of these years ago, so that they may be shared with you all.

Don't fret as I have much more in photos to share, but need to take a break.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 18:50:20 pm »

thx again for sharing the photo/story of one greatest club
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 18:56:41 pm »

To the left Top Ten Board, Whit Haydon standing at left, Christie Lazenby at right with Jim Edmiston behind her looking down.  Possibly the guy Jim is talking to is Banana.  Others unknown.

Sharon's in the gold coat.  Probably Kathy Haydon (back to camera).

Thanks for sharing your pics, John... made my day! Grin

DKP III
jonathan

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 18:58:40 pm »

Thanks for sharing John,can't wait for the next instalment.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 19:04:23 pm »

I'll close with this shot for the moment.  A bit of history here, the original Aronson Cal-look car on the left, Craig Foster's Panel center and my Butternut on the right.

bug in 8
 here's anoher shot took the same day  , this one was in hot vws  Wink
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

johnl

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 19:07:08 pm »

Sharon's in the gold coat.  Probably Kathy Haydon (back to camera).

Thanks for sharing your pics, John... made my day! Grin

Jim,  thanks for the update.  I thought for sure that was Christie.  When she and I looked at this stuff while converting it we were sure it was her, but now I can see it was Sharon.  Your right, that could be Cathy Haydon with her back to us.

Glad your enjoying these, but as I promised I have more GOOD stuff to post in the future.  Geeze, what will I do with my life after I've sent the last photo out??

For any of you that wish to comment or supply names I'd appreciate if you could include the photo you are referencing to make it easier for all to understand.

johnl

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 19:11:41 pm »

bug in 8
 here's anoher shot took the same day  , this one was in hot vws  Wink
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

In the black & white shot you will see four DKP flags.  I have one at home and am not aware any of the others exist.  Ours was flown at the DKP 45th Reunion held at Schley's home last year.  I'll try and dig a photo of me and it up.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 19:14:58 pm »

Wink

johnl

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 19:21:39 pm »

Wink

That would be mine.  Wonder what it would bring on the open market?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: