The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 14:48:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  180mm clutch disc
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 180mm clutch disc  (Read 4567 times)
Svang1

« on: November 01, 2011, 22:06:24 pm »

Any suggestions of a 180mm clutch-disc for a 1599 mouse engine with stage1 kennedy pressure plate?
Today it's got a 4-pucked disc, not so good for the gearbox or flywheel over time..

The engine is dynoed to about 154hp and 170Nm, and the gearbox is a newly built kcr (all weddle, no syncro-rings).
The flywheel is cnc machined, so there isn't much left of it.. So I guess much heat would not be the best for the flywheel..
I am going to mainly use the car for some street and circuit-racing..

Already bought a custom 180mm black magic disc from Ron L, but I've heard that the disc produces a lot of heat, not far from the 4 pucked disc..

Haven't found any 180mm discs like Daikin super-disc, wouldn't something like that disc work ok.. ?
Is it ok to machine a 200 daikin disc to 180mm, like Ron did with the black magic disc??

Thanks
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:14:16 pm »

I would contact CB Performance and ask them to make/order a 180 mm. 4 puck Ezy-lock. Better than the Black magic because it hooks up about as fast but is much lighter, so it doesnt stress the syncroŽs so bad.

T
Svang1

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 17:32:35 pm »

Cant find Ezy-lock, just kwik-lock and pad-lock at CB's website.

Is the Eazy lock just special order only?

The gearbox is bulit with Weddle "racing-gears", so the syncros isn't an issue..

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 19:05:20 pm »

It is special order.
T
Svang1

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 19:55:57 pm »

Ok then, I'll order one..

Thanks Torben..
Type1/DVK

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 22:05:27 pm »

haha, that's quick! so convinced after those words..  Grin

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Peter Shattock

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 23:02:39 pm »

I had more experience than I would have liked in 2010 with 180mm clutch disc's. In terms of the regular organic disc's I found the Semi auto box 180 disc's to be the most durable.

I also decided to make a 180mm black magic disc disc as an option but did not use it as it was not compatible with my aluminum pressure plate. I ended up with a 12 pad disk (6 pads each side) with Kevlar pads on the pressure plate side and ceramic pads on the flywheel side, which I suspect is similar to that which Torben is describing.

To be honest unless your car is very heavy I would be tempted to try the auto stick 180mm disc, as mine was close to being OK with 231nm of torque. The car weighs about 1500lbs.

I would say less is more in this respect, although I did get it wrong and had more frequent service intervals than was ideal in a street car, but I suspect it may work for you.

Its worth shimming the pressure plate too, to check where the sweet spot is in terms of the pressure available.

Good luck!

Peter

The fastest beetle in the village
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 23:58:02 pm »

Peter, very interesting info.
I didŽnt realize that the semi auto disc had more grip than the stick shift ones.
The reason I recommened the Ezy lock is that it is somewhat "softer" compared to a regular 4 puck race unit, and also holds about 10% less torque. But with the power he has, it should hold up more than enough.

T
Svang1

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 21:06:22 pm »

Hi Peter!
Well, CB haven't answered my request yet..
So where can I check out and maybe buying the Semi auto box, 12 pad disc or the auto stick?

In terms of how heavy the car is, it is stock weight..

Peter Shattock

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 23:04:04 pm »

I got the auto stick one from a friend who just happened to have one, and the Kevlar / ceramic disc was from Kennedy. They were very helpful and sent it to me in kit form as I needed to make it up a little thicker than normal to allow me to shim the pressure plate.

Good luck I hope you find a solution that works.

Peter

The fastest beetle in the village
dangerous

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:29 am »

Bergs sell a 3-puck version, and Scat a 4-puck in 180mm.
I had my local clutch guy make my 3-puck disc and am very happy with it:
Car is around 1800lbs and runs high tens@122

Synchros:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4eA_RdbNWM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/q4eA_RdbNWM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgpusDRYNhY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HgpusDRYNhY</a>
Svang1

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 22:10:52 pm »

Thanks for all replies!

I have now ordered two discs from CB..
And will order a Kep ceramic disc..

Dangerous: I already have a 4 pucked sinter disc..
I'm afraid of ruining the flywheel and gearbox, with hotspots and hard strain to the gearbox (the car is also for street use)..
But the 4 pucked disc gets the car going, no question about that.. Smiley
-Alex-

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 20:17:35 pm »

How about custom copperhead disc?  200mm is normal order, 228mm is custom, maybe they can make 180mm too?

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFC0001&cartid=1115201141811602

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: