The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 15:08:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  THE KUGEL CONNECTION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: THE KUGEL CONNECTION  (Read 15829 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 17:11:57 pm »

...clearly states that Ex worked on the design.

I know from my own work that I've unearthed info that put history on its ear so I'm open to the idea. It does strike me a bit odd that Stude would've credited Ex's mortal enemy for the design but Stude was known to do odd things like blow out designers who took their ideas to Ford for the shoebox.

Bourke did get credit for the design, but if you know the history of Studebaker and Raymond Loewy you should be aware that Loewy always surrounded himself with talent and took name credit on the finished product.

Yeah, that's how I knew the car as a Bourke design.

Here is the drawing done by Exner in 1948.  My opinion is this is even better than the final product and was really "swoopy" for the time.  Exner was the American design genius that is just now starting to be appreciate by the world.

The second scan is the 1953 D'Elegance car done by Ghia for Exner and based off of his drawings.  This was to later become the VW Karman Ghia.

Looking at Exner's later work with Chrysler I think it is clearly visible that the Stude design was strongly his.

I'll grant you that. The first of the letter cars look like blown-up Studes--particularly through the grilles. Then again, those designers were stealing from each other all the time. Chop, shorten, and hardtop a Kaiser coupe and it looks uncannily like a Karmann Ghia along the flanks. I've seen such a thing.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
HRC Tom

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 23:58:02 pm »

So sorry, I know that this is an ancient post, but this is a cool piece of history !  Are there any pics of Rich's VW ?

johnl

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 01:13:20 am »

So sorry, I know that this is an ancient post, but this is a cool piece of history !  Are there any pics of Rich's VW ?

Somewhere I do have a couple of photos of Rich and the Gold '58 VW.  Don't know if I posted this before but when I first saw Rich driving through Taco Villa he had somehow rotted out the guts of his muffler on the Jardine Headers and pulled the manual choke some to make it sound real lumpy.  To a 16 year old kid with a VW at the time it could not have been more cool. 

So here we are 50 years later and I'm still talking about it and have a BIG SMILE on my face.   Wink

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
beatnik beetle

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:41 am »

Whoah...So cool that this post has risen..Jerilyn stayed at our house a month or two ago...she came over with my ol mate and fellow Executioner - Kev Elliott of Rod & Custom Magazine...she  has been posting photo's on FB of the familys Bonneville exploits and these photo's are great

Thanks

Simon

oh and it would be great to see the photo of her with her licence...
johnl

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 16:47:06 pm »

Whoah...So cool that this post has risen..Jerilyn stayed at our house a month or two ago...she came over with my ol mate and fellow Executioner - Kev Elliott of Rod & Custom Magazine...she  has been posting photo's on FB of the familys Bonneville exploits and these photo's are great

Thanks

Simon

oh and it would be great to see the photo of her with her licence...

Simon, it would really be neat if you could obtain some current photos of the Kugel clan and post them here.....

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: