The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:49:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Another side view of the 66 chop with the new Alloys installed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Another side view of the 66 chop with the new Alloys installed  (Read 3317 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: November 07, 2011, 17:35:22 pm »

I have always been a big fan of the stance that a car has and how it makes a statement.  I also love the BIG and LITTLES look (from the hot rod scene) with small tires in the front and a larger rear wheel combo.  Really spent some time on wheel size, offset and how I wanted the look to end up.  Eric Vaughn, of Monrovia, California, took my factory late model alloys (6x15) and narrowed them to 4.5 for the front.  I wanted the same style wheel on the front as I was using in the rear.  He did such an awesome job on welding them that one alloy only needed a small weight (when balancing the front tires) and the other rim needed no weight at all.  Talk about precision.  Heck, you can't buy factory wheels and tires today that balance out that close.

This is a side shot of how my 66 sits with the new wheel and tire combo. I love that drag race rake look. Looking forward to a lot of road trips once I get the rear deck lid and apron painted within the next month.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:56:27 am »

Eric Vaughn, of Monrovia, California, took my factory late model alloys (6x15) and narrowed them to 4.5 for the front...Heck, you can't buy factory wheels and tires today that balance out that close.

Eric's a bitchin' guy. We have a car with a pair of wheels he made--16" early Ford centers turned down to fit in 4" rims from Volkswagen smoothies. They're arrow-straight, too. Next time you see him ask him if he'll work on some magnesium wheels or powder coat something for you.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
rick m

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 15:41:50 pm »

I've spoken with Eric about several different wheel projects.  I am pretty sure he will work on anything if you ask.

RM

Rick Mortensen
rick m

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 14:27:55 pm »

Let's see if this side picture turns out a little larger.  I am playing with picture sizing right now.  Had a few requests to make my pictures larger. I was out working on the chop last night and clicked off a couple shots to see if I sized them larger properly.

One shot shows the rear deck lid, brizio aluminum bumpers and the BERG dual mufflers.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 15:07:12 pm »

That thing is gonna be an AWESOME sight, Rick!
Sweet lines and the black trim really sets it off.

DIG IT! Wink

TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 17:19:56 pm »

Pics look great Rick... Even my 50 y.o. Eyes can see them  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
rick m

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 22:34:24 pm »

Hey thanks guys.  Not bad for a guy moving into his 60's.  Us old school guys have to keep up the image of the early days...right!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Brew 66

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 04:27:38 am »

Hey, I got a "Keep on Buggin" Plate frame on our car!
rick m

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:51:10 am »

Yeah...picked mine up at one of the Bug-INs I attended before it closed down in October of 2003.  Hey Bill, when is the next time you will be going to the Bell Road gathering? This weekend looks like rain.  Think you might go a week from this weekend?  If interested,  I will see if Don Bulitta and a few others would be interested too.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 07:06:31 am »

I'm diggin' it. The extruded bumpers aren't Brizio. They're actually Briz, AKA Mark Brislawn. Sorta like '37 Desoto but for a fraction of the bux.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
rick m

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:06:52 am »

Thanks for the clarification on the bumpers HotRodSurplus.  When I got the care they were on it and the owner told me they were Brizio's.  Guess they were close but just got it mixed up.  Still, I kinda like um. They are different.  They were polished but I prefer the powdercoated look for the theme I was trying to achieve.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: