The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:24:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  phil wests old sepia bug?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: phil wests old sepia bug?  (Read 17264 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 13:34:30 pm »

I remember this car from Volksworld, a top car in it's time. I noticed that you cut out the louver panel directly over the engine Phil, I'm half way through that myself on my looker. Why did you do that?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Phil West

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 14:35:07 pm »

I remember this car from Volksworld, a top car in it's time. I noticed that you cut out the louver panel directly over the engine Phil, I'm half way through that myself on my looker. Why did you do that?

The main bodywork resto was by the Paintbox - from memory it was really rusty and horrible inside so cutting it out was our only option.  The panel itself was then resto'd and replaced.  So it wasn't a performance modification.  Shane did that one - it took ages - shed loads of work for which I owe him a debt of gratitude!  So - good luck with the job!
RobtheManx

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 15:37:40 pm »

Always loved this car , I had the Volksworld feature stuck on my bedroom wall when I was 16 or so , before I even knew what Cal-Look was about . Never realised it was Phil's car , don't think I bothered reading the articles back then .

Cheers , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
beatnik beetle

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 18:41:08 pm »

I'm a bit shocked by this post...nice to see it back but, some of the comments - jeez....Lee - your a  really nice bloke but, why comment?....when we painted it back in 96/97 so nearly 17 years ago - as far as we know no one had painted a car that colour..blimey mate even I was young back then (ish)... Grin...It was a car of it's time but, I personally don't think it would look out of place now..yep my opinion but, I don't make comments on peoples cars unless they are positive ( although lately with some of  the current trends of the vw scene I have had to bite my tongue Wink...anyway Natural High is  way cooler.....so maybe Phil should post some photo's of that and his Bus..anyone back me up  on this call...oh and Lee - your still alright in my book... Grin
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 18:49:46 pm »

when we painted it back in 96/97 so nearly 17 years ago - as far as we know no one had painted a car that colour..

Are you talking on your side of the pond?

When I was looking to buy my first VW, I almost bought a Sepia Brown oval window with chromies and Porsche caps. It had been in HVWs. Used to be parked at the Chevron gas station on Red Hill & Walnut in Tustin. This would have been around '78.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Neil Davies

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 19:56:59 pm »

when we painted it back in 96/97 so nearly 17 years ago - as far as we know no one had painted a car that colour..

Are you talking on your side of the pond?

When I was looking to buy my first VW, I almost bought a Sepia Brown oval window with chromies and Porsche caps. It had been in HVWs. Used to be parked at the Chevron gas station on Red Hill & Walnut in Tustin. This would have been around '78.

It was the first that I remember seeing in that colour over here. Steve Bodycote from our club had a '64 painted Ford Roman Bronze, a deep metallic brown like Mark Thurbers car, but I think that was around 1998. Phils car was possibly linked more to the late 90s time period by the use of fully polished fives and no over riders on the bumpers, but swap the wheels for Fuchs and the bumpers for t bars and its look would change again.

Jez, as a totally random aside, your car was registered in Dudley, where I live! I seem to remember you saying it was your grandfather's car - how did he  come by a car registered in the Midlands?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 13:09:07 pm »

EDIT/DELATED  Wink

(Sorry)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 23:23:26 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
gingabloke

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 13:53:28 pm »

Blah blah blah

It's only a bodge if it fails...
Lee.C

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 15:35:50 pm »

EDIT/DELATED  Wink

(Sorry)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 23:23:49 pm by monkiboy » Logged

JezWest

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 20:12:50 pm »

Jez, as a totally random aside, your car was registered in Dudley, where I live! I seem to remember you saying it was your grandfather's car - how did he  come by a car registered in the Midlands?

He lived in Greenford, but the car was bought from the Orr-Tookey dealership in Stratford-Upon-Avon which might explain the Dudley registration. No idea why he chose to go to Stratford to make the purchase: although the quotation letter from Orr-Tookey includes a 10% discount - "As this confidential scheme is for the benefit of Association Members only under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should the members use this quotation as a 'lever' with their local Dealers".

Maybe he stopped off on the way back from Shakey  Grin

It was nothing to do with me...
RobtheManx

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 20:35:38 pm »

I knew some people would take my comments "Out of context"  Undecided  Tongue  Cheesy Smiley

Yes it is a Nice Car and built to a good standard...... I just PERSONALLY don't like it, Thats all....

Anyway......

If you knew people would take it out of context why say it ? Sometimes opinions should be kept to yourself !

If you saw Phil at a show , would you make a point of telling him you don't like his car !?

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Lee.C

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 20:47:23 pm »

EDIT/DELATED  Wink

(Sorry)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 23:24:17 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:55 am »

This is funny.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rob E

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 09:40:45 am »

He lived in Greenford, but the car was bought from the Orr-Tookey dealership in Stratford-Upon-Avon which might explain the Dudley registration. No idea why he chose to go to Stratford to make the purchase: although the quotation letter from Orr-Tookey includes a 10% discount - "As this confidential scheme is for the benefit of Association Members only under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should the members use this quotation as a 'lever' with their local Dealers".

Orr-Tookey was my local dealer! my camper was also purchased from there also.  Cool

I know when its race time, as I can hear the roar of engines from over the hill from here  Grin
Tim C

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 15:06:21 pm »

Rember it from the volksworld feature.
Cool picture next to the old Bernard Newbury oval...

Actually I'm fairly sure that was Tony Smith's oval although it was so long ago my memory is hazy.  Still, they did look nice at that VoWo Show

It was Tony Smith's car (a 54 Oval) - went through a number of changes over the years (see below).

I remember the Sepia car, it was very cool when it first came out (saw it at the Guildford VW cruise many moons ago). The colour at the time was pretty rare and worked really well with the interior/wheels. Such a shame it ended up totalled.

JG54 Greenhearts
Tim C

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 15:15:05 pm »

Oh and I for one, do like Sepia Brown as a colour (no metal-flake in sight!  Wink )

JG54 Greenhearts
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 16:41:57 pm »

The main bodywork resto was by the Paintbox - from memory it was really rusty and horrible inside so cutting it out was our only option.  The panel itself was then resto'd and replaced.  So it wasn't a performance modification.  Shane did that one - it took ages - shed loads of work for which I owe him a debt of gratitude!  So - good luck with the job!

Thanks, do you know if they re-welded it? I'm thinking of gluing mine with bodyshop glue, that way I can paint it first.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
leec

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 18:30:20 pm »

I have seen some neat bolt in vent panels. I am sure Ron Elliot's car on here has a bolt in vent panel?
Lee
bugnut68

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 21:19:12 pm »

Should have know this would get a reaction.......

I just pointed out that this is not the only sepia brown car around and IN MY OPINION its not that special......

I know I am not that interesting.... I am just a Fuckwit who is not affraid to express his opinion, I am sorry if this offends ANYONE!

Its funny how people want to hear OPINIONS that agree with the crowd but don't want to hear anything that goes against the crowd....

Anyway sorry to hear the car was totall'd its never nice to hear something like that  Smiley

I think folks overreacted to your original post, and the part of your quote I boldened pretty much says it all when it comes to sharing opinions/thoughts over the internet.  Christ almighty, one would think you insulted somebody's mother with the comment you made previously, but that clearly wasn't the case.  Being called a "fuckwit" is straight out of the Samba playbook, too, so I wouldn't take it to heart.   Wink
Lee.C

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 22:08:20 pm »

I haven't.....

Still a "Nice Car"  Wink

ESH

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2014, 22:18:19 pm »

Being called a "fuckwit" is straight out of the Samba playbook, too, so I wouldn't take it to heart.   Wink

Lee and I know each other personally, he knows where I am and I know what he is. My comment stands. This is not out of the 'Samba playbook'. There are many other facets to my opinion of Lee, all based on facts. I couldn't care less if he takes it to heart or not.

Spike Milligan once referred to someone as a 'snivelling shit'; I love that phrase, it describes so many.
JezWest

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 22:19:43 pm »

Orr-Tookey was my local dealer! my camper was also purchased from there also.  Cool

I know when its race time, as I can hear the roar of engines from over the hill from here  Grin

Cracking. The Old School supplier! Not quote Econo Motors I guess  Smiley

Do you still have the dealer sticker in the back window? Mine simply fell to pieces - and I never took a decent picture of it in order to recreate it.

Lee.C

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 23:13:34 pm »

Cracking. The Old School supplier! Not quote Econo Motors I guess  Smiley

Do you still have the dealer sticker in the back window? Mine simply fell to pieces - and I never took a decent picture of it in order to recreate it.

Funny you mention this.... When I first posted pic's of my 65 on a norwegian forum another member had the car 2 digits up from mine/sold from the same dealer and only 2 days apart.....

I even have some service history from the dealer.....

Anyway back to the car in question..... What size tires did it run???

JezWest

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 23:55:19 pm »

It's a long while ago now, but I think it was 145 on the front and 165 on the back.

Lee.C

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:45 am »

It's a long while ago now, but I think it was 145 on the front and 165 on the back.

Thanks.....

Smiley

Iryanu

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 10:23:51 am »

It says on the magazine article scan on the first page.  Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 14:28:06 pm »

I actually noticed it just after I posted..... Doh Roll Eyes Smiley

I do like this tire combo  Smiley

Previous post edited!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 23:25:28 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Lee.C

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 23:26:54 pm »

I would like to say sorry for my previous post.....

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: