The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:52:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP CLUBHOUSES AND THE PICKWICK HOTEL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DKP CLUBHOUSES AND THE PICKWICK HOTEL  (Read 16485 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 06:13:12 am »

Oh John, yes she was there. She was that grey haired 90 year old women with crepe paper looking skin... and the short skirt Shocked

Steve,  I'm glad you cleared that up for me as I thought I was seeing a Stephen King novel and it was just a well used Liz.  Knowing this I'll sleep better tonight...............   Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 08:00:17 am »

Seeing all the pics of Old Downtown always brings back a flood of some of the best memories of my life, what a Great place.    Thanks John
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 23:03:55 pm »

Thanks again John!  Smiley

Triple D

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 01:46:22 am »

Hey John
"Vhat is mit da Boom Boom??" Does that bring back and memories?? Wink
johnl

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 02:54:28 am »

Hey John

Wah da Boom Boom........          Grin   Wink Wink Wink

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
bilboa2

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 03:04:05 am »

john, thanks also , just wanted to agree with keith goss about seeing the old anaheim as I grew up. Great memories of riding around in the back  of my parents 63 pontiac wagon and seeing all the vws in the downtown area, la palma park, pickwick hotel, hillcrest park and remembering the "anchor muffler" written on some of the cars..I  barely remember going to the downtown fox theater and seeing the sound of music, army navy store,  sqr store, the library, etc  and the killer rail road tracks on lincoln where in the right lane it would almost tear your suspension out if you went to fast.. Did not know of "thee" dkp club then, but I liked the way they looked. Got me hooked for sure. First car I owned, vw. Hard to believe. Little did I know when years later roger grago pulled me over and invited me to join the dkp 2 gang. Dkp was in my blood and I never knew it. Thanks for the great historic shots and many, many great memories of growing up in anaheim and seeing history in the making.  AWESOME PICS.. THANK YOU...bill
johnl

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 03:32:48 am »

john, thanks also , just wanted to agree with Keith goss about seeing the old Anaheim as I grew up. Great memories of riding around in the back  of my parents 63 Pontiac wagon and seeing all the vws in the downtown area, la palma park, pickwick hotel, hillcrest park and remembering the "anchor muffler" written on some of the cars..I  barely remember going to the downtown fox theater and seeing the sound of music, army navy store,  sqr store, the library, etc  and the killer rail road tracks on lincoln where in the right lane it would almost tear your suspension out if you went to fast.. Did not know of "thee" dkp club then, but I liked the way they looked. Got me hooked for sure. First car I owned, vw. Hard to believe. Little did I know when years later roger grago pulled me over and invited me to join the dkp 2 gang. Dkp was in my blood and I never knew it. Thanks for the great historic shots and many, many great memories of growing up in anaheim and seeing history in the making.  AWESOME PICS.. THANK YOU...bill

For those of us that lived in the old downtown Anaheim before they plowed it down (don't ya just love progress) it definitely was a special place.  A '63 Pontiac wagon was and is a KOOL ride, but then I'm a wagon guy and like um all. 

I spent many hours in the Fox Anaheim and Fox Fullerton as a kid and also went to the Garden Theater on Lincoln almost at Olive before it became an "Adult Theater".  They use to show old serials there and you could get in with bottle caps. 

The SQR store was quite the place and the "R" stood for Renner.  I went to school with Randy Renner, grandson of the founder from the fourth grade up.  They had the "tubes" that took payments up to the second floor where they kept the $$.

You didn't mention Cotler's Men's Store.  I knew Ronnie Cotler through Schneider Motors as he had a VW and we use to cruise in it.  One night I'll always remember was we were driving west on Romneya St. just prior to Harbor Blvd. and Big Carl's.  The car felt funny and all at once the driver's side settled down as the front wheel came off and rolled out in front of us.  Luckily we were not going fast.  Ronnie pulled over and got the jack out.  I chased the tire and about five minutes later we were parked at Carl's having a burger.  Had to mention "burger" as Christie and I went to Bob's Big Boy in Orange for dinner tonight.  I think we were the youngest couple in the place.    Shocked Shocked Shocked

Roger Grago was just a kid when DKP I was going strong and I remember him and others in "the other clubs".  Back then it was a definite competition and each club view all others as the "enemy" to a degree.  I'm pleased to see all of that has changed and we all grew up and appreciate each other in the current times.

Great times and memories.  Glad to hear the comments from all as I say THANK YOU to all who remember.

Sarge

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 14:09:14 pm »

"Boom Boom" were the sounds of some raucous games of four-square we held INSIDE the clubhouse... the man uttering those words was Johann Stumpf who ran the hotel and most certainly hated us all.Angry  Years later, while selling parts at Commonwealth VW, I was filling out a special order form for an elderly German man at the front counter... it was HIM! Shocked

DKP III
mgmahaffey

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 04:22:56 am »

"vat is all dat boom, boom?!!". Those were great 4-square games. Not to mention dodgeball.
deano

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 06:11:08 am »

"vat is all dat boom, boom?!!".

There needs to be a new T-shirt with the Pickwick hotel/DKP Club House on it, with that slogan across the top!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 19:38:05 pm »

"vat is all dat boom, boom?!!".

There needs to be a new T-shirt with the Pickwick hotel/DKP Club House on it, with that slogan across the top!

Calling Mr. Rayburn... Mr. Rayburn to the white phone.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: