The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:44:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  TAR BABE, THE BUILD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: TAR BABE, THE BUILD  (Read 124195 times)
johnl

« on: November 30, 2011, 20:10:53 pm »

In my slide collection I've found some very early photos of Tar-Babe.  Some of these shots were taken at F&A on Howell St. in Anaheim.  The one thing I'm puzzled about it the bottom of the front nose as I remember it being more flat but possibly this was done a bit later prior to paint at Becker's.  If you look at the rear shots you can see how flat or horizontal to the ground the body is compared to a standard VW exhaust panel.

I've been saving these to share for the appropriate time and now with Russell's post http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,17345.0.html I feel it appropriate.

First shot is the car in F&A original shop with unknown car to the left.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 20:16:08 pm »

A shot of the car's rear.  Note the flat exhaust panel.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 20:21:50 pm »

The engine, don't recall the size and I remember it having a "Mag" in later configuration.

johnl

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 20:26:03 pm »

A three quarter passenger shot with the door not attached.  At this point the car was still pretty basic.  Unknown bus in the background.

johnl

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 20:30:42 pm »

The final shot of this series.  I believe this was taken at OCIR.  To the left with the Army hat is Rick Winter.  On the far right is Mike Mahaffey and possibly Mark Thurber next to him.  Unknown person at the rear of the car.

Matty c

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 20:37:27 pm »

Awesome pics as usual, tar babe is my all time favourite  Shocked
Thanks john

67heaven
Ole

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 20:51:21 pm »

Shocked  Shocked Shocked

How cool is that??

Thank you so much for sharing these treasures, made my day!

John, YOU DA MAN!!!

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 21:17:45 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked john your're da man , absoulty amayzing , thx for sharing
in some footage i've there's  tarbabe in primer color runnig at OCIR, may be bug in 8 , ron was always behind the wheels of underdog II in that film
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 21:02:37 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 21:23:39 pm »

Glad you guys are enjoying this.  I've got mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore for everyone.  Sarge, put on your seat belt cause I'm saving the BEST for last............................    Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

carlito421

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 22:30:47 pm »

thanks for sharing John.
That's always a pleasure to reed your stories...

Fab, tu prends des notes? Il a l'air bien archiviste le Monsieur aussi...  Wink

deano

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 22:52:29 pm »

Just when you think you've seen all the old DKP photos, Johnl drops a bomb with a Tar Babe build series. Just the best! I like looking at the shop background, as F&A had just moved into that Unit on Howell, from across the parking lot, judging from the lack of junk everywhere and new benches. Could that brown sedan on the left belong to Jim Brooks? I have never seen Tar Babe in primer like that.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 23:06:49 pm »

Wow John.......where were you when we were rebuilding the car ?

Anyway fantastic picture, thanks for taking, keeping and sharing.

Best Regards

Russell
johnl

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 23:21:41 pm »

Just when you think you've seen all the old DKP photos, Johnl drops a bomb with a Tar Babe build series. Just the best! I like looking at the shop background, as F&A had just moved into that Unit on Howell, from across the parking lot, judging from the lack of junk everywhere and new benches. Could that brown sedan on the left belong to Jim Brooks? I have never seen Tar Babe in primer like that.

Dean, you could be correct on the brown car belonging to Jim Brooks.  It could have been while he was doing one of his "Kitchen Table Engine Builds".  We all use to laugh at it but it was the truth...    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   

Christie remembers seeing Jim Brooks riding the OCTD (bus) going to work and said he looked like a lost sole on the bus.  Mike Mahaffey recently talked with Jim via the phone and he said he would be in the Garden Grove area around Christmas.  I sure hope so and maybe we can get together for a visit as the last time I think any of us have seen him was the DKP I Reunion.

Regarding the "primer shots" of Tar-Babe.  I never realized how many photos Christie and I took over the years.  Besides all of the DKP and VW stuff I've shared and will continue to do so we have discovered our past lives in front of us.  It sure brings back wonderful memories for us personally.

Side story;  last night on driving home from dinner I had on the "Elvis" station, what else??  They were playing a song from "Spinout" and she remined me that this movie was the first one we attended together at the Anaheim Drive- In on Lemon St.  It was Thanksgiving night 1966 and parked next to us was Rich Kugel and his then girlfriend Shanua Smith (a real cutie).  Christie was wearing some checkered pants with a side zipper and it broke.   No, I never touched it...    Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Off to the "lades room" she and Shauna went for the repair. 

In my life between hearing songs, seeing old photos or just having someone say something triggers the memories.  Great times and I'd sure like to go back and live them again.

johnl

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 23:26:14 pm »

Wow John.......where were you when we were rebuilding the car ?

Anyway fantastic picture, thanks for taking, keeping and sharing.

Russell, sorry I didn't discover these back then if it would have assisted with the restoration.  Anyway, I'm pleased you are enjoying them.  Hey, should I ever come over there do ya think I could get a ride in the Dog or Tar-Babe??  It would stir more memories for me.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 01:00:14 am »

As always, another glorious trip down memory lane John !
 Smiley
Fritter

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 01:42:13 am »

Wow, great stuff, thanks John!!

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:17 am »

Wow John! It doesn't get any cooler than this. I nominate you our official cal-look historian. Keep it comin' big man! Tar Babe is my favorite Gasser; more iconic than any other car .<--Period! IMO.     I suggest this thread becomes a sticky...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:08:05 am by WCB Cal-look FOCKER » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
beatnik beetle

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 09:12:51 am »

Fantastic to see more photo's of Tar Babe..thank you for sharing them...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:15 am »

Fantastic as always, John!  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Ole

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:12 pm »

So was this already the "2nd build" with the windscreen in stock angle? Or is the screen laid back in the first pics? Hard to tell from the perspective the pics were taken...

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
johnl

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 16:21:19 pm »

So was this already the "2nd build" with the windscreen in stock angle? Or is the screen laid back in the first pics? Hard to tell from the perspective the pics were taken...

I'm told that my attention to detail and memory are better than the average guy but on that one I honestly don't remember.  I'm sure Greg Aronson or Ron Fleming or possibly Sarge would know by looking at my photos that were posted.

SEBB

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 16:48:29 pm »

Fabulous !   Tongue Thanks johnl !!! Cool
Russell

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 21:06:01 pm »

John

Come to Scotland and you can ride in both, and maybe a few more that i have that you may remember......., Would love to see you in So-Scot

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
vwcab

peter

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 21:11:38 pm »

Awesome,let the pics come John.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
johnl

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 21:54:05 pm »

John

Come to Scotland and you can ride in both, and maybe a few more that i have that you may remember......., Would love to see you in So-Scot

Russell

I'll see if I can "pull a rabbit out of the hat" and make it happen.  Christie and I have always wanted to come to Europe as one of the things on our bucket list.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:00 am »

I'm now not so sure that posting the photos brought me good luck.  My latest Hot VW Magazine just arrived and it is torn to shreds.  Thanks to the U.S. Postmaster, no wonder the service is failing.  How do you destroy a magazine when it is in sealed plastic?   Angry Angry Angry Angry   Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

deano

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 02:48:02 am »

John e-mail me your address and I will have the elfs send you another one....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 03:58:17 am »

John e-mail me your address and I will have the elfs send you another one....
Thanks Dean,  I just sent you a PM.  Thank the efs too................

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:08 am »

Great photos John, I love seeing cars 'in build'.... maybe thats why mine are never finished  Cheesy

kraftwerk

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 09:26:50 am »

Sweeeet! my fave car ever!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: