The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:02:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP 2011 CHRISTMAS CRUISE IS IN THE HISTORY BOOKS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DKP 2011 CHRISTMAS CRUISE IS IN THE HISTORY BOOKS  (Read 12564 times)
johnl

« on: December 05, 2011, 05:38:51 am »

We've just returned home from this great event.  For those of you who couldn't attend I believe the car count was 111 which according to Bill Schwimmer is a new record.  The weather was clear and cool and the route was changed for the previous years.  A bit shorter but covered some of the neighborhoods that we've become familiar with.  The homeowners really go out to set the mood for the season and we owe them a big thank you for their efforts.

This year Christie and I were honored to have been asked by the DKP group to lead the event.  Memories stirred within my head from me leading the first Anaheim to Hollywood Caravan some 45 years ago.  That was a different time and place and I don't think that one could be pulled off today. 

One of the stops along our route was Troy High School in Fullerton.  This also brought back memories as many years ago I use to drive my 63 VW there to pick up my girlfriend.  Tonight I did the same except the "girlfriend" was my navigator...   Wink Wink Wink 

I hope all who participated had a good time on the drive and fellowship seeing old friends and meeting some new ones.  Christie and I look forward to doing it again next year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous 2012 to all.  Peace,  John & Christie

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:50:20 am »

A couple of shots of the DKP Old Guard.  First Ron Fleming and myself.  Next Mike Johnston who is almost go his new ride on the road, myself, Mike Taylor and Ron Fleming.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:48 am »

Our old faithful '63 sedan was the lead car followed by Gregg Bunch with his blue 64.

johnl

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:30 am »

The three Brinton pups made their annual appearance all decked out.  The kids love to see the dogs and I think the grown ups do as well....   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:58 am »

Good stuff, John, and great seeing you both.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:39 am »

My longtime friend Ed Craig made an appearance with his wife Sue and of course the Green Ghia.  Hard to believe but this coming June Ed & Sue will be grandparents.  Congrats to both....   Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Fritter

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 16:27:09 pm »

Christmas in California...that would be weird for me since I'm in the Chicago area and used to snow/cold weather!

Looks like it was a fun time!  111 cars is insane, in the midwest we might get 20 together and then those are not all cal lookers, they're from all areas of the air cooled hobby.

It's very cool seeing all the old pictures of you guys from the 60s and then seeing you "a bit older" and still hanging out/doing the same things.  I hope I still have friends like that when I'm your age, too cool!!

Any more pix??

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 17:02:18 pm »

Christmas in California...that would be weird for me since I'm in the Chicago area and used to snow/cold weather!

Looks like it was a fun time!  111 cars is insane, in the midwest we might get 20 together and then those are not all cal lookers, they're from all areas of the air cooled hobby.

It's very cool seeing all the old pictures of you guys from the 60s and then seeing you "a bit older" and still hanging out/doing the same things.  I hope I still have friends like that when I'm your age, too cool!!

Any more pix??

Mike,  I don't have anymore photos as Christie shot the ones I posted.  Unfortunately she didn't grab the camera until we were getting close to leaving Nick's.  No time for photos while on the route as we were busy trying to keep things orderly and make sure the group stayed together.  I'm now hearing that the count of 111 I posted has been upgraded to 119.

Along with the stress of leading this thing, our car acted up a bit with some kind of a fuel delivery or ignition problem.  I was afraid it might stop running while on the route, but alas it did the job.  Maybe it is telling me it needs more carbs and a bigger motor...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  I actually got into a discussion with Ron Fleming last night about building a 2110 Weber motor.

The weather was clear and cool (for us So-Cal ers) and our dogs were very happy to see us when we arrived home shortly after 8pm.  They both spent the night huddled next to us.    Wink Wink Wink  I don't know how you people that live in cold weather places that has all of that rain and snow deal with it.  Personally I hate winters here so I'd never make it anywhere else.

I hope others who attended the event will post their photos on this link.

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 03:08:16 am »

One of my favorite events for sure...... Too much fun as always  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:19:50 am »

A few more pictures.......  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers
edcraig

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:25:58 am »

Yep...that was a lot of fun.  Great turn out, and a fun drive up the Brea and back.  Thanks to DKP for a fun holiday event.

...Ed.
Sarge

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 16:10:32 pm »

Grin

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 16:15:29 pm »

Cheesy

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 16:19:53 pm »

Wink

DKP III
Fritter

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 16:50:51 pm »

Cool pix  Grin  I really dig Greg Bunch's '64.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
dirk zeyen

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 17:49:47 pm »

Please obey all traffic laws..... Grin
hard job!!!

back again!!!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 18:42:27 pm »

x2  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
carlito421

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 22:37:06 pm »

x2  Wink

yeah, me too

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 22:58:20 pm »

Sorry I showed up with V8 power...
johnl

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 23:03:39 pm »

Dominick,

Nothing wrong with those.  I have a few Hemi V8 powered cars myself.  They are really good on a clear day when you have a strong desire to burn some $$ and pollute the local atmosphere.   
   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 23:53:05 pm »

Dominick,

Nothing wrong with those.  I have a few Hemi V8 powered cars myself.  They are really good on a clear day when you have a strong desire to burn some $$ and pollute the local atmosphere.   
   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

John, I like your thinking, thanks!
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 00:48:01 am »

John & Dominick , please send me some global warming for Christmas.      Cheesy
johnl

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 02:31:11 am »

It is COLD enough here so I can only imagine what your weather is like.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Come home to So-Cal where you belong........      Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

70slooker

hello

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 03:23:45 am »

It is COLD enough here so I can only imagine what your weather is like.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Come home to So-Cal where you belong........      Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

x2 get your ass back home buddy, and build another legend!

Zündfolge Car Club
low oval
DKK

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:33 am »

that is one bad ass vega!

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 16:45:32 pm »

that is one bad ass vega!

Thanks! That was its maiden voyage with the new 406 monster, it should be making over 600hp plus I will be putting a 400hp nitrous unit on it soon. I started to bring my Unlimited Street car to do the drive with, it has not been driven since the Classic, and it was having issues so I took the Vega out for a spin.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 18:53:40 pm »

I couldn't get my ghia running so I contemplated bringing my nova.  got a ride with alex in black ghia vert instead.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: