The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 07:40:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Gene Berg pulley
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gene Berg pulley  (Read 11577 times)
big d chop

O/FF 16

« on: December 20, 2011, 18:56:31 pm »

Hi, does any body know if you can get a Gene Berg bottom pulley made of ally or are they all made from steel ? Or have I brought a fake ally pulley .

OFF 16
glenn

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 21:38:22 pm »

The 2 I have are steel.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 22:36:50 pm »

Steel.

Done ? Not Yet.
Ninho/DKM

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 03:04:53 am »

Steel!

1974 Superbeetle Porsche affected and influenced
1957 Gasser Project work in progress
1973 Thing type 181 Civil version (sold)
1959 Bug waiting attentions
1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

www.Surfinbirdbug.blogspot.it
www.Ninho-Reloaded.blogspot.it
richie

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 04:33:18 am »

Both,but i have no idea if the aluminum is real,it has a berg degree ring and is power pulley size,but it was cheap;-)

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 05:03:06 am »

The old ones were aluminium, exact same part as Santana except said Gene Berg at BDC.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
glenn

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:21:38 am »

I bought this one back in 1980 and it's steel.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
big d chop

O/FF 16

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:25:52 am »

The one i have is power pulley size with a degree ring on and i was told it was old as well so it might not be a fake after all Smiley

OFF 16
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:36:16 am »

Why don't you call them or send them an E-mail? You can purchase the degree ring for a couple of euros so that doesn't say much if it is real or not.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 14:04:55 pm »

This is want I'm referring to:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1223110

glenn

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 16:31:06 pm »

SCORE!!!! While rummaging thru the shelves at Gene Berg I found these long discontinued pulleys. These are the OOOOLD School Santana pulleys that Gene Berg hard anodized and intalled their steel degree rings.

First off I don't thin the people at GBE allow anyone to "rummage" through their shelves.

Second when you read it it says "that Gene Berg hard anodized and intalled their steel degree rings", so they are not GBE pulleys. 

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 19:32:39 pm »

you do know berg sells the degree rings separate from the pulleys... they are usually used to replace / restore originals and/or to fix those " other "  pulleys with lacquer screened markings that worn off or have the inferior paper degree ring that ends up coming unglued... 

Anthony / ISP WEST
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 04:41:39 am »

SCORE!!!! While rummaging thru the shelves at Gene Berg I found these long discontinued pulleys. These are the OOOOLD School Santana pulleys that Gene Berg hard anodized and intalled their steel degree rings.

First off I don't thin the people at GBE allow anyone to "rummage" through their shelves.

Second when you read it it says "that Gene Berg hard anodized and intalled their steel degree rings", so they are not GBE pulleys. 

I was just using that as an example of a Berg Santana pulley. They do exist.

Mike Maize

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 13:16:28 pm »

I have an NOS (formerly) one on my orange 67. I think I remember reading they sold them after they bought out Santana (my memory is not the greatest)Huh Mine is really nice quality and looks exactly like a Santana with Berg markings. I still have the box with the part number in the garage. I also have an aluminum Berg power pulley for the same car.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 13:21:45 pm by Mike Maize » Logged
neil68

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 20:58:16 pm »

Vee Dub Parts is a Berg parts dealer:  http://www.vwparts.net/GBE.html

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 23:03:44 pm »

Neil, here is the boxes the pulleys came in. Yes, I have rummaged thru the shelves and found these among other items. I worked at GB for years in the mid 80's and worked on these pulleys as well as many other parts. You can see the date these were packaged of 4/90 by SW. I can't recall who SW was. Check your mid 80's catalogs and you will find these part #'s. I'm a little insulted by your statement implying I am offering for sale fake GB items. Please check your facts before posting.
Look for more rummaged Gene Berg parts on our site and thesamba soon!!
Happy holidays to all my VW friends all over the world!!!!!

Greg
neil68

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 02:03:28 am »

Hi Greg,

That wasn't my statement...I was quoting another poster.

I was simply indicating that VDPU was a Berg dealer and would therefore have a connection to GBE...

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 02:06:57 am »

Sorry Neil, It was Glenn who I was replying to.
Greg
glenn

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 03:00:58 am »

Sorry Neil, It was Glenn who I was replying to.
Greg
Didn't intend to insult you.

GBE doesn't let anyone roam around, but since you worked there in the past, that explains it.

Secondly, it's technically not a GBE pulley. It's a Santana pulley that GBE sells. GBE sells many parts that they do not actually make. For example, I purchased a set of VW valve covers that GBE added vent fittings for, I would not describe them as GBE valve covers.

While this description is not wrong, I find it misleading.
"NOS Gene Berg Hard Anodized Santana Pulleys"  
It sounds like a Santana style pulley made by GBE, while it's a Berg modified genuine Santana pulley.

It's not until you read the text that you find it's not made by GBE.
"These are the OOOOLD School Santana pulleys that Gene Berg hard anodized and intalled their steel degree rings."

The original poster was also confused and thought it was a GBE made pulley.
Hi, does any body know if you can get a Gene Berg bottom pulley made of ally or are they all made from steel ? Or have I brought a fake ally pulley .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:06:02 am by glenn » Logged

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 07:27:50 am »

Glenn, since you obviously know more about the pulleys than I do, I'm not going to argue semantics. These are pulleys that sold as Gene berg pulleys with Gene Berg degree rings, with Gene berg part #'s listed in Gene Berg catalogs and sold at Gene Berg Enterprises, call me crazy but I'd say that makes them a Gene Berg pulley. I guess with your logic the t shirts aren't gene berg they are hanes.
Next time i'll take a picture as I hand Dee a check for the parts and post it in the listing.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 07:44:35 am »

Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin   HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!       KG
glenn

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 15:22:53 pm »

So then these are Gene Berg valve covers?

These are valve covers(pulleys) that sold as Gene berg valve covers(pulleys) with Gene Berg vents(degree rings), with Gene berg part #'s listed in Gene Berg catalogs and sold at Gene Berg Enterprises, call me crazy but I'd say that makes them a Gene Berg valve covers(pulley).

Only problem is they're stamped VW.

I see your point about the T-shirt

And i guess my old Berg 69mm crank is technically a VW crank that they but counterweights on, balanced and blue printed it. But since they did actually alter it significantly I feel comfortable calling it a Berg crank.

The problem is the original poster was confused enough to ask her if he got the real deal.

The answer is, no... it's a Santana pulley sold by Berg.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 15:24:34 pm by glenn » Logged

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
richie

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 19:04:32 pm »

Glen going on your theory then surely Berg didnt actually sell anything that is truely Berg? Everything I can think of that they sold has something that was outsourced,I never realised that I wasnt buying a Gene berg sump,or a gene berg pulley[steell],or even a gene berg crank?so many things made elsewhere and sold under the Gene berg banner/name Shocked

And before anyone takes my post to seriously i am only messing Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 19:48:50 pm »

No time to refute Glenns argument, I'm busy adding alcoa sumps and kaiser steel linkages to my website.
Taylor

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 20:06:10 pm »

Or oil pumps and thick top pistons.
OC1967vw

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 19:15:29 pm »

So then these are Gene Berg valve covers?

These are valve covers(pulleys) that sold as Gene berg valve covers(pulleys) with Gene Berg vents(degree rings), with Gene berg part #'s listed in Gene Berg catalogs and sold at Gene Berg Enterprises, call me crazy but I'd say that makes them a Gene Berg valve covers(pulley).

Only problem is they're stamped VW.

I see your point about the T-shirt

And i guess my old Berg 69mm crank is technically a VW crank that they but counterweights on, balanced and blue printed it. But since they did actually alter it significantly I feel comfortable calling it a Berg crank.

The problem is the original poster was confused enough to ask her if he got the real deal.

The answer is, no... it's a Santana pulley sold by Berg.

Glenn, you are absolutely correct. I too have a counter-weighted BERG 69mm crank with VW 311 rods.

BERG is BERG is BERG

Simple
Straight forward
Buy the Best.
Buy once.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 03:02:43 am »

There are the names ( Santana & Gene Berg) on the pulleys, and VW logos on the valve covers and cranks , therefor no misrepresentation has taken place so far as I can see , But then again , I enjoy reading people , piss and moan about meaningless shit ,Im just funny that way....    Grin Cheesy Grin               new years is just around the corner , so HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!!!         Grin
OC1967vw

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 05:27:08 am »

There are the names ( Santana & Gene Berg) on the pulleys, and VW logos on the valve covers and cranks , therefor no misrepresentation has taken place so far as I can see , But then again , I enjoy reading people , piss and moan about meaningless shit ,Im just funny that way....    Grin Cheesy Grin               new years is just around the corner , so HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!!!         Grin

Agreed. happy new year to soCal life and Glenn
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: