The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 18:28:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  THE RETURN OF JIM BROOKS DKP I TO SO-CAL
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: THE RETURN OF JIM BROOKS DKP I TO SO-CAL  (Read 6952 times)
johnl

« on: January 02, 2012, 05:46:29 am »

Well, this weekend has been good and bad.  The bad first was when I arrived home early afternoon on Friday.  Christie had taken a nasty fall in the house by tripping on a rug in our hall.  She was pretty bruised up, but said she would be okay.  I could tell she was hurting and by today the goose egg on her head was starting to go down but she is now working on two black eyes.  A photo attached was taken this afternoon at Disney's California Adventure.  She is now in bed and feeling like a truck hit her.

Now to the "good part".  I've been in phone contact with my old DKP buddy Jim Brooks who told me recently he and his family were coming out for a trip to Disneyland from their home in Utah.  Finally today we were able to meet Jim his wife Geneva and son Elliot.  He also had a daughter, son in law and grandchild here but we didn't see them.

It has been 21 years since we've seen each other and although we tried to get others involved in a reunion the only one that was able to pull it off on short notice was Ron Fleming at Nick's tonight.  The gathering was very light with only John Rayburn from DKP III and a few other VW folks there.

None the less is was a great afternoon and evening for us to catch up on old times and meet Jim's family.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:50:37 am »

A couple of photos of Jim his wife and son and then one of the four of us.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:55:02 am »

As previously stated, the four of us and then a shot of all of us riding the Tower of Terror.  That is me under the hat looking down as I have a thing about "high places, we are in the back row.

johnl

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:40 am »

Finally a shot of Ron Fleming greeting Jim as we arrived at Nick's and last a shot of Ron and John Rayburn sitting at a booth as we discussed old times.  Good times and good memories.

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:42:40 am »

Hi John, question, did Jim ever live in Montebello in the early early days? Reason why I ask, I knew a Jim Brooks WHY back when, just wondering,  thanks.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:28:32 am »

Cool, as always, John! Cool Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Russell

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:34 am »

Yip very cool, isn't it about time Fleming had a car again........

Best Regards

Russell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 16:20:41 pm »

Probably the best part of being part of these old Cal Look VW clubs... reuniting with old friends. Aside from the fact that we'll always have the great memories of what used to be. Equally as nice; the chance to create things that make up a memory.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 16:40:16 pm »

Hi John, question, did Jim ever live in Montebello in the early early days? Reason why I ask, I knew a Jim Brooks WHY back when, just wondering,  thanks.

Ted

Ted,  Jim was born in Long Beach on November 12, 1945 then moved to Lakewood and finally to Garden Grove with his parents.  He lived there back in the club days so to my knowledge it is not the same person.  His  parents lived only about a mile from my home today where we have been for 34 years.  Mike Dunphy, DKP II also lives only about a mile from me.

johnl

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 16:45:51 pm »

Probably the best part of being part of these old Cal Look VW clubs... reuniting with old friends. Aside from the fact that we'll always have the great memories of what used to be. Equally as nice; the chance to create things that make up a memory.

Missed you last night at Nick's.  Over the past few years that I've been back in the VW scene I've had a great time seeing old friends and reliving those times.  They were some of the best of my life.

johnl

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 16:50:34 pm »

Yip very cool, isn't it about time Fleming had a car again........

Ron showed me a photo of his Austin Healey that is now on the ground and not living on the lift at FAT where it has been for years.  I guess he has finally decided to sell it and was talking about buying a "new" beetle.  Says he doesn't like working on cars anymore due to his age, but right after saying that he left Cars & Coffee to go to his shop to work on the race car.  Go figure............ Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Russell

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 17:01:01 pm »

I think he should buy Larry mck black 67......... Would suit him down to the ground.  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
johnl

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:23 am »

The first photo of this thread was Christie January, 01 in the early afternoon.  The photos below were taken about 10 am January 02.  She is now I hope in "full blossom" and from this point forward I hope she improved.  At this writing she is on the couch with ice bags on her face.

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 07:17:01 am »

Ted

Ted,  Jim was born in Long Beach on November 12, 1945 then moved to Lakewood and finally to Garden Grove with his parents.  He lived there back in the club days so to my knowledge it is not the same person.  His  parents lived only about a mile from my home today where we have been for 34 years.  Mike Dunphy, DKP II also lives only about a mile from me.
Thanks John, Not to many Jim Brooks around., But thanks for clearing it up.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: