The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 14:29:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VW Trivia  (Read 9938 times)
edcraig

« on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:12 am »

So you think you are good with VW trivia.  Lets see who knows what these two acronym's stood for and history of...

NVRA 

SCVC

....Ed.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:23 am »

Wasn't SCVC the Southern California Volkswagen Council?

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
edcraig

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:17 am »

Yep...SCVC was a organizational board of most...but not all, of the SoCal based VW Clubs.  Each club had a board member that would meet, (monthly I think), to discuss club events.  I don't remember if any decals or patches existed.

Anyone got NVRA yet?

...Ed.
OC1967vw

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:36:55 am »

Yep...SCVC was a organizational board of most...but not all, of the SoCal based VW Clubs.  Each club had a board member that would meet, (monthly I think), to discuss club events.  I don't remember if any decals or patches existed.

Anyone got NVRA yet?

...Ed.

National Volkswagen Racing Association
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:58 am »

I think there was an article on SCVC in VW trends May 1981

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
edcraig

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:15 am »

Yes...you got it.  I was a member.  Well..I paid some dues and got decals at least.  I never attended any of the meetings.  I was about 17 at the time and had aspirations of building a race car.  From memory Dean Lowery and Gene Berg, (among other well known names), were involved at first, but think one of them bowed out shortly after.  The decals were pretty cool.  I have not seen one in decades.  If anyone has one, it would be a good post to see.

...Ed.
edcraig

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:22 am »

My last post was in reference to the correct answer from OC1967vw concerning NVRA.   
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:47:20 am »

Original decal that Burly Burlile gave me many years ago...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:52:22 am by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
edcraig

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 17:38:10 pm »

Pretty cool!  I have not see that decal in decades!

Ed
OC1967vw

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 19:32:20 pm »

My last post was in reference to the correct answer from OC1967vw concerning NVRA.   

thanks-an easy one for us oldtimers from oc
58vw

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 19:38:52 pm »

very cool...i remember that sticker in the window at a shop i worked at in placentia/fullerton in the 80s...pretty sure that was it

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 19:59:24 pm »

I think there was an article on SCVC in VW trends May 1981

The orange car on this cover is our own DKK Fred  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 20:12:41 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 20:16:50 pm »

Wink

edcraig

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 21:28:38 pm »

Pretty cool.  Thanks for posting.  I new more if the earlier members such as Der Volkswaffe and the Volkschargers. More around 1969/70.  Looks like it was still going in the early 80's too.

Ed
DKK Vince
DKK

"It's not RUST...it's PATINA"

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:06 am »

Wasn't SCVC the Southern California Volkswagen Council?

...Ed.

When I saw the answer was Southern California Volkswagen Council, it suddenly jogged a long lost memory. So I dug out my portfolio of old art and sure enough, look what I found all nicely mounted and matted to show a potential employer way back in the day...

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Unfortunately, I don't have the original logo artwork anymore (I'm pretty sure the decal printer got that). I'm just glad I'm too much of a procrastinator to bother throwing any of my ancient art out!  Cool
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 05:55:46 am »

Nice work, Vince!  I'm so glad you kept all of your VW art.  And yes, I recall the same about SCVC.  One rep per club met monthly so we could communicate events and such.  The stickers ran next to our DKK sticker on the rear quarter windows.  

Edit:  Looking through our old club pics, most of them were without the SCVC stickers.  I recall the group forming in my later days in DKK.  Here is the only pic I can find of DKK displaying the SCVC stickers.  This photo was taken by WORM at Bug-In.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:42:20 am by DKK Lisa » Logged
edcraig

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:50 am »

There "might" have been a earlier version of the SCVC decal too.  I'm honestly not certain about this, but seem to remember a letter only type.  Either way...seeing the one here is pretty cool.

...Ed.
OC1967vw

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:38 am »

Nice work, Vince!  I'm so glad you kept all of your VW art.  And yes, I recall the same about SCVC.  One rep per club met monthly so we could communicate events and such.  The stickers ran next to our DKK sticker on the rear quarter windows.  

Edit:  Looking through our old club pics, most of them were without the SCVC stickers.  I recall the group forming in my later days in DKK.  Here is the only pic I can find of DKK displaying the SCVC stickers.  This photo was taken by WORM at Bug-In.

How I remember those  stands and pits years ago....
LuftsickTero

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:34:21 am »

Sorry for the off-topic.. (can one call it trivia if he doesn't know the answer?  Smiley ) But is there more photos of that blue late DKK Looker?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
streetvw

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 15:46:43 pm »

Sorry for the off-topic.. (can one call it trivia if he doesn't know the answer?  Smiley ) But is there more photos of that blue late DKK Looker?

I was just going to ask the same question it looks real nice
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 17:16:10 pm »

Wink

edcraig

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 17:51:35 pm »

When I joined Volkschargers back in '69, they already were a part if the SCVC group at that point. Along with my Volkschargers decals, I do remember having a SCVC decal too.  Fairly certain the design was letters only.  Around then I'd say that most, but not all if the so cal based VW clubs were associated with SCVC. When I started DRA we did not become part of the group.  Honestly don't remember a reason why not.  I think the organization faded a little in the mid 70's but with the later decals and some new members and new events, made a comeback and stuck around till the early 80's. 

Ed
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: