The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:12:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Registering Vintage, Year of Manufacture License Plates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Registering Vintage, Year of Manufacture License Plates  (Read 7630 times)
Dan Mazur

« on: January 17, 2012, 22:15:32 pm »

I don't know if this has been posted.  But, for those of you thinking of running vintage license plates on your cars and looking for some answers:

My saga began when I bought my car.  I was handed a file containing all the paperwork for my car since the date of purchase in 1968.  I was lucky to learn what California license plate was issued.  Curious?  The letters were XNY. 

I was walking the swapmeet at the Jamboree in 2010 and found a pair of matching plates; I knew the seller and bought the plates for $60.00 (These plates will be listed for sale on the lounge soon.)  What I didn't know was to inquire if the plates were no longer listed on the current DMV files.  Nor do I remember being told the plates weren't clear.  This is a very important lesson.  Ask if the matched set of plates are clear.  Otherwise you look like an idiot at the DMV when the agent tells you the plates are currently registered to a Volkswagen (Don't ask me, I just know!).

If you're registering California Plates in California, take some time to read the laws posted at CADMV.GOV.  You can search "Year of Manufacture" and find forms to fill out and publications with the guidelines.

Another thing you must know:  I purchased another matched set of plates from a vendor who sells plates and frames at most Volkswagen events and Swapmeets in Southern California.  He was very forthcoming and offered fair prices.  His name is Jason for those of you poised and ready to ask.   He mentioned to register your plates, they must be cleared by the DMV and you must have the correct Year of Manufacture Registration Tag Sticker that matches the year of your car.  My car is a 1968 so the tag stickers must be 1968. Jason then directed me to another plate vendor who sells the tag stickers.  The plate can be any digit sequence, for black plates issued from 1963 through 1969. However, for purists like me, you would want to find plates that match as close to the year of issue.  Remember, you must have the correct tag sticker to get DMV approval.
All that being said, your next hurdle is the agent who processes your plates at the DMV.  I read and was told that the tag sticker must be affixed to the plate, and the plate would be photographed and submitted to Sacramento for approval.  I was also told by the vendor selling the stickers, you would only need to show the sticker to the agent and that would be just fine.  I lucked out.  The plates were nice and clear, the tag sticker only needed to be displayed and no photos were taken!  I paid my fees of $45.00 and smiled all the way home!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:00 am »

In Arizona the process is simpler. Just find a period correct plate that is clear (can be easily checked online), and go in to register it. There is no need for the correct sticker. The need for the correct sticker seems ridiculous when they don't care if the plate has the correct sequence Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:49:06 am »

Due to the number of repro plates out there, I have heard that if your local DMV questions a plate (YOM), they will send it to Sacramento to be checked out more closely.

So, did the DMV require that the year sticker be attached to one plate before they would sign it off?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dan Mazur

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:16 am »

Due to the number of repro plates out there, I have heard that if your local DMV questions a plate (YOM), they will send it to Sacramento to be checked out more closely.

So, did the DMV require that the year sticker be attached to one plate before they would sign it off?

Nope!  She just wanted to see the sticker.

You brought up a great point!  Both plates must be steel, not aluminum.  The right side tag sticker box must have the number "63" stamped there.

We saw original issued plates for sale without the "63" stamping.  These plates were issued by the DMV for purposes of re-registration or lost or stolen plates.  I was told, these plates are also difficult to have approved.

Chris W

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:40 am »

Oregon is simple also. All you need is one clear plate and some cash, they never even looked at the plate I was going to run.  Grin
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:18 am »

Both plates must be steel, not aluminum. 
If the first pair you bought were steel, how can that number be on a car already?
Taylor

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:45 pm »

If the first pair you bought were steel, how can that number be on a car already?

I can think of a few... but most likely is that the car is registered still, just as a non op, and the plates were either accidentally or inadvertently sold. They may even have been lost or left behind at a storage.  As long as the car is registered Non Op the plates will be issued to it but not necessarily on it.
deano

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 17:36:17 pm »

We saw original issued plates for sale without the "63" stamping.  These plates were issued by the DMV for purposes of re-registration or lost or stolen plates.  I was told, these plates are also difficult to have approved.

I purchased a repro plate from one of the on-line companies, and had it shipped to an AZ address. Very nicely done, but as you noted, no 63 box!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 20:10:05 pm »

Maybe the PO used the plates to get the car registered, got a reproduction made to run on the car and then sold off the originals.

The DMV only checks on the initial application. After that the only way you'd get caught is if a LEO was smart enough to catch that the plate was aluminum during a traffic stop.

Not 100% on the up and up but a possibility.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
John Palmer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 03:03:50 am »

The NUMBER on the plate "has to be out of their system" for 36 months before they will re-issue it on the Y.O.M. program.  The plate number sequence has been reused over the years, so you might find old plates that have the same license number as found on newer plates.  I once had a mint set of 1951 plates that I wanted to register to our 1955 Barn Door Bus.  They told me the plate number was registered to a To#¤ta trunk, but that it had not been "renewed" in the last two years.  So....I left the DMV office with my plates and came back in 12 months with the same plates.  They sailed right through the second time. 
Dan Mazur

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:22:48 am »

Couple of things that need to be mentioned.  Bring your current plates to surrender when you register YOM plates.  It sucks going to the DMV once,  twice.....

There are many license plate restorers out there.  They restore and sell plates.  I found a guy who lives close by.  He does good work and is reasonable.  He has plates for sale too!  I wish I knew about him one week ago, but I now have plates for my car, learned about the process   and saved a few dollars.

John Palmer

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 18:45:48 pm »

Since we are talking about the California YOM program, we need to let others know that there are "MODEL YEAR" limits on exactly what year vehicles are eligible for this DMV program.  At one time, it was the 1965 model year cars for the cut off.  I had a 1966, and it was a "no go" even though I had good "cleared" vintage plates.  I know they have changed this, and allowed later years recently.  It's also different for the "years allowed" for cars, versus "commercial" vehicles as in trucks, pick ups, etc.  You need to check it out before you buy any license plates.  Or buy your vintage plates from one of the major vintage plate vendors that attend Pomona, Long Beach, etc. auto swap meets.  They are in the same spot every month, know all of the DMV YOM rules, and will guaranty the plate to be "registerable" to your car.

Another piece of trivia on the YOM program in California.  You can get a YOM plate assigned on the PTI license plates (permanent trailer identification) program.  If you have a vintage trailer and want to run a vintage "trailer" license plate, your good to go.  Just pay the "one time" $45.00 YOM fee on your vintage plate, and then it becomes a PTI plate, which is renewed every five years for a nominal fee.  I just had this done to a 1953 travel trailer.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 18:48:15 pm by John Palmer » Logged
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:43 am »

Hey John, you almost brought up another good point for plate shoppers. There are different alpha / numeric sequences for passenger plates and commercial plates and you CANNOT swap them! Passenger plates for passenger vehicles and commercial plates for vehicles registered as commercial vehicles ( that means pick-up trucks too! ).
Before I bought my plates from a seller on a world infamous auction website, I called my local CHP office and very nicely explained what was goin’ on and they ran the number for me and they were able to tell me there was “no record” for the plate. I bought the plates and had no problems at DMV getting them on the “YOM” program. Well . . . no problem other than my car was on “non-op”, so I had to bring the registration current and buy insurance. After I got the plates squared-away, I put the car back on “non-op”.

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
Dan Mazur

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 07:30:20 am »

Picked up my plate from the restorer today! I'm really happy with his work!

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:43:03 am »

ohhhhh  YEAHHHH  sweet!!

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 08:14:24 am »

The plate turned out nice, Dan. Stoked for ya! So much more flattering than the over restored look, too. Good call on the finish.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:46:36 am »

See...told ya Danno..!!!.. Wink...aren't cha glad ya waited..!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 11:21:47 am »

Ya, but he'd missing some numbers, or the guy for to paint them WTF?  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 03:32:17 am »

Ya, but he'd missing some numbers, or the guy for to paint them WTF?  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Ted

I see what you did there, Ted.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: