The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:05:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SOME EARLY ADVENTURES OF JIM & JOHN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SOME EARLY ADVENTURES OF JIM & JOHN  (Read 22170 times)
johnl

« on: February 01, 2012, 17:27:59 pm »

The Lounge seems to be a bit quiet these days so I thought I'd do another installment of some of my early photos.  These would have been taken in the summer of 1969 shortly after Jim and I completed our military duty.

The first shots were taken at my folks house when Jim, Sharon, Christie and I had a BBQ.  There is a pile of junk in the background as my Dad was into wood working and always making something.  All of the furniture you see he made and he must have been into something big when these were taken.

The last photo of this group is Jim in my folks garage and you can see the left front fender of my car.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 18:02:00 pm »

Photos taken by Christie in the driveway of us with our '63's.  Looks like we were in a contest to see who could have the highest front end....    Wink Wink Wink Wink

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 18:08:40 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked early pre cal look  Grin  , as always thx for sharing john

fabs  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 18:45:49 pm »

These will be mostly of my car but the first is end Edmistons (in the shot) and my car at the San Diego Zoo.  Next is a shot I took of Christie when she first went into the Dentail Field which she is still doing today.  How long has it been since any of you have seen a nurse wearing that outfit??  The Corvair in the background was her car at that time and we went many places in it.  I always thought Corvairs got a bad rap.

The third shot is my car in the folks driveway.  Note the solid front chromies with Porsche caps and the outer of the crest painted yellow.  The rear fenders were hand laid glass and note the are extra wide with a soft flare.  The black sedan in the background is my folks '66 which was the car that Rich Kugel and I took to Bonneville in the summer of 1969.

Last is the interior of my car with much chrome.  Note the Covico steering wheel and the Muntz 4 track player under the dash.  I think the Tac was a "Sun Instruments" and last the solid shift ball that was very heavy as I recall.

johnl

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 19:12:28 pm »

Back in the day Jim and I spent many an hour detailing our rides either at Hillcrest Park in Fullerton or Irvine Park which back then was way out from the towns.  These photos are of the latter location and this is also where we first met Gregg Bunch back in the middle '60's.  The first photo shows both of us and I'm wearing my "Kingston Trio - Beach Boys" shirt.  Do any of your remember these groups??  Note that Jim is in a white T-Shirt as this was before advertising on shirts became the thing.

johnl

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 19:24:25 pm »

One of my favorite shots of Sarge.  He is at the "Outhouse" pondering, should I or shouldn't I??  Christie is clearing the way just in case he decides to enter the "facility".

Second shot is also one that I still laugh about.  When we shot these one of us found the "feather".  When Jim wasn't looking I installed it in the exhaust and took the shot.  Could this possible indicate I was implying the car was a "Turkey"??  No not really, but it sure was fun.

Third shot is both cars and the fourth is one that I climbed up in the tree and took of Jim's car.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 19:28:48 pm »

john on the above picture  , there's no DKP stickers on both car ,  it was before the club Huh
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 19:37:22 pm by speedwell » Logged

johnl

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 19:33:22 pm »

No, the club was in existence but because we were both "inactive" due to being in the Military I guess you could say at that time we were not members.  Shortly after these were taken we both became active in DKP again.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 19:37:57 pm »

No, the club was in existence but because we were both "inactive" due to being in the Military I guess you could say at that time we were not members.  Shortly after these were taken we both became active in DKP again.

thx Wink

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 20:13:50 pm »

This is always a pleasure to read your stories John  Smiley

Nice shots, nice cars, nice people.

Thanks for sharing.
johnl

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 20:36:21 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

Nice shots, nice cars, BUT don't you think the "people" are a bit sketchy???     Wink Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 20:39:54 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

Nice shots, nice cars, BUT don't you think the "people" are a bit sketchy???     Wink Wink
are you Huh  ........you are   Grin Grin Grin... Wink

58vw

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 20:56:52 pm »

thanks for sharing...awesome pics

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 23:03:11 pm »

Thanks once again John  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fritter

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 02:05:03 am »

Cool pix.  Talk about a lot of tire and wheel combos!  I like the bumperless/chromie look the best.  Cheesy

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:35 am »

Great photos John. It looks like Irvine park to me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:10:00 am by Bill Schwimmer » Logged

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
johnl

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 06:16:36 am »

Bill, the latter photos WERE taken in Irvine Park.  Back in the day you could drive in with no fee to pay, times have changed.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 06:26:47 am »

Photos taken by Christie in the driveway of us with our '63's.  Looks like we were in a contest to see who could have the highest front end....    Wink Wink Wink Wink
It sure is nice to see, I wasn't the only one to be nose high and ex military in 1970.  Of course, I must have been the only one stupid enough to put a

300 cfm Holley Bug Spray on a stock 36hp motor.  Grin

This shot was taken at Santa Ana college ,where I was taking an Advanced Engine course. A fellow classmate insisted my carb swap would never work.

Gas axe in hand I made it work...sorta.  Cheesy   My fellow classmate went on to pilot the Don Burns "Super Bug"...you know him as John Smith.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:51:20 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
johnl

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 06:31:38 am »

Photos taken by Christie in the driveway of us with our '63's.  Looks like we were in a contest to see who could have the highest front end....    Wink Wink Wink Wink
It sure is nice to see, I wasn't the only one to be nose high and ex military in 1970.  Of course, I must have been the only one stupid enough to put a

300 cfm Holley Bug Spray on a stock 36hp motor.  Grin

Well, I also ran a Bug Spray but I had a few more "ponies" to support it.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:00 am »

Cool stories and photos as always, everybody. Makes me feel young in comparison. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
beatnik beetle

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:58 am »

Great photo's ..thanks for sharing them...
jonathan

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 13:32:03 pm »

Thanks again John,love reading your stories from the early days.
So cool to see the transition of the cars(and fashions)over the years.
johnl

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 16:32:05 pm »

Cool stories and photos as always, everybody. Makes me feel young in comparison. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Keith,  not to worry about the age thing.  Yes, you are younger than Sarge and myself but no matter how you cut it you are still, well,  OLD......... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 16:34:34 pm »

Thanks again John,love reading your stories from the early days.
So cool to see the transition of the cars(and fashions)over the years.

Yep, Sarge and I always considered ourselves FASHION PLATES but we never figured out why we didn't end up on the cover of "G.Q.".        Wink Wink Wink   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 16:44:06 pm »

GQ? Geriatric Quarterly?  Kiss

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 16:46:14 pm »

GQ? Geriatric Quarterly?  Kiss

Hey son,  show some respect or else one of us will beat you about the head severely with our "walkers".    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

deano

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 17:18:00 pm »

John, we had that same set of folding card table chairs at my house.... I think we got them with Blue Chip stamps...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 17:27:23 pm »

John, we had that same set of folding card table chairs at my house.... I think we got them with Blue Chip stamps...

Dean, don't let everyone know our families were so poor we had to share the same furniture !!!!   Shocked Shocked  I don't know where ours came from but I'm surprised my Dad didn't make those as well.  We couldn't keep him out of his shop doing his pasion.

Ah yes, the famous "Blue Chip" or "S&H Green Stamps".  I use to trade with Chuck's Texaco (Chuck Purrington) on the north west corner of Harbor Blvd. and La Palma (today it is a 7-11) and every time I purchased gas we got some of those. 

Also at one time they had a deal going with silverwear and believe it or not our daily forks, knives and spoons today is that same stuff.  Guess that just reflects what a cheap guy I am !!  Those were definitely the days.................

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 19:40:40 pm »

Bill, the latter photos WERE taken in Irvine Park.  Back in the day you could drive in with no fee to pay, times have changed.

I remember playing on that arched tree as a child.  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Tony M

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 22:53:59 pm »

Growing up in Tustin, i remember seeing quite a few bugs around ( mid to late 60's ) They guy who lived across the street from us ran the bicycle rentals at Irvine Park. He would bring home the broken bikes and fix them up for us kids. Thanks for sharing.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: