The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:40:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Carillo Rods
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Carillo Rods  (Read 13566 times)
Dan Mazur

« on: February 05, 2012, 13:20:40 pm »

I wanted to have my engine assembled with Carillo rods.  No real reason, other than quality.  The order was placed through a reputable VW performance shop here, in Southern California, back in September.  We were told the rods would take four to six weeks to manufacture. After FIVE months and a lot of run-around, I decided to get my money back and buy rods from another manufacturer. 

My understanding is, Carillo does NOT offer to the Volkswagen community.

If we would have been told the manufacturing order would take six months at a minimum,  i would have made a better decision and my engine would be running today.  Some vendors need to be more honest to their customers!

I will never use this company's parts in any of my projects.

My two cents.  Rant over.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 14:26:14 pm »

Try Shawn Geers at Geers Engineering, I'm sure he can help you.

/Rolf
jmarkha1

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 15:13:16 pm »

Pauter rods have a great reputation for quality and strength - not quite as much as Carrillo last time I bought.
axam48ida

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 20:44:53 pm »

sent you a PM

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
58vw

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 20:54:55 pm »

CP pistons owns carrilo...i think you need to know somebody there...like a shawn geeers

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
kingsburgphil

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:38:04 am »

I've heard good things about these guys.

http://www.oliverconnectingrods.com/products.html
Fast Bug

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 20:29:21 pm »

A little off topic but what’s the fuss about Carrillo rods? I do not doubt that Carrillo rods are great and maybe No. 1 but why are they worth the money compared to other brands? I just think Carrillo have a good reputation because they have been in the business for a long time 50 years or so, and maybe one of the first to offer exotic H-beam rods in a good quality. Today there are so many brands to choose from and more or less all H-beams are made the same way.  Forged 4340 material, heat treated, machined, shot peened and supplied with ARP bolts. So why buy Carrillo is it the name you pay for?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 20:39:32 pm by Fast Bug » Logged
Fast Bug

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 20:37:53 pm »

The Carrillo’s are special order for air cooled VWs, that sounds like $$$$$$$$
Dan Mazur

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 22:40:35 pm »

I wish to thank all of you who took the time to reply to my post.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering purchasing from this company as they obviously don't have their shit together during this tough economic time.  The high performance market is only a luxury and not a necessity and I could understand the manufacturing delay if they were a major supplier to the auto industry and needed time to re-tool for a single order.  If a company cannot commit to a completion date and exceeds it then, in my honest opinion will not be around for the long run.

To finish, I'm getting a refund from the shop where the order was placed.  I will be purchasing Pauter Rods this week.

Yes, I'm bummed.  The idea of having Carillo Rods in my engine would have been cool.  But after all of these months, I'm not so thrilled.

Taylor

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 00:57:40 am »

Call Roger at heads up 714-871-1940. He could probably get you either brand.  He's a great Guy and knows everything about vws.  I buy everything through him including pauter rods.
Taylor
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:39 am »

Is there another quality H beam rod out there that isn't built in China? Maybe something on the lower end of the price scale compared to Carrillo. Scat? Bugpack?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:01 am »

Tero,

That's the theme of my car.  No Chinese drivetrain parts.

Unfortunately, I was told by someone in the industry that Carillo is casting in China and finishing here.  Now, I'm a little relieved to move on to Pauter for Rods.  It's a decision I refused to make several months back......

Thanks to all of you for your help and recommendations!

Dan

richie

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:38:48 am »

I just wanted to warn anyone considering purchasing from this company as they obviously don't have their shit together during this tough economic time. 

Without naming them how are we supposed to know who to avoid?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Taylor

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:19 pm »

I have already said to call Roger but... when I got home from work today I had a box of very custom CP Pistons that I had ordered from Heads up a month ago.  I think that tells the story!  Also, the Pauter rods I ordered a while back from Rog cam in about the same time or less (also custom. 
qubek

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

Tero,

That's the theme of my car.  No Chinese drivetrain parts.

Is it even possible? Even if you find parts that are not labeled as made in China, there still is a high probability that some one them will - in reality - be from China. Chinese will make whatever you order from them. If you ask for the box to be marked as "made in Brazil" - they will do it.

I'm also curious what's the point in buying Carillo rods when there are others which are - if I'm not mistaken - more then up to the job. Apart from the fact that I would also like to have Carrillos in my engine, just for the plesure of knowing that they are there

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Udo

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »

I would use the light weight pauter rods for N/A engine. Strong and cheap for what you get.

Udo

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 16:07:57 pm »

Another vote for Pauter! The best out there!!
Donny B.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 16:41:22 pm »

I was told years ago that the Carillo Rods were made in the US using a proprietary alloy as were the bolts.  Don't know if that is still the case, but they were considered the best for a reason.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Dan Mazur

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 17:08:32 pm »

I just wanted to warn anyone considering purchasing from this company as they obviously don't have their shit together during this tough economic time. 

cheers Richie

It's the name of this thread.  The shop where the rods were ordered is only the middleman.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 17:34:06 pm »

Is there another quality H beam rod out there that isn't built in China? Maybe something on the lower end of the price scale compared to Carrillo. Scat? Bugpack?

You could always order the rods from auto verdi, they forge their rods in Sweden.
http://autoverdi.se/

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
richie

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 17:54:13 pm »

cheers Richie

It's the name of this thread.  The shop where the rods were ordered is only the middleman.

Ok,but i am not convinced that is was actually carrillo,I have ordered carrillo rods through a VW retailer and never had a problem,longest its taken is 5 weeks and I was told in advance it would be that long.
Recently order some CP pistons,2 sets on different occasions[same company as carrillo] and it took less than 2 weeks both times,hopefully you got your money back ok and are happy with the Pauters,they are a really good quality rod Smiley

cheers Richie

Udo

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 18:12:11 pm »

Pauter recommends the light weights for N/A and the old style for turbos. Since they make those lighter ones i think there is no need for Carrillos .

Udo

richie

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 18:26:04 pm »

Pauter recommends the light weights for N/A and the old style for turbos. Since they make those lighter ones i think there is no need for Carrillos .

Udo

Udo

They are still heavier than carrillos though so maybe for a super street or pro stock engine carrillos would be the choice,then again maybe you need to go to Titanium for that? pauters Ti rods are a real piece of art Smiley

cheers Richie

Jeff68

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 22:16:51 pm »

I have a set of Porsche length,  Porsche journal Carillo Rods in my engine. These rods are diferent from the Chinese H-Beam rods. I also had a set of Bugpack H-Beam 5.5 in Porsche rod journal rods and compared the two sets. They are both quality rod sets but there are differences (weight , dimensions, bolts, material). Carillo rods have SPS bolts which are supposed to be made from a proprietary material as the is the connecting rod body.  I think the price is high for Carillo rod sets partly because the demand is low.  I'm sure Carillos VW connecting rod sales are very low, which will cause lengthy lead times and higher prices.  The same follows for a Forged and Manufactured / machined and inspected in USA Aircooled VW Crank, high quality part, low demand, price is higher.  If no one wants / buys the expensive, quality stuff the cost will be high and the time to get parts like these long.
Taylor

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 22:25:29 pm »

My Pauter 5.400" rods are 504 grams each.  Carillo are lighter than that Richie?
kingsburgphil

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 22:39:04 pm »

I assume I have a set of these in my motor,  http://apsparts.en.alibaba.com/product/377401661-211963139/Forged_Chromoly_H_Beam_Rod.html .

I keep that in mind when I set the rev limiter.
65bug

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 22:52:45 pm »

Pauter makes great stuff! I love my Pauter crankshaft and cam from them. My next build will have Pauter rods in it! They make great stuff!
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 22:55:44 pm »

My Pauter 5.400" rods are 504 grams each.  Carillo are lighter than that Richie?

What size journals, Taylor?

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Taylor

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 23:16:34 pm »

My Pauter 5.400" rods are 504 grams each.  Carillo are lighter than that Richie?

What size journals, Taylor?
2"
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 23:25:45 pm »

My 5.400" Carrillos are 504 grams as well, but Porsche journal.
Also, I have a set of Porsche journal 5.600" Pauters that weigh in at 595g, whereas the 5.500" Carrillos I have are 512g. I don't think .100" will make up the 83g difference. Wink

Either way, both American products and excellent choices.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: