The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:11:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug-In - Not Quite Dead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Bug-In - Not Quite Dead  (Read 22436 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:56 am »

From Ron Flemming's FaceBook page;

I'm talking with rich kimball about the bug in. And I Can tell you all that there will be a bug in this year stay tuned for the latest info

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Troy Palmer

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 17:34:49 pm »

Interesting, looks like Famoso (Bakersfield) has an open date (replacing T-N-T) on Saturday 4/28 and Barona has Saturday and Sunday 4/28 and 4/29 open-assuming they will have drag racing.  If drag racing is posponed this year I assume they could still run the even at Fontana.
Troy
John Palmer

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:26:25 am »

If drag racing is postponed this year I assume they could still run the even at Fontana.
Troy

Great.....hope we don't end up with only a car show......in the empty parking lot at Fontana.......playing the sound tracks from Dan's old Ocean Street Video's over the PA system.  Might have to light a tire fire to add the smell of burning rubber to enhance the former racing experience.  We will all be sitting around with RED CUPS with our race cars on their trailers ,talking about how much fun it was in the good ole days.  Let's just have the Bug In at Nick's drive in.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:33:39 am »

Only if they'll allow a burnout contest.
... 1/8th mile drags on the street till the cops show???
 Wink
TxT
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:35:33 am by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:30:28 am »

Let's just have the Bug In at Nick's drive in.

D.K.P. has been doing this for years.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 00:33:06 am »

Any status updates on the Bug in? 

...Ed
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 00:57:30 am »

Just looked at the Bug-In website and nothing.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:27:01 am »

From BugIn.com

Bug-In moves to Irwindale!!!

The Flat-4 Bug-In 37 will be held at the Irwindale Speedway!

We are sure that a lot of you have heard the stories and rumors, both fact and fiction, about the closing of both the Irwindale and Fontana Drag Strips. The Irwindale facility closed because the people leasing the property filed Chapter 7 and left the building. The immediate future was unknown, but canceling plans for the March 18 Drag Day event. A couple weeks later word went out that the Fontana track was also closed because of a noise problem. At first we heard it just might be a few days . . . and then we heard at least six months. The future for the Bug-In and Hot VWs Drag Day 2012 season was not looking good.

. . . But now things have changed and the owners of the Irwindale Speedway property have given us the rights to hold the Flat-4 Bug-In 37 at their Irwindale facility. Drag Racing is still up in the air, but we won’t know for a couple weeks. The folks at the raceway are very positive and working with us in any way they can. They have also given us the tentative date of July 15 as a make-up date for the March Drag Day race and are still holding our October 28 date for our Triple Crown Series finale. We think we’re looking quite a bit better!

The Flat-4 Bug-In 37 will host the largest all-VW swap meet on the West Coast and a giant car show with classes for all Volkswagens, both are free entry with paid spectator admission. Legendary VW racers, Mark and Paul Schley, have just finished the restoration of their “Chop-Top” Lightning Bug, and Scottish collector, Russell Ritchey, has flown over his example of the first Oval Window Lightning Bug. Both of these classic race Beetles will be shown, along with the Lightning Bug Dragster. The Land Speed racers will also be there with a large contingent of salt-flat cars, we have special club displays, including DKP who will be hosting their cruise night at Nicks on Friday night. The manufacturers’ ‘mid-way’ will feature all the latest VW stuff.

Still a lot of other special activities being planned . . . . and maybe some racing!

Stay tuned!

Periscope Enterprises
e-mail: info@bugin.com

edcraig

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:58:48 am »

Great News!  Hope the racing happens, but if not, its still better than no event.

...Ed
Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 14:07:32 pm »

Excellent news... no more hour plus drive to that horrible place known as Fontana. Now if we can only get O.C.I.R. put back.

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 16:29:20 pm »

Excellent news... no more hour plus drive to that horrible place known as Fontana. Now if we can only get O.C.I.R. put back.

You mean the" Windy Dustbowl"??

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 18:31:17 pm »

Maybe for you... Irwindale is considerably farther for me!

Russell

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 20:24:58 pm »

All

This is the first that Ive heard of this and I'm really glad that Rich and team have managed to reorganise Bugin at Irwindale. Currently the VW Gasser Garage "Oval Lightening Bug" replica is currently on display at the NHRA Wally Parks museum, the plan was to take it out for the Bugin at Fontana for a Head to Head Race with Schley's LB2, however as the racing at Bugin looked like it wasn't going to happen Ive amended my plans and was thinking about going to Classic instead, however this is not confirmed.

In order for LB1 to be at Bugin 37 at Irwindale I will need to make some calls to the organisers and see how this can be done, so in short I cant guarantee the car will be there at the moment but i will update this post once it can be confirmed.

Sorry if this confuse's anyone, just being honest.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
58vw

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 22:01:03 pm »

All

This is the first that Ive heard of this and I'm really glad that Rich and team have managed to reorganise Bugin at Irwindale. Currently the VW Gasser Garage "Oval Lightening Bug" replica is currently on display at the NHRA Wally Parks museum, the plan was to take it out for the Bugin at Fontana for a Head to Head Race with Schley's LB2, however as the racing at Bugin looked like it wasn't going to happen Ive amended my plans and was thinking about going to Classic instead, however this is not confirmed.

In order for LB1 to be at Bugin 37 at Irwindale I will need to make some calls to the organisers and see how this can be done, so in short I cant guarantee the car will be there at the moment but i will update this post once it can be confirmed.

Sorry if this confuse's anyone, just being honest.

no..that was pretty easy to follow....

Russell

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:46:38 am »

You mean the" Windy Dustbowl"??

Fontana? YEP. The only two reasons I ever need go to back to that place... skateboarding (skateparks/pools) and when work dictates. Hopefully, NEVER for another car event. Thank you.

~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:48:22 am »

For me living in Corona now Fontana is a stones throw and I wish the event was still there with Drag day this Sunday ...but life goes on and getting back to Irwindale will be a good long drive I look forward to making Hope they get to have racing.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
deano

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 20:23:22 pm »

Running the famed Bug-In without drag racing, and at a smaller location may not be the best idea for the longevity of the brand. I would rather see it postponed for one season and come back bigger and bolder the following spring. Going to Irwindale and without drag racing will only be a "drag day" light event. And relying on the DKP to host their cruise night at Nick's is not a done-deal. This new idea does not excite me in the least... Sorry.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dan Mazur

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 20:52:55 pm »

Running the famed Bug-In without drag racing, and at a smaller location may not be the best idea for the longevity of the brand. I would rather see it postponed for one season and come back bigger and bolder the following spring. Going to Irwindale and without drag racing will only be a "drag day" light event. And relying on the DKP to host their cruise night at Nick's is not a done-deal. This new idea does not excite me in the least... Sorry.

The car show and swap meet are the remaining two-thirds or the event revenue. People still need to eat and there are vendors who get hurt by the loss of these events.  Even though the racing might be cancelled,  we all need to show our support and hope this is not a permanent end to a large part of our hobby.  My two cents.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 00:38:48 am »

Simple: call it something other than Bug-In...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 00:49:07 am »

I agree, I would rather wait a little over a month for the Classic. The Bug In without Drag Racing is just a car show and a Swap Meet unless by some miracle they can do something no one else can do , get the Drag Strip going...
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:48 am »

OK - you negative Nathans - and you know who you are.

Let's not give up hope about the Drag Racing!  And if it does not happen, then all of us racers still need to support the event and still be apart of it.  As you know, without the promoters, we would not be able to do what we love to do, so now is our chance to rally around and for them, and show them ALL the support we can!  Periscope and Bugorama have been dealt some pretty nasty cards this year so far, so I will do what it takes to support them in any way possible.  They deserve it!   

Susy

PS - I was told by a certain magazine editor that the PowderPuff Class was a waste of the promoters time, and that us ladies don't give back to the industry.  Well I never have and never will give up, and I bet that person is eating his words right now!  Positive thinking works so much better. And again - you know who you are! 

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion
SCOTTP

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 03:11:47 am »

Simple: call it something other than Bug-In...

How about...Bug-Out...??

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

140" 2332cc powered Frameworks Dragster

'63 Notchback in the works
edcraig

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 04:01:11 am »

I agree with Susy and will support the event with or without the drags.  I know everyone, including the promotors would much prefer to have the drags and I'm certain by next year, it won't be a issue.  However, for now, whatever the shape of this years Bug in, I expect it to be a fun day and very much looking forward to it.

...Ed
Greg G

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 04:11:01 am »

I'm just glad there is an event for us to go to. This week end Drag Day would have been cancelled anyway with the rain we have here, I'm looking forward to hanging out with friends.

Greg
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:19 am »

If the track isn't available for racing; how 'bout adding a engine pull contest and/or maybe a car push contest down the track like the ol' Bug In days at OCIR. Ohh and while we're at it, lets bring back the bikini contest with THE VOICE Mr.Dyno Don...OK, NOW I'm IN!!! Grin Cool
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:16:17 am by WCB Cal-look FOCKER » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:22 am »

I agree with Susy ,Ed and Dan....I'm OK with "Not" having the racing if it means "Not" having it at all...I know it sucks but some people "Do" rely on revenue of sorts ..lets not be too greedy..!....lets "not ' count out racing yet...!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 16:28:02 pm »

Thanks everyone who is showing support and backing up the promoters.

I know for a fact that Rich is hoping there still will be a chance for Drag Racing, but if not, he is coming up with other ideas to have that day!

I too will miss the Drag racing if it does not happen, but if it does not happen then I will be able to be apart of the whoile day, instead of sitting in the staging lanes all day, and wishing I could go visit with my VW buddies and just relax and hang out!  The world will not come to an end with out the racing for one time.

Think Postitive!!

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 17:59:50 pm »

Plus I assume the dash plaques and trophies, etc., have already been made and include the date and the Bug-In name.
I too hope there will be drag racing !
See ya there !
Rennsurfer

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 19:06:09 pm »

Thanks everyone who is showing support and backing up the promoters.

I know for a fact that Rich is hoping there still will be a chance for Drag Racing, but if not, he is coming up with other ideas to have that day!

I too will miss the Drag racing if it does not happen, but if it does not happen then I will be able to be apart of the whoile day, instead of sitting in the staging lanes all day, and wishing I could go visit with my VW buddies and just relax and hang out!  The world will not come to an end with out the racing for one time.

Think Postitive!!

Quoting for truth. Well written, my fellow DEEK.

~Sarge
Stephan S

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 19:17:09 pm »

As a club, DKP decided (during the latest club meeting) to support the Bug-In by organizing a “Pre-Bug-In Cruise Night” at Nick’s, whatever the Bug-In's outcome.

And as far as Irwindale, my $.02… Picture yourself in Rich Kimball’s shoes. As a promoter, wouldn't you try to still “save” your event? Why take the risk of waiting another year, knowing that Fontana Speedway will probably never build the wall required by the judge?

I don’t see it being a problem using the name “Bug-In” for the April 29 event. Today’s Bug-Ins have nothing to do with the ’68 to ’83 Bug-Ins anyway. (The European Bug-In is arguably much closer in spirit to these original Bug-Ins). Today’s Bug-Ins run their own course, even though this year might call for no racetrack.

We should still make the effort to support the event, race or not. Clubs should have barbecues or potlucks, and just enjoy the camaraderie. More than ever, the hobby needs our support.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 19:18:54 pm by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: