The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:27:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug-In - Not Quite Dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Bug-In - Not Quite Dead  (Read 22437 times)
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 20:25:52 pm »

when shit like this happens and you have to either let the event die or try and put on a show you can never please all the people.

If you only went for the racing then find another event to watch.

If you liked the static show and meeting your mates and having a laugh then go anyway.

If it is closer or further away than normal, bollocks go anyway.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Russell

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 23:46:08 pm »

As a club, DKP decided (during the latest club meeting) to support the Bug-In by organizing a “Pre-Bug-In Cruise Night” at Nick’s, whatever the Bug-In's outcome.

And as far as Irwindale, my $.02… Picture yourself in Rich Kimball’s shoes. As a promoter, wouldn't you try to still “save” your event? Why take the risk of waiting another year, knowing that Fontana Speedway will probably never build the wall required by the judge?

I don’t see it being a problem using the name “Bug-In” for the April 29 event. Today’s Bug-Ins have nothing to do with the ’68 to ’83 Bug-Ins anyway. (The European Bug-In is arguably much closer in spirit to these original Bug-Ins). Today’s Bug-Ins run their own course, even though this year might call for no racetrack.

We should still make the effort to support the event, race or not. Clubs should have barbecues or potlucks, and just enjoy the camaraderie. More than ever, the hobby needs our support.

Stephan, I agree.

But if your a European or from the Far East, we have to spend a considerable amount of money and time to make it for a 1 day event and whilst we realise the event is not the same as the legendary Bug Ins. It still needs top have the basic ingredients; but its easy if you live an hour away to go and then leave at 12 when you've had enough, however if you've traveled 5000 miles for 6 hours of a show its just not the same.

Would it not be better to try and have a sort of European Bug In Style every 2 years rather than this 1 day event or if its every year make it the week before classic and then you will get people coming for the week and not just a day, i feel the same about a classic, get up at OMG its early and by midday people are leaving, again OK if you live close.

I also fully understand Rich's postion and and i feel for him as he will have laid out money to promote the event etc, however its either a Bug In or its not.

Just my2pence....

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 00:31:13 am »

Susy, Stephan and Russell all bring up great points.

I'm not thrilled about going to Irwindale.

I'm not happy with the possibility of no drag racing

I understand there are substancial costs in coming here for those coming long distances and maybe this is a year where you may want to plan differently. As an OC local, I really enjoy seeing and meeting people from outside the area... and especially outside the US. While I understand your decision, you will be missed. Wink

I don't think that going to an every other year format would have been of much benefit when I consider the obstacles that Rich & crew have this year.

If this was a "planned" change I think I would feel differently about the "Is this a Bug-In or not?" question. This is more Rich trying to make the best of a pretty crappy situation and I think he should be supported.

I'd rather have 60% of a Bug-In than 0% of a Bug-In.

While DKK hasn't really discussed this in depth, I anticipate that we will be there in force just as in years past.
Myself and my wife will be there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 00:36:09 am by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 03:45:30 am »

get up at OMG its early and by midday people are leaving

That's not a Bug-In thing, that's every fucking car show in the country!
I agree that having it every other year (opposite of EBI), would make the event more special. I don't know if having it the weekend before Classic is a good idea...
The only thing I don't like about this years Bug-In (other than waking at 5 ayem), is that I won't be there.

Have fun everyone!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 07:21:07 am »

Thank you to Rich and I believe Ron for giving us somewhere to hangout with all our likeminded friends on April 29th.  If there's racing awesome I will run if not Awesome It will be a great time hanging out with friends enjoying our Hobby!

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Russell

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:12 am »

Rick/Jason

Yes i agree, but just thinking of the bigger picture, I'm sure you know my feelings on Ron Fleming and they are much the same for Rich Kimble, anyone who has given so much to our VW hobby should be supportred whenever possible its just harder 5000 miles away. (for the benefit of any doubt they are both fantastic guys)

Another point to note, whilst the world is financially hurting and when the likes of the tracks are struggling we do need to rally round our local shows, promoters and suppliers as without them, there would be no hobby or scene..... the main difference that this is these guys livelyhood. So if you can go you should go and if you wont go (silly you) and if you cant go (unlucky).

Best Regards

Russell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 13:50:05 pm »

Thank you to Rich and I believe Ron for giving us somewhere to hangout with all our likeminded friends on April 29th.  If there's racing awesome I will run if not Awesome It will be a great time hanging out with friends enjoying our Hobby!

More quoting for more truth.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Donny B.

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 14:14:36 pm »

You might want to check this out...

http://www.facebook.com/events/320081798055949/

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Russell

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 17:50:20 pm »

Had a call from Ron Fleming today and hope to hear some positive news latter this week, fingers crossed

Best Regards

Russell
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 18:47:13 pm »

So if you can go you should go and if you wont go (silly you) and if you cant go (unlucky).

More quoting for more truth.   

Der Kleiner Panzers
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 18:52:31 pm »

Had a call from Ron Fleming today and hope to hear some positive news latter this week, fingers crossed
EvEn MoRe QuOtInG aNd EvEn MoRe TrUtH... Cheesy

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 18:54:45 pm »

TrUE  DaT Yo!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 18:58:31 pm »

STRAIGHT UP!! Ooohhh! I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.....HAHAHAHAHA!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:12:55 am by WCB Cal-look FOCKER » Logged

edcraig

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 20:30:17 pm »

WORD.......

....Ed
Dan Mazur

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 21:17:14 pm »

True dat!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Greg G

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 22:20:11 pm »

this might be good news...

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_20217667/nu-way-industries-back-control-speedway
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:43 am »

This is very good news, maybe we will be racing after all. Will just have to wait and see.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Cornpanzer

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 02:56:03 am »

Excellent news... no more hour plus drive to that horrible place known as Fontana. Now if we can only get O.C.I.R. put back.

Oh, yes..how terrible. A whole HOUR drive. How-do-you-do-it?!?!?  Roll Eyes  It must suck to have to drive an entire hour in order to enjoy one of the largest VW events on earth. And to deal with such terrible conditions as dust and (gasp) wind. Its hardly worth it.
You nancies would never make it in the Midwest.  Cheesy

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 03:06:24 am »

Hell, They hardly make it in so-cal !

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 03:56:15 am »

Excellent news... no more hour plus drive to that horrible place known as Fontana. Now if we can only get O.C.I.R. put back.

Oh, yes..how terrible. A whole HOUR drive. How-do-you-do-it?!?!?  Roll Eyes  It must suck to have to drive an entire hour in order to enjoy one of the largest VW events on earth. And to deal with such terrible conditions as dust and (gasp) wind. Its hardly worth it.

Dave, I was being a trifle sarcastic... but there IS a little truth to that; thirty years ago, the Bug-In and Drag Day events were way closer to me at a much better facility. God, I miss O.C.I.R.

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 06:04:58 am »

Actually, it hasn't been close to being one of the largest VW events.  In decades.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 06:35:56 am »

Actually, it hasn't been close to being one of the largest VW events.  In decades.
Agreed! The Bug-In now days are cool, but not like the old days, and we hardly make it here in SoCal! NOT TRUE!  Angry  Wink

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 13:54:48 pm »

Actually, it hasn't been close to being one of the largest VW events.  In decades.

Very true. The name is probably the most recognized, but there have been other bigger VW gatherings, for sure. I still hear people saying that they attended the old O.C.I.R. events that weren't even into VWs.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing something happen at Irwindale along with some racing.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nu-way-retakes-irwindale-speedway-dragstrip-first-order-of-business/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 14:12:27 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 17:34:36 pm »

Looking at all the strong Cal-look interest in Europe, makes me want to move across the pond. I completely agree that the old Bug In days of OCIR are not comparable to the ones of today IMO.

bugnut68

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 22:07:12 pm »

I can't imagine (I'm an Oregonian, mind you!) events even bigger than the Bug-Ins they've had so far at Fontana... as it is, the two I've been to in 2005 and 2008 I didn't see anywhere near the entire event because of sheer size.  My main interest is in drag racing and new vendor booths/parts, and that's pretty much what I saw.  With 600 odd show cars, I never saw the entire car show on either occasion, so I can only imagine how it must have been during the OCIR days.
Sacramento BOR is about all I can handle anymore, at least in terms of seeing/experiencing the entire event.
larry mck

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2012, 23:39:02 pm »

I heard racing is a go at Bug In!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 02:13:20 am »

I heard racing is a go at Bug In!

You heard correctly.

~Sarge
58vw

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 02:14:38 am »

yes racing at bug in!!awesome....and yes in so cal i think we been a little spoiled...miss OCIR...carlsbad

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2012, 03:57:25 am »

Oh, yes..how terrible. A whole HOUR drive. How-do-you-do-it?!?!?  Roll Eyes  It must suck to have to drive an entire hour in order to enjoy one of the largest VW events on earth. And to deal with such terrible conditions as dust and (gasp) wind. Its hardly worth it.
You nancies would never make it in the Midwest.  Cheesy

I'm CERTAINLY not bitching or thinking I'm somehow high & mighty, but we normally (when we had Bug-Ins) had to drive 4-6 hours to attend events from my locale to Dallas or Houston areas. There were 4 events per year at the peaks (AWESOME!); two in each venue, one in spring and one in summer!
That backed down to 2 events and now ... NONE! Well, outside of the Texas Classic (which is Coming UP!!!  http://www.texasvwclassic.com/ ... See You There! ) and perhaps a few local to location show-n-shines.
What was the reason for the dwindle? PARTICIPATION!
I can remember showing up EARLY and having to wait in line for an hour or longer to get in the gates! ... ah, the good old days!
Towards the end, the show had fallen down to 40-50-60 cars, the swap meet was JUNK-for-sale, and the racing ... well, not much worth watching for the most-part, although I could've supported it more.

The point here is If You Want These Events To Continue, YOU HAVE AND NEED TO SHOW UP AND PARTICIPATE IN ANY AND EVERY CAPACITY POSSIBLE! That means YOU!
I'm not talking about getting in on General Admission, then parking close to the swap meet so you can carry over a few precious pieces and put them in with a friends display, or casually rolling into the show just to display because 'you're not interested in the competition' but still somehow Need To Be Seen, or getting a close spot in the pits so you can set up your grill (sorry, BarBQue is a term only usable to Texans ... sorry) so you can hang with your buddies and have a good time!
Pay to get in, Pay to Enjoy the Festivities, Pay to PARTICIPATE as much as You can, Buy A GD t-shirt, buy a dash plaque, Buy a hamburger, Show your Car if you'd like, THEN pay and take a few passes down the strip so you (and everyone else) can see if it still runs as well as You Say it DID WAY BACK WHEN, or just to enjoy the experience! That includes Club Displays!
Don't ride in like a parrot on the shoulder, EXPERIENCE what's before You and cut that place down with a broad-edged sword!
You're lucky to still have events like this AT ALL in Your area.
They only happen every SO OFTEN! Make a day of it!

Alright, whatever.
 Wink
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
2manytoys

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2012, 04:31:32 am »

Great news that Bug-IN will be able to motor on with the sound of tires boiling in water box and 4th gears screaming though the traps! Rich and Ron...good work. April 29th I think. I will try and get down there with the Not So Ghetto.....

P-

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: