The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:49:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350795 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Webers made in Hong Kong?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Webers made in Hong Kong?  (Read 22500 times)
56BLITZ
DKK

« on: March 08, 2012, 19:16:21 pm »

Okay, so the seller is not passing these off as Webers, but as "new replacement carb/carburetor for bug/beetle/vw/44idf".
I like this part in the description . . .  "please think about carefully before buy ".  Note the sellers name . . . any relation to the Bergs we know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220795329709

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 19:24:47 pm by 56BLITZ » Logged

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
draven898

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 19:35:34 pm »

i seriously doubt it

follow my instagram thecallook
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 19:52:34 pm »

Well they've already sold several of them ... some even to the US.
Maybe the owners lurk here and will chime in as to there impressions?
Sure are inexpensive Wink

TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 20:52:11 pm »

its most likely an china EMPI HPMX without any of the EMPI stamps of quality on it...   Grin

hence could be loosely called a reproduction IDF
kingsburgphil

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:55:17 am »

PRC webers, why not?  They make everything else...or so it seems.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/454647524/IDF_44.html?s=p
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:52:21 am »

48s too!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/125036135/WEBER_48_IDA_CARBURETOR.html

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:23:00 am »

Chebers?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fritter

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 05:32:20 am »

Frickin' China.   Roll Eyes

I am torn with China stuff.  I like Harbor Freight, the cheapness, etc.  But I hate the copying and shitty quality. 

I feel dirty when I buy China stuff, like that feeling you had in college when you got ripped and banged the fat ugly chick.   Grin

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Fritter

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:28 am »

Chebers?

Grin

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:58:39 am »

new replacement carb/carburetor for bug/beetle/vw/44idf

40idf please see the item number 220737426352

No any number  and words printed on carb body,

I think will fit many cars ,but i don`t know the details

but can`t sure fit   your engine 100%, please think about carefully before buy .

ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK ME, I WILL REPLY YOU SOONLY.

I shipping to worldwide ,and the shipping cost will be 35 USD.

WTF, how your english?

Lems Roll Eyes
kingsburgphil

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 06:13:19 am »

Chebers?
Chinker's ?

In their defense.   From airframe components for 737's to 99 cent pliers, everything is made to a customers specs.

That is assuming QC is doing their job and the right palms are greased.

PS. If you have the chance, visit China for a few weeks...more than an eyefull !!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:15:35 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
2manytoys

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 06:18:38 am »

They are selling the knock offs it would appear, and I would take the originals when the option is there...but with over 1000 feedbacks and 100% positive,...hmmm. They are doing something right. I think they may want to consider letting someone help them with the Chinese to English translation. Would be interesting to see if anyone here has dealt with them personally.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:09:52 am »

Chebers?

HaHa!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:55:48 am »

i seriously doubt it
Of course! I was absolutely joking about the eBay seller having any relation to the Bergs. As soon as I saw that username I was cracking up laughing!

In their defense . . . everything is made to a customers specs.
I think you’re right. China must have the capability to produce world-class products . . . at least the equipment to do so. As for quality, R&D and creating new, original designs. . . well . . . I guess China keeps busy just scratching the itch . . . they have plenty of customers willing to buy imitation.

I was just caught a little off guard when I saw these. I think one of the worst part of something like this ( or wheels, or restoration parts, or 90.5mm P/L, or . . . ) is when cheap junk floods the market and reduces the demand and incentive for other companies to produce nice parts.

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
65bug

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 16:26:59 pm »

Then don't buy china crap! My motor I think has all American and or German parts in it! That's it. I would not trust their GARBAGE ENGINEERING AND FORGING for anything in my 8000.00 plus motor.
A prime example is scats "lube a lobe" lifters and many of their other JUNK parts sold to the masses.
     The Made in America stuff will cost you big time up front, but save you big time in back by not failing and taking out your entire motor...... Wink
bugnut68

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 18:51:31 pm »

A lot of the parts out there are made in China with the finish machine work done here in the U.S.
65bug

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 21:10:05 pm »

so that makes the forging, strength and materials good then huh.........
bugnut68

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 23:00:51 pm »

so that makes the forging, strength and materials good then huh.........

Compared to what/whom?  I'm not saying I like it, only stating the facts... Grin  Ask the guys at any of the major performance parts manufacturers where they're getting their parts, I'm sure they could likely detail the specifics.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 23:23:18 pm »

My Take on Chinese parts.  

Six years ago I bought a brand new Honda CRF 50 F.  I modified it with an American made 88cc top end, clutch, Sano billet swingarm & BBR billet front end.  At the same time, my friend who wanted to save money, bought a Chinese knock off pit bike that looked like my bike.  Upon assembly out of its crate,  you could see lots of quality compromises.  After one hour,  the transmission fell apart.

These days many parts imported from China have been refined by American R&D.  So the quality is better.  All that aside,  the Chinese government is mandating the people to work as slaves for minimal pay and there are no regulations or standards of pollution control.  Not to mention the news reports of the Chinese Government's involvement in cyber-hacking our technology.

I remember the comparison of VW German parts with Brazilian and Mexican made parts in the 80's.  Ironically, I'm building my engine with Brazilian and Mexican parts to avoid using any Chinese parts.

The American manufacturers will exploit any foreign country for manufacturing just to stay in business.  It won't be long when the Chinese manufacturing companies will recognize their quality, raise their price and the American companies find another country to exploit.  During all of this,  American citizens continue to be unemployed....outsourcing really blows....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 23:25:11 pm by DKK Larrys Pizza » Logged

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
65bug

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:54 am »

Hi Larry,
     You know what, I don't know you. But I will add my two cents to what you just said: You left one thing out of your reply. Maybe American companies HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE OF STRICT EPA CRAP AND BULLSHIT REGULATIONS IMPOSED ON THEM IN THIS COUNTRY.
      And what do I mean by that?Huh Bullshit global warming laws, purchasing carbon credits, and the list of crap goes on!!!! They  DO NOT DO THAT IN CHINA! And you know that. Then we have the Communist Government over there that makes the people work and live at the factories for 10.00 a MONTH!!!!
     I honestly feel that American companies WANT TO MANUFACTURE THEIR PRODUCTS HERE. WITH EMPLOYEES WHO CARE AND DO A SUPERB JOB. BUT HOW CAN THEY WHEN WE HAVE A NITWIT PRESIDENT AND THE EPA THINKS THEY ARE GOD.
     And on "ALL CHINA PARTS", Check out Pauter, Berg, Bugpack. They do have American quality parts! And you can still get German parts too. ANY LITTLE CHINESE PART I HAVE PUT ON MY MOTOR HAS FAILED...MISERABLY!!!!
     My 2165 is all German and American parts. And it runs great! Wink If you ask for a demand USA parts, they will start producing them. YOU CANNOT, I REPEAT CANNOT, TAKE A GARBAGE PART AND MAKE IT BETTER BY MACHINING IT OVER HERE! I DO NOT CARE HOW GOOD YOU ARE. A GARBAGE PART IS A GARBAGE PART.....................lol

bugnut68

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:05 am »

FWIW, my 2017 in the works has a DPR welded German stroker crank... I'll gladly support businesses like Jose at DPR, not only for the quality product by the customer service, as well.  I'm hard pressed to think of any Chinese parts in/on my engine at the moment; maybe the 36 horse shroud from Scat, but I'm not sure they're made overseas.  Rods are stock German VW 311 rods, stroker clearanced, lifters are German, cam is Engle... at most, maybe some of the case hardware or tin hardware is offshore, but thats' about it Grin
A-C

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 02:55:45 am »

China Idf:s

http://www.aircooled.fi/data/i/idf_10.jpg

http://www.aircooled.fi/data/dth/id/idf_2_fsak49n2eu.jpg_860x860.jpg

http://www.aircooled.fi/data/dth/id/idf_3_6acev-5ns1.jpg_860x860.jpg
65bug

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 03:19:30 am »

Jose is a great guy and does nice work! That's a great crank and will last if you take care of it! The more American German parts the better in my opinion. I would not even consider purchasing fake chine webers. No thanks! Dont need the heachache's
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 06:40:11 am »

Italians or Spainish ones for me!  Cool

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 07:30:47 am »

Hi Larry,
     You know what, I don't know you. But I will add my two cents to what you just said: You left one thing out of your reply. Maybe American companies HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE OF STRICT EPA CRAP AND BULLSHIT REGULATIONS IMPOSED ON THEM IN THIS COUNTRY.
      And what do I mean by that?Huh Bullshit global warming laws, purchasing carbon credits, and the list of crap goes on!!!! They  DO NOT DO THAT IN CHINA! And you know that. Then we have the Communist Government over there that makes the people work and live at the factories for 10.00 a MONTH!!!!
     I honestly feel that American companies WANT TO MANUFACTURE THEIR PRODUCTS HERE. WITH EMPLOYEES WHO CARE AND DO A SUPERB JOB. BUT HOW CAN THEY WHEN WE HAVE A NITWIT PRESIDENT AND THE EPA THINKS THEY ARE GOD.
     And on "ALL CHINA PARTS", Check out Pauter, Berg, Bugpack. They do have American quality parts! And you can still get German parts too. ANY LITTLE CHINESE PART I HAVE PUT ON MY MOTOR HAS FAILED...MISERABLY!!!!
     My 2165 is all German and American parts. And it runs great! Wink If you ask for a demand USA parts, they will start producing them. YOU CANNOT, I REPEAT CANNOT, TAKE A GARBAGE PART AND MAKE IT BETTER BY MACHINING IT OVER HERE! I DO NOT CARE HOW GOOD YOU ARE. A GARBAGE PART IS A GARBAGE PART.....................lol

Yeah, cuz you know the Dems are the ones that outsource to China! Right! Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
youngnstudly

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:45 am »

Ted

Are we still talking about Webers? Italian chicks are hot, but some are crazy!  Wink  I guess my Italian Webers are pretty good too, though not as good as an Italian woman.

I really wish China would quit copying and producing lesser quality items, and instead come up with some new and innovative items....As long as "we" (American's) are going to depend on them to build everything for us anyways. Of course I dream of the same thing most other (conscious and partially educated) American's dream of...An America that has potential to support itself using it's own resources and all this damn fancy education we apparently have. All these "Alumni of insert school name here" bumper stickers and license plate frames and our country is still going down hill. So much for education! Roll Eyes Just my opinion here....Not that anyone asked.

-Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Dan Mazur

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 08:35:29 am »

Ted

Are we still talking about Webers? Italian chicks are hot, but some are crazy!  Wink  I guess my Italian Webers are pretty good too, though not as good as an Italian woman.

Have you seen the new Fiat Abarth commercial???

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Hecker

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 08:41:22 am »

My nephew was in China 5 years ago, he and a couple friends bought 10 ROLEX watches
for less than 35 BUCKS (total) $3.50 each, the one he bought is still working, although you
have to wind it every hour or so !! Just cuz it's from CHINA and it looks like a WEBER doesn't
mean it will run like a WEBER. I remember a great philosopher ( GENE BERG ) once said
"BUY the BEST and CRY ONCE !!! "   Another person I know says  the price of HAY is  based          
 on the stage of DIGESTION !     Wink
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:48 am »

Its a huge problem that effects every place where people have the ingenuity and technical knowhow to put together something great. Its happened here in the UK too, we're just lucky that so far the European parts made by folks like JPM and others (having seen some of the parts no doubt some of the highest quality and innovative parts in the world for our cars) are still 'under the radar'.

I think its perhaps wrong to assume all parts made in China are junk, all parts from ANYWHERE should be evaluated on their own merits. I've seen junk from British companies, along with some amazing parts (take a look at some of the stuff Martin Taylor has produced, to say nothing of the huge base of F1 manufacturers), and no doubt there are the same issues in America and the world over.

I think as a community the best we can do is to highlight parts that are failing, or misrepresented (was it Scat selling parts as Made in America which were made in China?).

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 13:35:11 pm »

I try not to buy from china if I can. Hell, even my chinese takeaways are made in England  Grin

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: