The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 23:33:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Looking for pic of Aronsons bug with bike mounted.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Looking for pic of Aronsons bug with bike mounted.  (Read 11720 times)
Critter1

« on: March 09, 2012, 18:22:31 pm »

Looking for that picture with the bike mounted on the back of the Aronson white bug, and if there are any details as to how it was set up (the bike mount). I searched for it on here for a while.. I know it's here, just couldn't find it.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:28:51 am »

Mmmm... Good thinkin. I've been wondering how to take my bike with me...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Hecker

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:44:57 am »

I used to have a loop type that mounted on the bumper of my 67
I used it for two years or so in my BMX days before my wife bought
me a new car. Then I got a full YAKIMA unit.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 20:40:55 pm »

i think the pictures came from Keith S. he posted them in the cool prcs tread some years ago. cool to have a bike rack on the car. i always liked that as well.

gibber!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:42:41 am »

Looking for that picture with the bike mounted on the back of the Aronson white bug, and if there are any details as to how it was set up (the bike mount). I searched for it on here for a while.. I know it's here, just couldn't find it.
I'd ask sarge, I'm sure he'll know...!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:42 am »

A bike rack on a Cal Looker Shocked I thought I'd miss-typed and gone to restowagen.co.uk  Grin

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 22:18:57 pm »

I think Jim Holmes had a Yakima universal bike rack on the rear of the white car.  I had the same set-up for our current '67 but didn't like bikes swinging around when braking or accelerating.  When we owned the '69, I got a roof mount Yakima; much better (tested at 100+mph with two bikes Shocked) !!  I've saved it in the rafters all these years and pulled it down this afternoon to see if it might fit the '67... it does!  The tandem's a whole 'nother story Cheesy

DKP III
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 23:15:14 pm »

Bad ass pics bro...don't scratch the drip rails.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
John Palmer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 23:47:07 pm »

Sarge, Yakima does (at least did) make a tandem mount for your rack.  It used the normal front fork mount and then had a craddle that the back bottom bracket sat on.  I still have a nice original "double mens" Schwinn Paramount tandem that I bought new in 1971.
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 23:59:55 pm »

Sarge, Yakima does (at least did) make a tandem mount for your rack.  It used the normal front fork mount and then had a craddle that the back bottom bracket sat on.  I still have a nice original "double mens" Schwinn Paramount tandem that I bought new in 1971.

Shocked Shocked I'd be scared $hitless with the tandem up there... best ridden from home! Wink  Mike Lawless and I were discussing the need for a VW guys bike ride some day... whata ya think??

DKP III
John Palmer

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 00:04:21 am »

Back in the day (1960's to 70's) many different companies offered universal "bumper mount" bicycle racks.  They were for the most part pretty cheesy on quality.  Most of the "hoop style" had some sort of short stubs that mounted "semi permanently" to the bumper.  The quick release metal hoop then slid over these studs and held up the bicycle by the top of the frame.  A nylon support strap had a vinyl coated bracket that fit inside the cooling vent and kept the bicycle and rack from moving front to back.  They scratched the paint on the car and on the bicycle about equally.

The Yakima, Thule roof mount racks like pictured on Sarge's car, had much nicer quality and function but they did not show up well into the 1980's.  
John Palmer

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 00:15:47 am »

Shocked Shocked I'd be scared $hitless with the tandem up there... best ridden from home! Wink  Mike Lawless and I were discussing the need for a VW guys bike ride some day... whata ya think??

I aired up the tires on my original 1950's Schwinn Black Phantom a few weeks ago and rode it around the block.  "Man, am I out of shape". 

A VW old guys bicycle ride sounds like fun.  But we will need to write up some rules first.  #1 NO BIG CHAIN RINGS, #2 NO RIDES IN THE WHITTIER HILLS, #3 NO HEAD WIND RIDES, I'm sure you can think of others.  LOL, the flat Santa Ana river trail is about my degree of difficulty.  I'd bet we could talk Weiss into it. 
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:40 am »

Mike Lawless and I were discussing the need for a VW guys bike ride some day... whata ya think??

DKK is already on this... several of us do the monthly Cyclone Coasters ride around Long Beach http://www.cyclonecoaster.com/

Though, judging from your choice of two wheeled conveyance, it may be too leisurely paced for you Sarge  Wink

However, John and his Phantom would fit right in!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:09:04 am by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:54:56 am »

I am interested in a quality rear mount rack. Tim Tesnow fabbed up a nice unit for his '66, I'll ask him about it when I see him at Phoenix BOR in a couple weeks.

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:34 am »

I am in on the ride...been on your trainer lately Sarge. be back on the streets in about a week n a half hopefully.   If you want to go for a flat spin on the SA river trail John, I would be happy to go. I am sure Sarge can put it in the little ring so he won't beat us up too bad.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
John Palmer

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:10:48 am »

I am interested in a quality rear mount rack. Tim Tesnow fabbed up a nice unit for his '66, I'll ask him about it when I see him at Phoenix BOR in a couple weeks.

Zack, re-using some of today's modern rack materials, a little chromoly tubing, and some powdercoating, you could make a very nice rack.  I would think of something based on permanent supports that looked like T-Bars with the rack off the car.  The quick release chromoly hoop would be held on with some T-handle push button pins.  Look into the Yakima tire tracks to support the wheels.

The hard part is making a rack that will work with different sizes and kinds of bicycles, BMX, Cruisers, Mountain bikes with suspension etc.  I'm currently building a rack to fit my vintage cruiser bicycles on my vintage trailer and it will be based on a 2" receiver hitch.  But this would be hard to do and look ugly on a Bug
nicolas

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 20:25:04 pm »

if you keep talking about racks, i think there should be pictures of them posted as well. right?!
deano

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 17:44:51 pm »

It was Jim Holmes that had the rear bike rack on this car. It clamped on to the T-bars, and the main structure was more of a U-shape affair, running up and over to the other bracket. One time he had both his bike and Diana's and for some reason, her bike came away from the rack and swung down to the pavement, dragging along without Jim's knowledge. Before someone called him over, the damage was done, as the handlebars were ground down....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dan Mazur

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 17:52:20 pm »

Mike Lawless and I were discussing the need for a VW guys bike ride some day... whata ya think??

I pulled my Schwinn hybrid from the rafters and had it tuned up!  I'm ready to roll!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 17:59:28 pm »

as the handlebars were ground down....

Bah, who needs handlebars ...

Similarly, my bike came off the rack one time and was hanging by the rear shift cable. I was both dumb and lucky that day!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 18:23:57 pm »

Found this on The Samba

deano

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 19:29:42 pm »

Yep, that's it. What happen was the entire rack came away from the decklid strap and then pivoted downward towards the ground. The first thing to hit and drag on the ground were the handlebars. That is a Jere Alhadeff photo taken during the Feb '75 photo session.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 21:28:03 pm »

Shocked Shocked What's up with them raked handlebars Huh Roll Eyes Grin  That Yakima rack I mentioned earlier looked exactly like the above pic.  Back in the '90's, I drove the '67 to rides in OC a lot.  I'd take out the passenger seat and pull the front wheel off the bike then place the fork in an old plastic drink pitcher so it wouldn't put a hole in the back seat... who needs a rack!! Cool

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 21:39:42 pm »

Clearly Sarge know how to roll!  Wink

Dan Mazur

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 21:42:25 pm »

Sarge, Please put a ride together....uhmmm, like Bill said....please keep it flat.....I haven't ridden my bike in years and I've got a crotch to break-in.... Grin

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 01:39:39 am »

I was going to ask what kind of cycling you guys did back then but that answers my question.

I like that rack a lot!

John Palmer

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:36 am »

Found this on The Samba

I'm loving it!  Check out the exhaust blowing right on that rear tire!  How about those "wing nut" quick release hubs?  The Bugle Horn just has to go!  Looks like a 21" frame Peugeot U08, but it has Huret derailers, not the correct plastic Simplex changers.  The bike rack is a "run of the mill" stamped steel hoop rack, most likely made by JCI in Azusa, CA.  Lots of different companies made racks like this during the day.  The design concept is sound, but needs to be built with better materials and hardware available today.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 05:35:16 am »

Found this on The Samba

I'm loving it!  Check out the exhaust blowing right on that rear tire!  How about those "wing nut" quick release hubs?  The Bugle Horn just has to go!  Looks like a 21" frame Peugeot U08, but it has Huret derailers, not the correct plastic Simplex changers.  The bike rack is a "run of the mill" stamped steel hoop rack, most likely made by JCI in Azusa, CA.  Lots of different companies made racks like this during the day.  The design concept is sound, but needs to be built with better materials and hardware available today.

My friend had a PX10E back in the 70's that looked a lot like this one.  Huge difference, you called it, John.  Cheap components.   

2manytoys

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 15:22:33 pm »

Sarge, you need a squareback for that tandum.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Sarge

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 15:54:33 pm »

Sarge, you need a squareback for that tandum.

I actually managed to shoehorn that thing into the trunk (rear seat back rests fold forward) of our '99 Passat the other day.... I'm good!! Grin

DKP III
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: