The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 07:48:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351099 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Titanium Valve - roller tip rocker - Manton HD thick wall cro-moly..........
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Titanium Valve - roller tip rocker - Manton HD thick wall cro-moly..........  (Read 2251 times)
Shane Noone

« on: March 10, 2012, 20:45:34 pm »

Hey Guys,

After your thoughts and advice please. Today took a look at my valve lash clearances ( checked stone cold ) and found that all my Titanium inlet valve clearances were tight enough so that I could not either turn the pushrod with my fingers or roll the roller tip !!  Is this too tight with the combo of Ti valve / Pauter roller tips / Manton HD cro-mo pushrods Huh?  ( I don't have feeler gauges that go down past 4/ 6 thou but will try and get some below 4 if needed ? ) 

I backed all the inlets off so that I could rotate the pushrods albeit tightly just as a pre-caution as the car does get street driven so varying heat ranges / engine speeds on the motor. But is this a good idea Huh

Cheers, Shane.
richie

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 20:59:15 pm »

Shane,

you are only losing lift,its worse if they are to tight,its possible to burn a valve if its held open,on the street a little extra lash wont hurt,you can always check them at the track,and tighten them up a little if needed,you proberly have about 0.025 - 0.030 thou lash when it is really warmed up,i prefer to set them by feel,you wont get it right with feeler guages when you are looking for only 1-2 thou

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Shane Noone

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 21:07:58 pm »

Richie, yeah that's what I figured and I realise trying to use feelers at such small clearance will be a nightmare anyway.

When you say by feel, that is what I meant by setting the lash almost to zero cold but I figured you should still be able to rotate the pushrod with your fingers. Before I backed them off, I couldn't do this or roll the tip, so figured the valves could be held open slightly all the time and I wouldn't really know ?

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Shane.
richie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 21:22:14 pm »

the valves have proberly settled into the seats a little tightening them up,it really is a knack getting them tight,but still being able to spin the pushrod,better loose though,practice will help Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: