The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 05:42:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  High Energy Coils
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: High Energy Coils  (Read 3008 times)
Shane Noone

« on: March 10, 2012, 21:03:26 pm »

Hey Guys,

I run a Pertronix Billet Dizzy and I know this would normally be hooked up to one of their Ignitor coils but in my case for now I am using a Bosch Blue as I had it lying around after the second hand Ignitor Coil I had failed on me ( the case got so hot you couldn't really tough it and it boiled and the inner liquid was coming out !! ) God knows why but some people suggested it may be due to the fact I had it mounted horizontal on the firewall and not vertical or at 45 degrees Huh?  The Bosch Blue is horizontal and no issues whatsoever.

I am wondering though, should I buy another Ignitor or similar to get a fatter spark at the plug and hopefully more efficient burn / more power potential Huh

Is the Bosch Blue selling the Petronix dizzy short in terms of performance ?

What do you think ?

Cheers

Shane.
SuperTrigger

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:04:33 am »

Hi,

I have had both Bosch Blue and Petronix Flamethrower 1 and I managed to destroy both of them + seemed that at higher rpm they could not give enough spark.
Then I bought Pertronix Flamethrower HV and all problems solved. Smiley Price is bit higher but i think it's worth it... Smiley

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/60000_volt.aspx

-Puide-

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12:13 am »

What is your engine? 
A stock 1600 has much different coil/spark requirements than a 2332cc turbo engine at 25psi of boost.
Roland.E

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:57 am »

Maybe i have been very lucky with what my engine needs in terms of spark power, I have been using the Bosch blue coil together with an MSD 6AL in my turbo engine.
Boost pressures up to 30psi (2bar) have been tried and the spark plug gap has been around 0.7-0.9mm. The shift rpm is 7500-7800.

I then changed to a bling bling MSD super ultra must have coil hoping for some improvement..because this wasn´t was the blue coil was built for....  What happend?  I could not feel any difference at all! not better not worse!  About 100$ in the drain.....but it looks very Racy!
Shane Noone

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 11:56:04 am »

Maybe i have been very lucky with what my engine needs in terms of spark power, I have been using the Bosch blue coil together with an MSD 6AL in my turbo engine.
Boost pressures up to 30psi (2bar) have been tried and the spark plug gap has been around 0.7-0.9mm. The shift rpm is 7500-7800.

I then changed to a bling bling MSD super ultra must have coil hoping for some improvement..because this wasn´t was the blue coil was built for....  What happend?  I could not feel any difference at all! not better not worse!  About 100$ in the drain.....but it looks very Racy!

Hi Roland, this is exactly my point !! Is there any real difference in terms of performance  / efficiency Huh   I know if you read all the blurb, the manufacturers will have you believe you must have this coil or that coil or this digital ignition or that one.........................but do you really in the real world away from the lab ??

My motor is 2332cc,on IDA's with 11:1 CR and is street legal and street driven from town to town etc.
PPRMicke

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 16:07:25 pm »

Hi my turbo engine, I use msd al6 with ignition coil Blaster ss
/// Micke
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: