The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:41:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  For those who love California black plates...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: For those who love California black plates...  (Read 9223 times)
Donny B.

« on: March 27, 2012, 21:59:56 pm »

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/03/26/california-considers-the-return-of-black-license-plates/#.T3G_82xZIHU.mailto

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Troy Palmer

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

Great- spent 2 hours at DMV today getting my 1965 register to my new (old from plate dealer) black plates.  I blame this on Jerry Brown- he proudly has is MUG displayed in all state offices.  He's trying to over come the states troubles with DMV/HWY TAX/AQMD.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:08:27 am »

Meh... so what? They'll never duplicate the '63 stamp in the upper/right corner and the CALIFORNIA stamp on the top. So those of us with real '60s plates need not worry.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Chris W

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 16:20:40 pm »

Oregon just did this with our blue and yellow Pacific Wonderland plates. They sold through them super quick.
Gary Justus

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 22:29:24 pm »

I think it's a good idea for the "car folks". There are some of us who still have the original plates, but for those who like the look: Great! I really don't see any downside or "Meh" comments. Let'r'rip.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:53 am »

WOW, The number 63 on a plate that ya cant see when the tags are on it. REALLY is this cool?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Gary Justus

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 15:21:33 pm »

^^^^Stop whining, Danny or you'll start to sound like a sniveler Wink Cheesy
Fritter

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 20:30:13 pm »

You CA guys are lucky.  In IL, we need to buy antique car license plates, which have cheaper fees but are "limited use" (yuk yuk, yea right), only for driving to car shows and servicing.  Sticker goes on this plate.

Then, once you have those, you can find YOM plates and run those on the car, as long as you keep the antique plate with the sticker in the car. 

I've been pulled over for this a few times, the cops don't know the law (or in one case for me, refused to be educated).  Had to go to court and I got out of the ticket as soon as I showed the judge the law. 

Illinois....the most politically corrupt state in the country!   Roll Eyes

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Dan Mazur

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 21:55:56 pm »

It looks like the State is trying to "move in" on the revenues enjoyed by the license plate restorers and swap meet vendors.  All of this legislation to produce a bill that could become a law.  Tax payer's money wasted and only to discover the enthusiasts are a minuscule portion of the total population of registered vehicles.

Leave it alone and let the swap meet shoppers continue to discover the treasure is still for sale out there.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 22:57:56 pm »

Sounds like a good idea to me ... certainly easier to maintain records and quality?
It is just a license plate, right Huh
On a side note, the thing I miss the most is the inspection stickers they use to use that were in the shape of the state!

In TEXAS you have multiple choices ...
You can get Antique, which have the same limited use driving as Mr. Fritz stated for IL, but I think you only have to inspect every 5 years.
Next is Classic, for which you supply your own year of production plates ... number must be unique and plates in 'new' condition; inspect every year. Plate number is on the registration sticker that goes on the windshield, which is standard fair for all.
Regular plates ... obvious ... but quite the bummer to me since they've now gone to the overcrowded 7 digit system (all the extra people crowding in from everywhere else, I guess!).
Personal ... a rediculous number of unique designs, color choices, and classifications depending on your taste. The strange thing is you must buy them through an outside vendor they've chosen and when you get them, they're PLASTIC! One other thing, for 1 year it's $200 over the regular fee ... the more years you 'buy' the cheaper it gets, but 10 years is still $600 extra which is a hard shot to swallow in one payment.
The Personal plates are transferable to other vehicles so it's not like you're tied down to one specific car, unless your message is ...  Tongue

I've used all at one time or another, except for the Antique ... don't tie me down Wink

TxT
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 22:59:50 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:11 am »

You CA guys are lucky.  In IL, we need to buy antique car license plates, which have cheaper fees but are "limited use" (yuk yuk, yea right), only for driving to car shows and servicing.  Sticker goes on this plate.

Then, once you have those, you can find YOM plates and run those on the car, as long as you keep the antique plate with the sticker in the car. 

I've been pulled over for this a few times, the cops don't know the law (or in one case for me, refused to be educated).  Had to go to court and I got out of the ticket as soon as I showed the judge the law. 

Good job on the ticket! You're right... most cops don't know the law(s). If you realize that, you've got a great chance of getting tickets dismissed in court, because after doing your homework, it usually pays off. Judges know the laws far better and are willing to work with those that take time to educate themselves.

~Sarge
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:39:32 am »

Not sure what the big deal is for the new black plates.  They'll still have a row of at least 7 digits on them because there are sooooo many registered vehicles there.  It will still be cool to have the old plate with a combination of only 3 letters and 3 numbers.

The combo of a series of letters and numbers isn't very "cool"; "2Q45H96" is nothing special compared to something old like "854 BMT"    Cool

Similar to other states, we have to use antique or "hobbyst" plates that are a one-time fee (typically $75).  We don't have annual registration costs and there are no stickers on them.  The only restriction is that you're limited to 11 months of the year, which they have no way of knowing which month you don't drive the car.  But no one drives their classic or collectable car in February around here anyway.   Cheesy

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
65bug

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:16:51 am »

For someone who's buying repop carbs what difference would repop plates make..............I place my bet on the car running better with the repop plates Cheesy

Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 04:30:04 am »

Not sure what the big deal is for the new black plates.  They'll still have a row of at least 7 digits on them because there are sooooo many registered vehicles there.  It will still be cool to have the old plate with a combination of only 3 letters and 3 numbers.

The combo of a series of letters and numbers isn't very "cool"; "2Q45H96" is nothing special compared to something old like "854 BMT"    Cool

The combo that you think is special is great... if you have a car built after 1970 and you're registering it in California. '63-'69 cars, here, get to run their original plate formats which are just the opposite. VEE 067 for example. The plate you're describing is a blue background with yellow characters.

For someone who's buying repop carbs what difference would repop plates make..............I place my bet on the car running better with the repop plates Cheesy

Oh goody, another one of your posts where you have done zero research to back up your claim(s). HAHA!! I enjoy letting you down when I say that I don't need reproduction plates. Already have the real thing. Thanks for playing... please drive through.

Grin

~Sarge
65bug

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 21:10:39 pm »

LOL! Let us know how those "CHEBERS" perform for ya  Wink Cheesy
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:32 am »

Here ya go...!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/29/back-in-black-california-mulling-return-of-vintage-style-plates/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D148025

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Rennsurfer

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 14:33:51 pm »

Thanks for posting that, Randy. That article explains everything quite nicely and to the point.

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:21 am »

Thanks for posting that, Randy. That article explains everything quite nicely and to the point.
Hey... at least you know you have "The Real Deal" Mark....! ...Enjoy them !.... Cool

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 14:02:06 pm »

Hey... at least you know you have "The Real Deal" Mark....! ...Enjoy them !.... Cool

Thanks, Randy... I enjoyed 'em all day, yesterday.

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 18:45:27 pm »

Thanks, Randy... I enjoyed 'em all day, yesterday.

I didn't notice your temporary pink permit displayed yesterday.

Please don't forget to use it until your registration card and tags arrive.

Just looking out for you.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
65bug

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 21:20:29 pm »

Some additional info for out of California guys:
       In California, a front license plate is a requirement. If not, "The Man" can pull you over if he so chooses! This will result in a fix-it ticket. The original black plates(such as mine) have the date stamped into the plate in the upper right corner.
      This can be seen, as tags are not required on front license plates(for obvious reasons) here in this state. For the rears however, you will not see the stamped date as tags are placed over the stamp. California will do anything it can to drum up money, with it's current shortage of 200 million per day.
       I could care less about the plates to be honest, I'm just trying to find one of those LED license plate frames that flashes different colors around the plate....... Wink
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 00:33:36 am »

AWESOME!
When you find the frame, let me know ... I want one too! Wink

TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 01:09:57 am »

I didn't notice your temporary pink permit displayed yesterday.

Please don't forget to use it until your registration card and tags arrive.

Just looking out for you.

No worries, Dan, and thanks. I had it in the glove box. The paperwork will be here any day, I'm told, per my friend's girlfriend that works at the D.M.V. where I got my plates inspected.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: