The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 05:40:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Deepsump or not on a engine without cooling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Deepsump or not on a engine without cooling  (Read 2832 times)
T.H

« on: March 28, 2012, 08:13:06 am »

Is there any drawback with a deepsump on a engine that runs 402m at the time. I think it might be hard to get the oil warm.

Any experience on this?

Cheers

Tommy
richie

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:39:01 am »

If you are racing them you proberly need the extra oil capacity to save running the sump dry,so yes use a deep sump,you can always get a plug in oil heater if you have a problem getting enough heat in the oil,we just run & warm the car in the pits about 1/2 hour before running,the oil stays warm enough then

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
T.H

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:43 am »

If you are racing them you proberly need the extra oil capacity to save running the sump dry,so yes use a deep sump,you can always get a plug in oil heater if you have a problem getting enough heat in the oil,we just run & warm the car in the pits about 1/2 hour before running,the oil stays warm enough then

cheers richie

Thanks Smiley
Frallan

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 19:15:35 pm »

Make sure you have good lubrication to your engine.
It is just as you say also warming it up well before any run.
Never run it cold. Get a gauge so you can see a good 70-80C .

Now in my theory, I say thery because I have no proof more than observations, one of the most common issues with our dear aircooled engines is oil pressure quality.
Not what we see on the gauge or just think we have, as we do not see the red lamp blinking.

But rather good even pressure, no hidden drops that are there in most cases without us knowing, no foam and the above mentioned temperature.

Hidden loss of oil pressure is probably a very common reason (plus valve float in the topic of hidden reason) for damages and breakdown. We just do not realize it until it is too late.
Get a deep sump, do not fall for the idea of keeping the level very low but rather on the normal side.

Have fun!
Edited for spelling and some words added for better clarity

Anyone agrees?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 00:43:57 am by Frallan » Logged

Frallan

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 19:21:07 pm »

http://ultimateaircooled.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php/topic,13256.0.html

Just saw this.  Kind of is a decription of what I just wrote, plus probably some other issue on top of it making it worse.

T.H

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 21:24:22 pm »

Make sure you have good lubrication to your engine.
It is just as you say also warming it up well before any run.
Never run it cold. Get a gauge so you can see a good 70-80C .

Now in my theory, I say thery because I have no proof more than oservations, one of the most common issues with our dear aircoled engines is oil pressure quality.
Not what we see on the gauge or just think we have as we do not see the red lamp.

But rather good even pressure, no foam and the above mentioned temperature.

Hidden loss of oil pressure is probably a very common reason (plus valve float in the topic of hidden reason) for damages and breakdown. we just do not realize it until it is too late.
Get a deep sump, do not fall for the idea of keeping in very low but rather on the normal side.

Have fun!

Anyone agrees?
Thank you. I just keep my sump on the engine then. I just ordered a defa warmer for the oil so i can get some heat in the oil before i race. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: