The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 00:35:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  inspecting a crankcase
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: inspecting a crankcase  (Read 3251 times)
Fast Eddie

« on: April 08, 2012, 23:15:00 pm »

i have a stripped out type 4 engine case which i dont know any history of.  what are there, if any, specific areas that need checking for problems, so i know if the case is scrap or worth keeping. thanks. Smiley
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:00 am »

Check for barnacles on your boat anchor  Grin

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Airspeed

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:35 am »

Check for barnacles on your boat anchor  Grin

Nah, those are only to be found on watercooled engines  Grin

More seriously: besides general inspection valid for every part/case, check the thread which hold the oil pick-up fixation. Those get overtorqued sometimes and the stud location then cracks.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Eddie DVK

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:29 am »

Maybe look for this.

Regards Edgar

Hy guys, I started on building my engine but got in to a little bit of trouble.
When I dropped the crank in the case, I coudn t align it correct, it jammed a little bit.
Turned out it jams on #2 bearings (the half ones that are in the cases), when I clossed the
case I couldn t turn the crank. (the dowel pins were placed correctly).
When I left the #2 bearings out the crank turns freely in it s bearings.

Did some measurement turns out the bearing saddles aren t aligned properly.
Seems one got a little bit inwards.
The saddles(inside) are smaller then the outside of the #2 bearings.

When I closed the Case(torqued with case studs) with out the bearings, it seems that the case stays open
on the #2 saddles.

The sad part is I brought this case, crank and rods to a respectable typ 4 business in germany to check all of
this so that they could supply me with the correct bearings. So I am a little bit pissed by this.

Did a lot of work on this case, like polishing on the inside for better airflow and some adjustments to make the CSP typ1 kit to fit
and to let the case to look more like a typ 1 case.

As you can see on the pictures there is a big gap on the left side, this is the side where also the saddles of cam bearings are.

The pictures were taken with case closed and torqued.

Does somebody know if this can be fixed, or should I throw this away and get a new case.
Help much appreciated.

Kind regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Fast Eddie

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 21:40:27 pm »

Thanks for all the replies guys. i not only had to use these checks on my spare case, but unfortunately on my recently rebuilt motor too.
Sad

basically i had frothy oil for some reason, did a few hundred miles on the rebuild and in that time the oil light flickered on for about 5 seconds maximum. it didnt happen again, so continued to use it for a couple of days, but thought i better strip and check just incase there was a problem...

Soooo, case split i found bearings and crank marked, enough to need a regrind!  Cry such a big big shame as i had a std 2 litre crank with NOS vw bearings.. now i am having to use .25 mahle ones, which are no way near as good and belive it or not, i had to elongate an oil hole in one of the main bearings as it didnt line up properly...

anyway, to the cause of my problem...

I couldnt see anything wrong. anywhere.

Spoke to my friend Tom (wheelerdealer) and he suggested i check the oil pump to case clearance...
So with the left half of the case i  fitted  the oil pump and bolted it in, i did as Tom told me, shone a light down the oil feed galley from the oil filter housing back to the pump, and saw light between the gap on the inside of the case..
Fast Eddie

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 21:45:37 pm »

I took a feeler gauge, and if i remember correctly, got a 0.179mm blade in....

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

just about where the tool is pointing to.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 21:47:10 pm by Fast Eddie » Logged
Fast Eddie

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 21:54:17 pm »

So my thinking is that oil pressure was going straight back into the case and getting whipped up into bubbles by the cam wheel.

any thoughts on this??

Hopefully i will have this problem sorted with a gene berg O ringed oil pump i have got on its way to me...

but i will be waiting untill i have it until i rebuild the motor, just to check there is no light in the gap anymore!!!

who says im cutting it fine to get it finished and ready for some drag racing action at Big Bang this up coming weekend!! Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: