The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 15:58:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BUG IN 25 1980 DKP Mike Billings 1967 VW Sedan Best of Show A History in Images
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: BUG IN 25 1980 DKP Mike Billings 1967 VW Sedan Best of Show A History in Images  (Read 63249 times)
delux67

« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2012, 23:43:12 pm »

Mike

Once you figure out what size engine you are looking to build let me know. You buy all the parts and take care of the machining and if you want I will build the engine for FREE unless you can find someone cheaper LOL!!!

Frenchy

Well..., since you asked. If we could reverse the build process, you buy, I build, I could be rolling in a month and it would be much, much cheaper....for me Grin hehehehe
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2012, 03:40:27 am »

I like where this is going.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
kingsburgphil

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2012, 05:22:11 am »

Is this the start of "Lets build Mike a new car" thread?

If so I'll start off with a pair of B rears, you'll need shoes & cyl's.
delux67

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2012, 08:25:50 am »

Phil,
No question that this is something I would very much like to do. At this moment I am short of making an absolute commitment to doing so and you working with me for many years knows that I don't make committments lightly. I know you know and other friends on the forum have made it abudantly clear to me that this is no insignificant undertaking (not that it was in the past) considering the financial expenditure as well as the time and labor necessary to do a good job.
At any rate I accept your offer of the B model drums and will take possesion, with your blessing of course, once the commitment is made to go forward with the project.
Thank you for the generous donation.
Kindest regards,
Mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:39:21 am by delux67 » Logged
kingsburgphil

« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:13 am »

Phil,
No question that this is something I would very much like to do. At this moment I am short of making an absolute commitment to doing so and you working with me for many years knows that I don't make committments lightly. I know you know and other friends on the forum have made it abudantly clear to me that this is no insignificant undertaking (not that it was in the past) considering the financial expenditure as well as the time and labor necessary to do a good job.
At any rate I accept your offer of the B model drums and will take possesion, with your blessing of course, once the commitment is made to go forward with the project.
Thank you for the generous donation.
Kindest regards,
Mike
Mike,
       I understand where you're coming from, trying to duplicate your 67 under current circumstances would be agony. Perhaps after considering the time, money
and effort, buying a "finished" car and changing it to suit your taste may be an alternative. At least that has worked for me. The mods have been minor and at my leisure,
not overwhelming projects that consume me and my monies.  Maybe I'm getting old, but sometimes I just want to sit on the porch and watch the world go by.

OK, I lied. Sometimes I just want to hit the shift light and watch the world go by  Cheesy

At any rate, please yourself first. And keep those great stories coming  Grin

Phil

delux67

« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2012, 06:06:14 am »

Agony? Financial agony perhaps but I've found a car, it's begging to be torn down, haven't bought it yet though got some details to work through. But if all goes well perhaps the Delux will roll again. I did it at 23 perhaps I can do it at 50 hmhm.
Anybody have any constructive thoughts or ideas?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:59:40 am by delux67 » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:43 am »

Anybody have any constructive thoughts or ideas?

Rather than a straight reproduction, was there anything that you weren't totally happy with last time round? Anything you'd do differently now? I love the car but there's always something on everything I do that I'm not 100% sure on! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
delux67

« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2012, 10:40:34 am »

I wasn't satisfied with the way the brakes worked. The fronts locked before the rear's. I installed a new master cylinder but came to the conclusion that it needed a proportioning valve.  I talked with some guys who had a similar set up like mine who found that an earlier style single stage master cylinder worked better for them.
Also despite the dog house late model oil cooler and relatively low compression 8.5 to 1, it ran warmer than I would like. I wanted to avoid running oil lines to an external cooler. I ran a power pulley and later thought a stock size pulley would've worked better. So I guess I might add an external cooler in addition to the stock late model cooler, a stock size pulley and perhaps try out the earlier master cylinder or perhaps instead of front karman ghia discs and 356 drums, maybe try disc brakes all the way around. Not sure yet, lots to consider. Oh and naturally more displacement and stronger bottom and top end parts that weren't available then. But those are the things that come to mind.
Thanks for asking.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:43:49 am by delux67 » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:35 am »

just wanted add a minor, minute note to your comment on the CR. i'd be led to believe that the CR was too low rather than too high, the overlap of an engle 140 would allow for a little more compression than 8.5:1 would provide... i'd figure that with a higher compression ratio the engine would run more efficiently all together and as a result cooler.

-=something with 2 cents=-

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
delux67

« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2012, 14:44:56 pm »

Point noted. It makes sense.
Gas was a bit less consistent and unleaded gas was something of a mystery then and many of us were concerned with excess heat, pre ignition etc etc. At least that's my recall.
Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:34:49 am by delux67 » Logged
peejke

Keep it simple...

« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2012, 14:40:27 pm »

great car...great story... keep it commin'

Cheeerz

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2013, 23:00:17 pm »

I want to bump this thread  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2013, 00:05:58 am »

Killer thread about a landmark car. finally got the time to go thru every post, what a timepiece and how ahead of its time. These pics are my favorite. Why the scene ever had to evolve from this is beyond me.
Lee.C

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2013, 21:56:16 pm »

I love this thread  Grin

Lee.C

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2014, 01:26:16 am »

So any more info on this one in the last year???  Wink Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2014, 22:39:34 pm »

So any new infomation???

Lee.C

« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2014, 14:33:03 pm »

So any new infomation???

Still a little disapointed we have no more info on this AMAZING car! :/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: