The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 14:51:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  16v alternator, 12v system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 16v alternator, 12v system  (Read 2261 times)
Jonny Grigg

« on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:36 am »

Bit of a dumb question this, but I thought I would check to be sure.... I have a 16v alternator (from JayCee). Will this work as-is on my race car, or do I need a voltage regulator (or a new alternator)? If I need a voltage reg, which one as I can't find much on the web about it.

The car is running a 12v racing battery, MSD Digital 7 and a nitrous system. According to the info the max charge voltage if the battery is 15.2 volts.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be heading back to the stupid corner now.....

Jonny

No Compromise. O/FF111
richie

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:54 am »

Hi jonny,

You can run it like that,but it will kill the battery eventually as you overcharge it,you just need to make sure that everything else will be ok with 16v,the msd stuff is fine,but check fuel pump?or pumps? nitrous stuff etc.
You are better getting a 16v battery long term that swapping the regulator out[available from jaycee and most other places that sell the 16v alt] to the 12v version and taking advantage of the extra that the 16v offers.

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 20:03:20 pm »

As Ritchie said get a 16 volt 3 pole battery. Run some parts from the 12 volt (gauges, fuel pumps,etc) and some parts from the 16 volt. (MSD, starter, data logger etc)

Before you jump, check the depth.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: