The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:47:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  California Caravan stories
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: California Caravan stories  (Read 4034 times)
bugnut68

« on: May 30, 2012, 23:43:04 pm »

Lots of dedicated threads for other subjects, but anyone got any memories of the old California Caravans from the '80s/early '90s?  Always wished I could have been in on one of those, loved reading about them in Hot VWs.  Grin
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10:03 am »

In 1987 my wife and I traveled to California from Phoenix to participate in the last full distance caravan.  We did not know a soul, but managed to have a great time. 

I remember one fellow that had a case of oil on the back seat of his car.  He was saying he would make it regardless of how much oil it took.  If I am not mistaken he was one of the cars smoking and dropping out on the climb up the Grapevine.

When we got to Sacramento they had us form up in an empty parking lot for a photo shoot from a helicopter.  We arrived late to our hotel mostly because of the CHP slowing us down at the last stop on the caravan.  I had prepaid my hotel bill so my reservation was good, but many were not.  I heard one guy say something about a curbside motel.

We went to a restaurant walking distance from the hotel.  My wife and I were wearing out California Caravan T-shirts that we bought at the start in Costa Mesa.  When we walked in we got a round of applause from the patrons and apparently other caravan participants.

The next morning the pool was full of beer and soda cans.  I remember some of crazy folks skate boarding along the balcony in front of my room.  This went on most of the night.  Sure made the VW people look not so good at the time.

This is not much, but we had a great time.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:02 am »

Was in that same caravan, what was it, over 400 VW's? Have some pics, need to find them and scan them and post them. My wife and I had a great time, yup the CHP at the parking lot I think a K-Mart, not sure. They would let out a few at a time, but we gathered down the road again, miss those day's.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:54:58 am by DKK Ted » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 16:22:41 pm »

Yeah Ted there were 419 VWs at the end in Sacramento.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 17:48:37 pm »

Back when VWs were driven as daily transportation in large numbers... nowadays not so much.  I remember reading in Hot VWs about the "party animal" problems.  Kinda helps to sink a good time for those that are respectful to others' property and all, I guess.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:58:21 am »

I know there has to be more of us "seasoned VW folk out there that should chime in, that caravan was the caravan of all caravans.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Lawlessjr

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:40:09 am »

Here is an old poster we have at the shop. I believe this is the original artwork.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 04:41:16 am »

Well while looking through FB, I ran across some pics of VW's on the Caravan, thanks to Fred Noebert, I believe from the UK. While looking, I came across this, a pic of my wifes grey 68' Cal-Look VW that we drove in the caravan. Boy, did it bring back good memories. Was a blast! Thank you Fred for posting the pics on Facebook!

Ted

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:47:13 am by DKK Ted » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Bryan67

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 15:09:08 pm »

I think I went on all of the caravans. Lots of memories. Most of them good. I remember one year when the club in charge was a water cooled club. I would see a white GTI speeding past us on the right shoulder to get ahead of the group. The Kmart parking lot id Merced being overrun with VW`s and the CHP freaking out. And meeting at the track for the group picture. You can barely see my Bus in the magazine.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: