The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 10:10:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350822 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  1600 sauer & sohn for my 56 oval bug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1600 sauer & sohn for my 56 oval bug  (Read 2425 times)
mr horsepower

« on: June 07, 2012, 20:48:36 pm »

Hi loungers i hope this is the right topic to ask my question.
A few jears ago i got hold of a pair of solex 40 p2-4 carbs and intakes  they came from porsche original ,they were verry worn out .
But i liked the way the were worked by hand some body had a hard time on them .
I think the came from a old autocross or rally engine i liked that just to own it
4 jears later a buddy of mine got hold of a set of hand worked old race heads
They have 40mm intake and 32 ex valve
he told me ill could use them to make and engine for display with it nice i thouged
when we looked at the heads and the intake i sayed the look the same as my old school carb/intake set
So i pulled the carbs out of the dust  and placed them on the heads
And then the amezing came .
The match the same as dna on peolpe!!! wauw!
I thouged thats cool ,
So my buddy says lets put then on a flowbench just for fun and the turned out to flow 160 hp!!
But i i consider them to far worn out to use
But i have an 1956 ragtop oval bug that needs a bigger engine and i like old school
And i gonna try to rebirth the old engine parts, But there are cracks in the heads and now i want to now can the be saved i hope so.
Can someone give me advice on that i don t want to use new parts only period time parts  and work to keep it originel and give the builder respect because for me its a part of history that i want to restore
Here are some pics

gr henri
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 21:00:22 pm by mr horsepower » Logged
mr horsepower

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 20:58:58 pm »

Today i made new bushings for the trottleshafts no more play.
They turn verry nice just need to flat the ends and then i can start putting them back together.

gr henri
mr horsepower

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 15:32:36 pm »

Hi today i cleaned the carb housings and the stacks
My buddy came by with his 60 bug and that was a nice chance to test fit them on how it would look
for me it looks good and old school
can t wait to build further.
The camshaft is also in the house a gb311 And the crank would be a okrasa.
Finaly i get rid of that old junk Cheesy

gr henri
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 18:58:15 pm »

Hello Henri.
Nice finds.
A couple of things.

The heads can 90% certain be saved. But it will require a skilled aluminum welder to do it (We can help you out on that if it becomes a problem) You will of course need to install new seats.

If you continue to use the smaller 32 mm exhaust valve I would say that IF the GB311 is a genuine Berg grind, this is not the place to use it. Reason is, that the Berg cams have the exhaust timing advanced in order to make decent torque eventhough low CR is used. With the small exhaust valve you need ALL the timing you can get ABDC to "help" the fumes on their way. A 2 step exhaust system would also come in handy to get the best possible scavenging effect. Then you can make it work quite well.

Have fun.
T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: