The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 00:17:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  TIG welding advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TIG welding advice  (Read 3316 times)
Lids

show me the chedder

« on: June 10, 2012, 15:40:24 pm »

I am thinking about signing up to a TIG welding evening course.

I am also thinking about getting a TIG welder.

Does anybody have an advice, I would have a budget, and it wouldn't be used for really thick materials.  Just sheet metal, but joints etc, welding carb manifolds for porting etc.

What would i need to get in terms of power etc, would prefer one that runs off 240v (mains)

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
richie

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 20:12:49 pm »

I got this one

http://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-tig-200-ac-dc-welder.html

as I am still in the learning phase as well,it works well,welds ally and steel,plugs into the normal 240v socket

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 20:28:32 pm »

richie how have you found the jump from Mig to Tig.  Are you just trying to learn as you go, or are you attending a course.  I'll inspect your work at SCC Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fiatdude

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 22:44:39 pm »

I was pounding all the pawn shops and found one of these -- cheap -- owner of the shop didn't how the secret on how to get these to arc and thought it was broken -- The leads I got were worth more than I paid LOL

The great thing about these units is you can plug them into anything from a 110 socket up to 480v

http://store.cyberweld.com/maxstar200st.html

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 23:03:57 pm »

I have a old lincoln 300/300 tig. Bought from a auction 15 years ago, Love it. The older machines can be fixed cheaper than some of the newer machines. When the circuit boards go bad they can get spendy to fix. From what I was told the higher the amps the lower they will start up on, Which helps welding on thin material. Something that helps me get in the ballpark setting a machine up in one amp per thousnds of a inch welding. So if welding .035 thick steel sheet I run about 30-40 amps and I never use welding rod thicker than the material welding. Something that helps welding thinner metals is useing a magnifier lense in your helmet. Anyway hope this helps in some way for you.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
richie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:27 am »

richie how have you found the jump from Mig to Tig.  Are you just trying to learn as you go, or are you attending a course.  I'll inspect your work at SCC Smiley

Micheal,

I was lucky enough to work at a couple of places that do fab work,so had some basic lessons then,but there is a wealth of info on youtube,yes really,and that combined with trial and error has got me good enough to stick pieces of metal together Grin The frustrating part is being able to do a really nice weld for 3/4 of the work,then the last 1/4 being a bitch.I think going on a course would really help,but finding the time  for me being in one place long enough is difficult.The instructions with the welder for different materials really helped get it set up and welding

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 18:46:09 pm »

i borrowed one for a few days but i can barely weld with a mig Lips Sealed i spent ages welding 2 bits of ally together then tapped it and it broke  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
i have decided to keep paying the welder bloke a few units away to do mine for now  Cheesy but it is one thing i will learn to do one day  Wink Wink

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: