The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:41:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  My old '65 racing at Union Grove, WI
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My old '65 racing at Union Grove, WI  (Read 4053 times)
Fritter

« on: June 14, 2012, 02:56:49 am »

Car was sold 5 years ago and now is owned by Bill Taormina in CA in a "changed" format.  

This was a CLOSE race.  I took my foot off as to not break out at the end, and the grey car edged me out.  

Wheels and tires now on Steve aka "Kenny Rogers'" black car in the next video.   Grin Grin

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWBb5yt0ii8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FWBb5yt0ii8</a>"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWBb5yt0ii8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FWBb5yt0ii8</a>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cV7DN9Pwmaw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cV7DN9Pwmaw</a>"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cV7DN9Pwmaw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cV7DN9Pwmaw</a>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:01:43 am by Mike Fritz » Logged

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:11:15 am »

Good stuff Mike.  I miss your old car.  Looking forward to seeing your new one in person soon.   Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:14 am »

Hi Mike, You did an xlnt job in building the white 65 although MORE POWER was added in way of an 84x94/130/48's... Bill LOVES the car and so do I and have impressed many with its subtle look and Twisting RPM's....   BTW/ The car was stolen 2 years ago and found then rebuilt back to new again to its current state where it sits next to his REDONE grey 58 " ragtop from hell" project from a certain someone who totally SCREWED us. Thanks for being a stand up guy..!!   Peace out, Dyno Don
Fritter

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 14:39:53 pm »

Hi Don.  The grey car is Darrell Baker's old car, isn't it?  The only cal look car I know that has boobs.  Cheesy

Mike F.
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 18:45:25 pm »

I liked "the boobs".... but they are gone as well as about 47% of the rest of the bucket....  would be glad to share the nightmare with you sometime// its like wanting that beautiful blonde /until she opens her mouth..LOL    I would be glad to show you the 65 next time your in town.  cheers Mike,   Dyno Don
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 21:54:08 pm »

Cool car for sure!

Bring the new one up to Union Grove in July and get video of it! See ya there Wink
Fritter

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 00:03:39 am »

Don, would love to hear the '58 story, PM me.  I remember the changes done by the guy who owned it after Darrell....they were not positive changes.

Chuck, yes, I want to bring it to import wars again.  Confirm with me when you are going!  I've put 1000 miles on the '64 already, and I'm getting the itch for a bigger motor......2332 would work.  Time to start collecting parts. 

Mike F.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 19:53:25 pm »

I'm getting the itch for a bigger motor......2332 would work.  Time to start collecting parts. 

I knew it!!!   Grin

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 22:44:03 pm »

Mike, After bailing out D.B. with a $40K check he has not to this day returned any (of the many) Bill Taorminas calls for any of the requested magazines, literature,and everything else he promised as a part of the sale. Bill was so disgusted with the lack of attention to the necessary details such as faulty equipment/ shit steering box, non working shifter(I was the ONLY person who could grab any gears) and took Doug Berg about 6 hours trying his earnest to repair the botched up work that someone did prior to get the shifter to engage properly, wiring harnesss that wasnt even completed as it was just stuffed into a taped up mess under the chassis,non charging issues as a result,leaking engine, brakes that were needing work, accessory items non op, the list goes on and on and was quite extensive to say the least...A beautiful car as Buddy Hale and staff did an awesome job on body and paint,and thats where it stopped... but D.B. was having financial issues and as well as some personal problems so I mediated the deal only to get everything shoved up my exit hole.  NOT the Darrell I once knew...  The car has gone through a transformation of sorts and Bill T. is now happy after spending a fortune with MY time as well as others trying to straighten out the mess. I can still remember getting it off the rack and proceded to do a mild launch when it suddenly locked up and stopped running/took and entire day just to diagnose the electrical and brake issues.  Peace Out,Dyno Don
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 00:19:49 am »

Sunday July 8th is the next Import wars.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 02:53:31 am »

Mike,
I hope that great red "salt & Pepper" interior wasn't ruined when it was stolen.
Were you there the night we all went out to eat after a race and convinced the waitress that Steve "Kenny Rogers" was a celebrity look alike stripper ?
I think she really believed it !
 Grin
Fritter

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 05:30:11 am »

Richard, no I wasn't there for that but it sounds hilarious.  Steve is a really, really good guy and his black car kicks butt.

Chuck, I think I will have to attend that 7/8 import wars!  I'm getting the itch to do some drag racing.

Dyno, that all sounds bad, sorry to hear that.  Divorces can really mess someone up, though.  I had to go over every inch of the white '65 as far as mechanicals when I got it back, lots of things were messed up.  The body and paint was pristine as you know, and for the price I paid, Buddy definitely did extra as far as assembly, so I can't complain too much.  As you know, my white car was 100% accurately represented and Bill told me that it was the best car he had ever bought as far as his expectations.  I'm glad he's happy with it and I will definitely hit you guys up if I get back to Socal anytime soon, Bill offered also....I haven't been to Socal since the first "new" Bugin in 2005. 

Mike F.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: