The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:04:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What is your VW activity today ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: What is your VW activity today ?  (Read 52694 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2012, 09:08:15 am »

I started to strip the paint on the roof of my bay window. Looks like a long walk through a desert to do  Tongue Tongue

JF, do yourself a huge favor and get a 3M coating-removal disc. Here is one for reference:

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10

The pads attach to a hook-and-loop (Velcro) backing plate for a car polisher. You can use a high-speed grinder but I advise a variable-speed car polisher. They do not cost much more than a grinder and the pads work best at slower speeds where they will not overheat the panel.

I stripped my wife's Baja with these discs. I had to soften the top coat with chemical stripper. I did not have to strip that entire coat, though. Just scrape off whatever the stripper loosens and then use the coating-removal disc.

This car had four coats of paint: Ruby red, white, a very thick layer of sticky brown rust-preventative primer, and bronze. The bronze was sprayed in the 1970s.

This took a weekend:

This took a few evenings. It was unnecessary but I thought I might as well go all the way.

Thanks for the advice.  Smiley

I have try a lot's of differents things to strip it. From 80 grit on a DA to 40 grit on a variable speed grinder ( BOSCH Pws 13-125  super tool and a must have to do bodywork for any DIY) . Works great but need lot's of care. It can put a lot's of heat on the panel and wraps it and dig quickly in the metal.
 I also try different kind of wire wheels, both on a grinder and a drill machine. I found one from KWB that works quite well and really remove any rust. Metal looks like it had been sand blasted.

The problem with this project is the paint used on the 2 respray it has received. It clogs abrasives discs like crazy  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:10:18 am by j-f » Logged
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2012, 16:21:47 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  Smiley

I have try a lot's of differents things to strip it. From 80 grit on a DA to 40 grit on a variable speed grinder ( BOSCH Pws 13-125  super tool and a must have to do bodywork for any DIY) . Works great but need lot's of care. It can put a lot's of heat on the panel and wraps it and dig quickly in the metal.
 I also try different kind of wire wheels, both on a grinder and a drill machine. I found one from KWB that works quite well and really remove any rust. Metal looks like it had been sand blasted.

The problem with this project is the paint used on the 2 respray it has received. It clogs abrasives discs like crazy  Tongue

Hey Jean,

You have the same problems that I had with that Baja. The primer under its last coat of paint turned to glue when I tried to strip it by conventional means.

As you have discovered you should never ever use a coarse abrasive like 40 grit on a grinder on a body panel. They hurt far more than they help. And once you use that coating-removal disc you will laugh at the idea of using a wire brush to strip paint. That disc was designed to remove paint and sticky materials like asphalt-based undercoating. Your paint will not even come close to clogging it. Your paint will not stand a chance against that disc. And if you use it properly that disc will not warp metal. It cannot gouge it either.

Those discs are so good that I used them to strip the paint off my HOUSE! And you probably know how gooey latex paint can get if you try to sand it. I really recommend those discs. They saved me so much work and grief.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
IP359

« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2012, 22:24:22 pm »

Buy few original Empi/Lemmertz wheels in 4.5x15 for a bargain price.......
+ 3
 Grin

Neil Davies

« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2012, 23:17:31 pm »

Got the heads off my 1600. The head studs ended up coming out of the case - couldn't get the nuts off without the use of a vice and patience! Roll Eyes Then looked at the heads - hemi cut. Balls. Angry

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2012, 03:04:10 am »

Got the heads off my 1600. The head studs ended up coming out of the case - couldn't get the nuts off without the use of a vice and patience! Roll Eyes Then looked at the heads - hemi cut. Balls. Angry

Well look at the bright side. Now you know why it was hard to jet, ran hot when pushed, and drank so much fuel!  Wink

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2012, 07:31:48 am »

Well, my motor fired up, NO leaks, timed it, checked oil pressure, all very good, now for some jetting, and I'm good to go. Big relief.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2012, 10:59:56 am »

Well, my motor fired up, NO leaks, timed it, checked oil pressure, all very good, now for some jetting, and I'm good to go. Big relief.  Grin

Ted

I think it's the perfect time to crack open a beer  Smiley
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2012, 17:52:32 pm »

Ted

I think it's the perfect time to crack open a beer  Smiley

j-f, you are so right, today I will, after jetting.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2012, 19:53:20 pm »

As the weather is exceptionally mild (24°c on Monday! ), I took the opportunity to continue working on my van.

It starts to look like something better that a patchwork of old paints  Cheesy
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2012, 05:49:14 am »

Took the car out finally today, 2 issues, fuel pressure WAY high, 8 lbs, and gas cable slipped out of the linkage, LOL!! 2 fixes, no problem.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
whirligig

« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2012, 11:27:08 am »

pre empt but of to Shakey for Halloween Burnup.loads of campers turning up from forest of dean ,sat night party on.just pray the rain holds of for sunday.

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2012, 00:30:58 am »

This probably DOESN'T apply, but I'm installing a CRAZY 3" turbo-back exhaust system into an '06 BRM TDI Jetta ... NO muffler! It's CRAZY loud under power!
Already has BIG turbo, injectors, intake ... blah, Blah, BLAH ... tune & now finally the exhaust.
CRAZY!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2012, 02:25:10 am »

FINALLY got my garage at home back in order! YEEHAH!!! & WOOHOO!!!

Been down for about 5 months since we had a water leak in the exterior wall ...

THEN I got the chamber work done on my daily driver engine project heads done ... THINK they're done anyhow!  Wink
Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight?
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
normac67

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2012, 04:41:20 am »

Looks good Tom! Bluey looks great in there.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:32 am »

Tom,  you get a nice place to work and play  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: