The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 22:10:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Need advise for turbo type-4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need advise for turbo type-4  (Read 2116 times)
tezer

« on: June 28, 2012, 18:43:12 pm »

Is there someone that have experience whit turbo on a type-4?
need some advise on exhaust ports and seat material!
is it best to cut down the valve guide so its flush whit exhaust port
and is it better to use Beryllium copper valve seat then normal steel one?
Airspeed

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 22:55:02 pm »

I run a turbo type 4 on the street and track (drag and circuit). No cutting guides off in the ports and just normal good seat material.
Keeping the engine cool (air, oil) and the intake charge cool combined with GOOD tuning (timing, AFR) and it lives a long time. This will be the 4th year my engine runs with the same head (valves, seat, guides)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6jTdDENIXwY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6jTdDENIXwY</a>

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
tezer

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:50:55 am »

Thank you for the advise and tips!
have you grind the valve guide boss down in exhaust port completely,so it flush whit port?
or have you just trim it down littebit?
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I was thinking on putting in 44-40 valves and se if it works or not,i believe that the problem whit type4 heads is hat
the intake port outflow the exhaust port, causing the exhaust to run weary warm, and if i put bigger exhaust valve then maby i can make
exhaust flow enough to take away the inlet charge,I'm no expert in type4 heads and this project will be experimental

I will be using intercoooler and maby water injection if the cooler is not enough
and for fuel system i will be using magasquirt and maby e85 as fuel i will SE if i need it or not when i get the car running!
Airspeed

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:30:40 am »

No cutting guides off in the ports ..

As per above: NO cutting down guide bosses to the wall.
Picture of LE180 head is pretty much how mine are as well as far as guide boss is concerned  Wink

The original  porsche T4 914 2.0 head has already an almost ideal ratio intake/exhaust flow from the factory (porsche designed), so not too worry too much.
I run 46/40mm valves fwiw and my heads made 220hp at just 6000 rpm when N/A, so these heads are a very good basis.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: