The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 11:47:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New Pistons available to VW owners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New Pistons available to VW owners  (Read 14282 times)
bugnut68

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 22:41:06 pm »

The AA's seem to suffer from QC problems.  There are different runs, and hence good batches and also poor batches.  Their reputation was not helped when a guy in the states went directly to the factory and started selling the ones that failed AA's own QC.

If you search on here about them, you will see a lot of different experiences.  I know that the best ones came out of the factory with a blue paint dot on the inside.  These were used in very quick turbo cars with no problems.  

Any chance you could forward me his name?  PM would be fine.
Gotcha... just want to know who to avoid doing business with in the event an outfit is willing to market second-rate crap that didn't pass inspection the first go-around.

Don't have a name, sorry.  I think they went under the company name QCS.  or something like that.
Taylor

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 00:35:43 am »

That sounds like what I heard about "belly up" Serrano's.  I am only assuming, and you know what that does!!!  Anyways,  not that I have ever used AAs but when they came with like .001 p-c clearance I thought that was good so you could have a good, square hone put on them.  Mahle's come in at about .003-.0035 so if they are oval, too bad.
 Not defending AA here, for their early runs, but if you don't check it......your fault!!!! Period!   They could have easily come out and said what I stated as the reason for being undersized.  Furthermore, I understand some really good guys are working down at AA now, piddling around with the parts and maybe playing strip poker after work.     Wink
K-Roc

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 05:58:07 am »

.  Furthermore, I understand some really good guys are working down at AA now, piddling around with the parts and maybe playing strip poker after work.     Wink

Smart ass.... Get any grease stains on that vintage Berg shirt yet?

richie

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 09:01:29 am »

These were used in very quick turbo cars with no problems. 

Eh?  Shocked  you sure about that?

Yes

They were also used in other quick turbo cars with problems.

You need the AA pistons with a graphite skirt

Micheal I am not being dificult but who? and whats quick? I dont see anyone running 8s using AA anything,and the only car to run 7s definately isnt

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:52 am »

These were used in very quick turbo cars with no problems. 

Eh?  Shocked  you sure about that?

Yes

They were also used in other quick turbo cars with problems.

You need the AA pistons with a graphite skirt

Micheal I am not being dificult but who? and whats quick? I dont see anyone running 8s using AA anything,and the only car to run 7s definately isnt

cheers richie

Richie, I am trying to get back a few years, I do remember the problems that some of the US racers had, but it only seemed to be some of them, not everyone.  If i remember at the time there were some people who were using them and reporting no issues.  Quick to me is anything uder 11's.

We both know you get what you pay for, the same could be said about the lifter issue we saw.  Everybody then moved to tool steel lifters at a 900% price increase to hopefully solve the problem.  Wait until we see the new Mahles when they come out of China!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
richie

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:04 am »

We both know you get what you pay for, the same could be said about the lifter issue we saw.  Everybody then moved to tool steel lifters at a 900% price increase to hopefully solve the problem. 

Not me,I havent found any need for over priced tool steel lifters that still fail,and yes they do but no one will admit it,but i have seen them.

I tried some things,broke some stuff and figured out what normal lifters work for me Smiley

Wait until we see the new Mahles when they come out of China!

i thought thats what Stateside has now? and I dont want to be the 1st to use them for sure,I would rather pay extra and get a quality piston from wiseco,JE or CP,Ross whoever than lose a motor when a piston lets go.

And going back to the AA's,maybe we only heard about the ones that broke,but there were plenty,turbo or nitrous or N/A it didnt matter they broke,only person I know who had any success with them was Mike lawless.

For a normal everyday street motor they are proberly fine,but would I use them,not a chance.

cheers richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: