The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 23:04:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  sleeving up a case?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: sleeving up a case?  (Read 5690 times)
nicolas

« on: August 07, 2012, 19:10:25 pm »

can you put some sort of sleeve in a case that was bored for 94 mm cylinders? i have 90.5 heads and pistons and cylinders, but the case i have was opened up for 94... how can i solve this?

dragvw2180

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 19:36:19 pm »

The guys at MEGA MACHINE just recently did some for a friend , here is a link to their site. Todd and David are great guys who do beautiful work at a reasonable price. Tell them Mike McCarthy recommended them, they do my specialty machine work on my PRO OUTLAW car,

http://www.megamachineinc.com/
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 19:53:04 pm »

thanks. very much appreciated, but i was looking for information to tackle this job myself... i am unsure if i need to sleeve the cylinders and have the trouble that the ring is too tight or the case and maybe end up with a material that is not compatible and may work lose.
brian e

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 22:51:47 pm »

I would think having a steel sleeve made to press onto the base of the cyl's would be the best bet.  You could make the OD of the sleeve whatever you want for clearance between the cyl. and case.  The similar materials will stay together, and you will still be able to move up to 94's in the future.  Only issue I could think of is maybe loosing some sealing surface at the bottom of the cyl.

Just a thought.
OC1967vw

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 00:12:28 am »

expansion and contraction rates?
ED2.4

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:38 am »

Hi,
i think it's the same thing  Rocky Jennings and Udo (i believe) are doing on a wbx case when they want to put some T1/T4 94mm  liners on ,
you can see the sleeve on the cylinder#1 ,sorry for the little pic
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

DeluxeRacingTeam >>>>  http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/
OC1967vw

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:24 am »

Hi,
i think it's the same thing  Rocky Jennings and Udo (i believe) are doing on a wbx case when they want to put some T1/T4 94mm  liners on ,

their sleeve is for a race motor-with very limited long term road use. not for street application
Taylor

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »

Hi,

their sleeve is for a race motor-with very limited long term road use. not for street application

"Limited" and "long term" are a contradiction.  The OP neither implied, nor suggested, that he was interested in a long term solution.  He asked a question and got an answer, quite a viable one.  Your qualms with the solution are legitimate but the arrogance in which you present them, with no alternative, are annoying at best and unfavorable to forum progression.   
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:39 am »

so i am looking at the picture and from what i can see it looks like a ring with a top border so the cylinder can seat properly on it.

that can work, only thing is i wanted to use a 78 crank with B pistons and a tight deck. but i'll figure that out later on when i build the actual motor. thanks for helping, if someone wants to leave more comments or suggestions, feel free to do so.
fish

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 12:08:42 pm »

Hi Nicolas, it is not an advisable mod IMO, the pic you are referring to has been plugged and offset re-drilled to suit stud pattern that is required and machined accordingly.
Easiest and cheapest for you to do is open the heads for 94, get a 94 piston barrel set and sell your 90.5 to recoup the cost.

my 2 cents

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
ED2.4

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 16:52:10 pm »

Hi Nicolas, it is not an advisable mod IMO, the pic you are referring to has been plugged and offset re-drilled to suit stud pattern that is required and machined accordingly.
Easiest and cheapest for you to do is open the heads for 94, get a 94 piston barrel set and sell your 90.5 to recoup the cost.

my 2 cents

yes for sure ,it's the most reliable way,but sleeves are a solution too if properly done,

the problem is the sleeve skirt thickness ,cause 94 mm bores in case are approx 97.25mm and 90.5 liner skirt diameter  96mm(if i'm right) ,so 0,5mm that's not a lot  

some Rocky's sleeves:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 17:00:18 pm by ED2.4 » Logged

DeluxeRacingTeam >>>>  http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/
nicolas

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 16:50:53 pm »

yep that is also what worries me the most, the thickness of the sleeve. it will be thin and maybe not offer much support. i want to have it for a daily driver car and it must be 'worry-free' so i am looking at a different solution probably. thanks for the help.
Stripped66

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 17:36:18 pm »

Hi,
i think it's the same thing  Rocky Jennings and Udo (i believe) are doing on a wbx case when they want to put some T1/T4 94mm  liners on ,

I have 18K daily-driven street miles with Rocky's sleeves. They have looked fine after every tear-down.

You do not want to press the sleeve onto the cylinder. You need clearance between the cylinder and the sleeve, and between the sleeve and the case to allow for differences in expansion rate.
richie

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 18:06:48 pm »

I did wonder if it would be possible to make the sleeves from the bottom of some old 94 cylinders,same material and pressumably expansion rates then,similar to a power sleeve thats used on the top of the cylinder for a turbo car

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 19:53:01 pm »

how is this done? as i am worried about squeezing the cylinder too much when the sleeve is put on or when things (different materials=different expansion rates) heat up.

i was sure you would suggest to simply put in 94's and be done with it.  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: