The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 15:49:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Nothing lasts forever
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nothing lasts forever  (Read 2039 times)
Donny B.

« on: January 22, 2013, 20:26:57 pm »

As mentioned in another post, last night we had the farewell dinner for Wolfsburg Registry.  Wolfsburg Registry has been in existence for over 20 years, but interest has waned in the last year or so.  The decision was made to fold the club and donate the remaining funds to charity.  This small club in Phoenix has so far donated over $30k to charity. Before we folded the club we decided to get together as many club members past and present as we could.  We had lost touch with many over the years and some decided not to attend.  We did have a fun time last night handing out some memorabilia from the clubs past.  I see the California clubs that continue on today and I marvel at how long they manage this.

Some tidbits from the past: 

In 1995 we had a 28 car caravan to the classic and a number of the cars were featured on the cover of the red Berg catalog.  Fortunately for me my car was both on the outside cover and the inside cover as was Rick Mortensen's teal '67.  Both Rick and I had our cars featured in Hot VWs and many other club cars have been featured in the magazines over the years.  Not too bad...

For seven years Wolfsburg Registry was the host club for the Phoenix Bug-O-Rama.  This allowed us to recruit new members of a like mind.  Our motto was "Dedicated to street driven Volkswagens".

We had members participate in the Gene Berg Memorial Cruise and I was fortunate enough to have my some of my articles featured in VW Trends.  I remember we had a very large contingent of members travel to the Spring Meet at Kelly Park one year and we supported the Solvang show for many years.

Frenchy actually had our club be the host club for the VW Classic two years in a row.  Frenchy is good friends with Rich Kimbal.  It is nice to have friends in high places.  Thanks Frenchy! 

Like the title says nothing lasts forever.  So today we say farewell to Wolfsburg Registry.  It has been a lot of fun and we have made a lot of friends over the years.  We still have the friends if not the club.

Thanks to all...!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 21:39:22 pm »

It's a shame when things come to an end but better to end it now rather than dragging it out, and you got to do some good for charity too.
 My club was started as Half A Brain Vee Dub Club around 1993 as a general interest Vw and party club, then became H.A.B. Volkswagen Club around 1999 with more of a focus on Cal Look beetles, with my Ghia and the odd Type 3. A lot of the members got into split buses and parked up or sold their Cal Lookers, and after the death of our chairman, the club kind of just ceased to be. We'll always be part of the club, even if the club doesn't exist.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: