The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 23:55:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  compression ratio, rod length, 2332cc
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: compression ratio, rod length, 2332cc  (Read 7194 times)
pupjoint

« on: July 27, 2012, 17:21:29 pm »

ok, time has come for me to get the remaining parts to complete the 2332cc, been a while, but now geographically i am at a place where getting in parts is a lot easier and lower import duties.

i have the following in the room

1. new AS41 block prepped and machined by JMR , full flowed, bored for 94s, galleries drilled and tapped. no silicone bronze sleeves
2. CB 84mm crank
3. CB 8mm headstuds
4. Berg 30mm pump, full flow kit etc
5. Schadeck 26mm pump, plugged
6. Berg 3.5 sump, Scat 2 quart sump
7. Berg 1.4 rockers used, CB 1.4 rockers new
8. Berg welded fan
9. Jaycee pushrod tubes
10. SLR treated lifters Wisseman
11. K8, K10 cams, CB straight cuts
12. german flywheel, i lightened and balanced to 4.5kg, 8 dowelled
13. Berg pulley notched for crank trigger

this are what i plan to get

1. L7 heads from John with match ported manifolds (budget does not allow JPM heads yet), CC will be decided on my CR
2. custom pistons with shorter compression height from Ross Pistons or JE (thinking of using longer rods)
3. 5.6 or 5.7 rods from John (haven't decided on the length), but goal is to match with the pistons so he engine won't be too wide, don't wana cut body
4. ditch the K8 and K10 and order JPM cam, his lifters and aluminum pushrods, Oteva Springs, titanium retainers
5. Stage 1 clutch plate with Art's copperhead disc
6. might ditch the mag case for full aluminum from John though he doesn't recommend it, provided i can order it with all the specific machine and oiling mods , Hoover mods done in the USA.

induction will be 45mm throttle bodies, crank trigger, Haltech Platinum Sport ECU.

stock doghouse shroud, stock cooler, full flow filter and additional cooler if required.

gearing is stock for now, car will be a weekend car mostly, but try to drive as much as possible to work. no drag race. no place for any also. has HD cradle, CSP bar and traction bar.

car is a dkp style cal look 66.

fuel i can get European RON 97. thats the highest from the pumps in my place.

whats the highest CR i can run with the planned combo and available pump fuel? i am thinking around 10?

this will affect my decision when i order the heads, and rod length. will speak to johannes on the cam and valve train parts.

thanks!

richie

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 17:47:06 pm »

I look at it the other way round,the heads and cam will decide what compression to run,that along with fuel available and weight of car and gearing

I have no idea what heads L7 are?

If it was me I would run the k8 you have and get some cnc wedgeports,set it around 10.3- 10.5/1 compression and enjoy driving it around Smiley

cheers richie

Oh and I would get a set of "B" height pistons and 5.5 rods

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 18:51:24 pm »

I look at it the other way round,the heads and cam will decide what compression to run,that along with fuel available and weight of car and gearing

If it was me I would run the k8 you have and get some cnc wedgeports,set it around 10.3- 10.5/1 compression and enjoy driving it around Smiley

cheers richie

X2
Shag55

Shag Leone, SL-1racing

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 19:32:24 pm »

X2 on rod length but I like the k10 with the bigger heads.

325hp and 290# torque @17psi on 91 pump
383hp and 324# torque @23psi on 50/50 mix
Shag55.sl1racing@gmail.com
Facebook at SL 1 racing
pupjoint

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:07:15 am »

cheers richie

thanks richie. L7 heads are these http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Wheelie-King-Cylinder-Heads-L7s-Pair-p/l7-heads-pair.htm

will look at the CB wedge ports and the rest of the stuff you mentioned  Grin

btw, what fuel yo guys get in the UK?
RhoadsVW

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 03:32:23 am »

cheers richie

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
richie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:32:07 am »

cheers richie

thanks richie. L7 heads are these http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Wheelie-King-Cylinder-Heads-L7s-Pair-p/l7-heads-pair.htm

will look at the CB wedge ports and the rest of the stuff you mentioned  Grin

btw, what fuel yo guys get in the UK?

ah i see,when you said John,having mentioned JMR I thought you ment john maher,hence the confusion Smiley

We can get fuel branded as 99

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Greg G

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 17:38:46 pm »

Just make sure you check the rod side clearance. That is one thing that is often missed and will cause a rod bearing failure.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 19:40:00 pm »

Web 86C  Grin Ohh, well, if you have the FK10 on the shelf it will do. Super Pro heads. 5,52 rods.
with the C cam and 11-1 CR you are in for a treat  Grin how about 200ish hp and 250-260 Nm torque ?

If you are ready to step up to a Raptor cam, Johannes has a split cam that is suitable for fast street cars. I forgot the number. Will have to check in my shop book. It makes very nice power. Slightly down on hp compared to the C cam, but a very nice and wide torque band, which makes the engine very usable.

T
pupjoint

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:55:26 am »

Web 86C  Grin Ohh, well, if you have the FK10 on the shelf it will do. Super Pro heads. 5,52 rods.
with the C cam and 11-1 CR you are in for a treat  Grin how about 200ish hp and 250-260 Nm torque ?

If you are ready to step up to a Raptor cam, Johannes has a split cam that is suitable for fast street cars. I forgot the number. Will have to check in my shop book. It makes very nice power. Slightly down on hp compared to the C cam, but a very nice and wide torque band, which makes the engine very usable.

T

thanks Torben.

what do you mean by Super Pro heads? my info on heads is limited to what i get from CB, john and ACN, Timms.

no issues  on the 11-1 CR with 97 RON Euro?  whats 5.52 rods? i thought they all come in 5.5", 5.6" 5.7"?

i am really interested in the Raptor cam and yes i am prepared to step up to it. the 8 and 10 i can easily sell them off as there is a demand for them locally.

also willing to pay more for pistons apart from the usual Mahle, AA etc.

everything will be flown in, so it actually doesnt make much diff on the shipping cost for me.

pupjoint

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:35 am »

Just make sure you check the rod side clearance. That is one thing that is often missed and will cause a rod bearing failure.

will do. thanks.
Fast Bug

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 16:29:35 pm »

Super Pro heads is made by CB Performance  Wink
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1867
bedjo78

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:59 am »

If you got 1.25 rocker. web 121/125 will idle like stock and perform up to 8000rpm like 86C.  for heads I have installed CB CNC oval port . flycut to desire compression and have fun with it. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: